PDA

View Full Version : Bendethera valley

MRGC
04-02-08, 09:35 PM
Anyone been there, can someone shed some light on what the tracks are like, campsite and what maps I need with some trail names.

Thanx in advance!

harv_the
05-02-08, 07:49 AM
We just visited Deua NP and stayed at the Bendethera campsite (last Australia day LW). loved it, great scenery, lots of animals. The 4wd possibilities are very wide, lots of tracks and i can recommend them to everyone. the tracks we have been on were grade A, easy, but very steep. i am sure there is more heavy stuff around, but we didn't had time to look for it all. If you like rivercrossings, there are plenty around.

you might find a stock red TJ there.. it did some of the rivercrossings a bid to enthusiastic and wouldn't start anymore.

harv_the
05-02-08, 08:06 AM
and the movie..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nesK67ykD7Y

MRGC
06-02-08, 11:20 PM
Can you give info on how to get there and what maps did you use for the area.

Antz
08-02-08, 12:15 AM
Best map for overall coverage is "South Coast Forest Map" from State forests of NSW

For topos (not really needed if you are sticking to the main trails) you will need Snowball, Bendethera and maybe Burrumela, Mogo and Moruya.

I have been many times. You can go East to West, start from Moruya and head NW on Araluen Rd which follows the Deua River. The cross the river at the Dry Creek camping area and head into Deua NP. Head south west (ish) on the Merricumbene Trail and Dampier Mountain Trail down into the Bendethera Valley (Top camping here along the river). Then head back up and out along Dampier Mountain Trail and Middle Mountain Rd. At the NP exit, turn right to head to Braidwood. OR west to east the opposite of above. This is just the main route through, there are a lot of tracks to explore in the area.

Tracks are not rough at all, just steep. No problem at all in the dry, if wet, the steep sections can be slippery, but need a lot of rain to be a problem.

Best camp sites are at Dry creek at the east end of the park and Bendethera valley campsite in the middle. Bendethera Valley is one of my favorite places to camp, you could have hundereds of people camping there and still find a spot to yourself. The grassed areas look like they have been mown there is fresh water in the river at both spots and longdrop dunnies too.

Haven't been in a while, maybe we should run a club trip here?

jeepthing
08-02-08, 10:12 AM
I have been many times. You can go East to West, start from Moruya and head NW on Araluen Rd which follows the Deua River. The cross the river at the Dry Creek camping area and head into Deua NP. Head south west (ish) on the Merricumbene Trail and Dampier Mountain Trail down into the Bendethera Valley (Top camping here along the river). Then head back up and out along Dampier Mountain Trail and Middle Mountain Rd. At the NP exit, turn right to head to Braidwood. OR west to east the opposite of above. This is just the main route through, there are a lot of tracks to explore in the area.

Tracks are not rough at all, just steep. No problem at all in the dry, if wet, the steep sections can be slippery, but need a lot of rain to be a problem.

Haven't been in a while, maybe we should run a club trip here?

Antz, im heading down to Batemans Bay/Moruya this weekend for a few days with the plan (weather pending) to do a quick day drive on some of the tracks you mentioned. but ill be doing a loop back to moruya via sugarloaf rd. ive heard its pretty slippery when wet and you say you need a lot of rain to be a problem. would the rain we've had in sydney over the last week, which the south coast have copped as well, be a problem for track slipperiness and the river crossings?

Antz
08-02-08, 12:06 PM
To be sure I would contact the National Parks office for the area, Narooma maybe?

If they have had as much rain as we have had in Sydney I would say there is a good chance the tracks will be very slippery and the rivers will be high. Last time I was there it looked like that the last time the tracks were graded they put down some crushed rock gravel on the steeper sections which will help in the wet.

But with the amout of rain we have had anything is possible :)

Good luck and get some pics.

JPLyn
08-02-08, 12:30 PM
Sounds like you are volunteering to lead a trip Antz :)

jeepthing
08-02-08, 12:56 PM
To be sure I would contact the National Parks office for the area, Narooma maybe?

If they have had as much rain as we have had in Sydney I would say there is a good chance the tracks will be very slippery and the rivers will be high. Last time I was there it looked like that the last time the tracks were graded they put down some crushed rock gravel on the steeper sections which will help in the wet.

But with the amout of rain we have had anything is possible :)

Good luck and get some pics.

Thanks Antz, i rang the NPWS at Noorma just after my last post. Tracks arent closed but impassable due to wet weather. Creeks will have high water. So no 4wding for me this w/e :'( :'( :'(. i still might check out Deua river though. and the D grade tracks of the state forests around Mogo- somethings better than nothing! ;D

future club trip down this way sounds good...

MRGC
09-02-08, 12:06 PM
Thanx antz, after you mentioned the south coast forest map I remembered I had it in my draw after I went and bought the topo maps, (price went up to $9.50 each last week).

Now following the trails that you said we're going to do the same, is there some challenging tracks close to the bendethra and deua cmapsites.

jeepthing
13-02-08, 06:29 PM
ive got some photos up in my gallery from monday. not sure how to insert images from my sjc gallery into a post...

i checked out dry creek campsite only. man, what a nice place! even though it was quite warm on the sunday and monday and the tracks had dried up, the water in the Deua river was waist deep and there was a large step up to the bank on the other side due to erosion. the deua river was nice and fresh and beautiful to swim in. in some sections was flowing quite fast so my mates and i had fun being swept down stream- just got to watch out for those submerged rocks....

i definately plan to visit this area agin! :)

homedg
13-02-08, 07:37 PM
;D ;D Beaut Lookin' Spot! ;D ;D

MRGC
16-02-08, 03:15 PM
ive got some photos up in my gallery from monday. not sure how to insert images from my sjc gallery into a post...

i checked out dry creek campsite only. man, what a nice place! even though it was quite warm on the sunday and monday and the tracks had dried up, the water in the Deua river was waist deep and there was a large step up to the bank on the other side due to erosion. the deua river was nice and fresh and beautiful to swim in. in some sections was flowing quite fast so my mates and i had fun being swept down stream- just got to watch out for those submerged rocks....

i definately plan to visit this area agin! :)

Sounds good but for some reason cant view the photos.

jeepthing
16-02-08, 07:58 PM
Sounds good but for some reason cant view the photos.

not sure, im able to see them ok.....

sir_camel
17-02-08, 02:54 PM
yea they work for me too. looks like a great spot