PDA

View Full Version : removing snapped bolts

azasjeep
12-05-08, 10:57 AM
Went for a night run on friday after fitting my new control arm mounts and wanting an excuse to try out the currie antirock - Best money ever spent.

Anyway somewere along bowmans creek road i snapped the rear shock at the top mount and peeled it open like a banana. Now 1 bolt will come straight out, the other however is snapped in half.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to get the bugger outta there so i can get a new shock in there asap so i can get out and break something else.

Thanks

casey
12-05-08, 12:04 PM
you could try gluing an allen key to the sheared end of it with Araldite and then unscrewing it from the hole...

http://www.selleys.com.au/Selleys-Araldite-Super-Strength/default.aspx

Steve F
12-05-08, 01:11 PM
Much bolt sticking out? Rusty looking or OK?

The most important thing is to not stuff it up so much a mechanic with the right tools cant get it out ;) I've had luck with cutting a slot in the end and using a t-handle screw driver, never had any luck with ezy-outs. I normally leave this to the professionals if some quick attempts don't do it, saves a lot of time and skinned knuckles and is usually around $20.

Cheers
Steve

azasjeep
12-05-08, 01:53 PM
got about half an inch exposed to grab onto, looks to be clean no rust at all, ill give it a go tonight if i cant get it out without stuffing it ill pop into a mechanic in the morning and see if they can do it for me.

PureCaboose
12-05-08, 04:39 PM
File a flat on oposing sides and use an open end spanned to unbolt it.......used to work for me on the landrover when I was pulling it apart...

Greg

jenko
14-05-08, 04:06 PM
If you can get a drill to it, use a drill bit that is the next size down from the bolt size then drill the bolt out then retop the fred.