PDA

View Full Version : Willowglen 2008

casey
07-07-08, 04:38 PM
Last time I checked, we were ONE Jeep off a full team (we need 4) to compete in the Willowglen event.

I've never been to it before and have a few questions that weren't answered on the LCCA website (I emailed the LCCA these questions last week, but have gotten no reply from them, so I'm trying here)

* What kind of events make up the competition?
* What are the minimum specs of vehicles allowed to compete?
* Are there maximum specs of vehicles allowed to compete?
* Are there different classes for vehicles competing (like an unmodified class? or are they all 35"+ Tuff-trucks?)
* What kind of on-site support is there for breakages?

Does anyone have an answer to these questions ???

Steve F
07-07-08, 04:51 PM
Events include a bit of everything.

Man made log course, nothing to bad thier you either get over the logs or not. Mud run, wet and muddy. Rocky gully, a it of a bugger this with some vehicles getting stuck before they got to the start line!!! Up and down a hill, loos and slippery but little chance of damage. So basically nothing too extreme.

No minimum specs, they have a stock class (At least I think they do) You really would need muddies and some lift though and I think the lockers would put you in modified.

Maximum specs are 35" tyres I think as they no longer have an extreme class. So no buggies etc.

Minimum support on site, you need to rely on the rest of the team etc, although they will get you off the course and it's all right next to the camp ground etc.

Hmmm, hopefully that helps a bit :)

Cheers
Steve

casey
07-07-08, 07:41 PM
Ok, maybe next year then.

Thanks Steve :)

AJ
07-07-08, 08:28 PM
Standard class is up to 33" tires and maximum 2" lift. Trophy class is up to a 36" tire and any lift. I'm pretty sure that lockers are allowed in both classes but I would definately recommend some form of body protection as both classes share part of the courses, it's only in the more difficult areas that the track splits into two.
This is a great first event to get into competitive 4x4, as it isn't really a case of destroying your vehicle to win a stage. It is more about driving smart and controlled.
If there is somebody in the club thinking about entering, I really think that a wrangler fitted with 33's, 2-2.5" lift and front & rear lockers would have a excellent chance at taking out standard class and all the points count towards a team total.

Here are a few vids of our club competing last year ;D
http://www.youtube.com/v/7qp0C4mwgR8&hl=en&fs=1

http://www.youtube.com/v/rgGCezuctcw&hl=en&fs=1

azasjeep
07-07-08, 11:32 PM
im still keen, havent spoken to pezzley about joining yet will try and speak to him this weekend and check

VIN18U
08-07-08, 02:03 PM
hi guys

quick questions, do you need a winch to compete. im thinking about it!!!! ;D i showed my dad the australian images preview video, Stupidest thing i could have done i was two steps forward trying to convience him now im three steps back. i might have a settle with another navigator ;D

azasjeep
08-07-08, 03:14 PM
i dont think you need a winch as its a team based event, as long as one truck makes it to the top they can help the others get through

casey
08-07-08, 04:04 PM
I think you should get a winch Vinnie.
It will help keep those front wheels on the ground ;)

AJ
08-07-08, 04:14 PM
don't worry you don't need a winch for willowglen vince. They used to have one winch stage in which only one member from a team would participate but they they removed that stage so there is no winching allowed even if you wanted too.

The competition points add up both individually and as a team total but you don't compete together. They split everybody up randomly then you play follow the leader for the whole day. So for example if you are following car 276 for the first stage you will be following them on each stage for the whole day.

There are a few rules that govern how you must drive but the main few are:

*You cannot cease forward momentum for any longer than 3 seconds.

*Reverses are not allowed unless specified by the stage managers and even then they are normally only allowed in certain places.

*Stay within the bunting.

These few rules alone stop the tracks from being to hair raising as they have to be able to be driven without stopping and without having multiple attempts. This also means there is less chance of the tracks being torn up by the leadfoots as once they stop moving forward the marshalls start counting the 3 seconds.

I hope this gives you guys some more encouragement to have ago. Just remember that it's all about having fun and having ago. There isn't any pressure to tear your truck to shreds like in tuff truck as everybody is driving there everyday truck and for most it is their way of getting home so they understand.

So to make a team we need
* 4 Drivers each with a vehicle and navigator
* 1 reserve vehicle (not compulsory)
* Team Manager who will be available the whole weekend ;D

Interested parties are:

AJ, azasjeep, VIN18U, Pezz (if he joins) Anybody else want to drive? Remember there is also a touring class for the smaller jeeps.

Anybody interested in being team manager? It doesn't involve that much unless we want to put in a protest or something?

Steve F
08-07-08, 05:03 PM
To add to that, if you plan on going anyway and are interested in competing at some point team manager is a good job, you need the $44 CCDA licence but you get two free Willowglen tickets anyway and if you plan to compete in any event odds are you'll need the CCDA licence.

Cheers
Steve

casey
08-07-08, 06:46 PM
Not being able to compete myself, I would like to help the team out in some way.
So I would like to volunteer for the position of team manager.

casey
09-07-08, 04:55 PM
So far we have got 4 people who are keen to compete, but if one of those Jeeps goes bung on the day, it would be good for us to have a reserve Jeep ready to compete in it's place.

As a part of the team, you would have to:

pay an entry fee of $200, which covers entry and camping fees for the driver, navigator and their partners (4 people in total)
have a CCDA licence (available from http://www.ccda4wd.com.au/)
have Mud Tyres and some lift
be keen to compete on the day if needed

Any takers?

Chook
09-07-08, 07:48 PM
Hi Casey,

I would be keen but the turning circle on the beast is not the best...I'd be reversing most of the time ;D ;D ;D.
If there are no takers count me in, the lockers will be in by then and hopefully the ratios as well.

ChOoK

Steve F
09-07-08, 09:19 PM
The only problem with putting in a reserve is I think they have to pay as well, Casey, send me your address details etc and I'll forward them on to the Willowglen guys so they can use you as a contact for forms and registration etc. If you need any help let me know as I was originally manager last year but had to navigate on the day instead but had sorted all the forms out etc.

On and Chook, your turning circle has to be better than the long wheelbase Patrols etc that compete ;)

So it sounds like we have a team then?

Cheers
Steve

casey
10-07-08, 03:55 AM
It's all good Steve. I contacted TLCC yesterday and they've put me on their contact list.

It looks like we DO have a team! :D

JPLyn
10-07-08, 02:04 PM
The $200 entry fee will need to be paid upfront by each participant BEFORE the club will write the whole cheque for participation. Casey will chase everyone up to ensure we have the funds UPFRONT before we sign ourselves in :) Thanks

slinky
18-07-08, 12:14 PM
hi there iam not a member yet but would like to join you all and also would like to be a back up , i live around newcastle and drive some tracks with aza and pezz
i have a tj 97 with 4" lift 35" tyers. lockers front and back,hi belly pan , flatty's on the front and conner and side guards, and loads more just ask

was gonna be the 4th but took my time in looking it up so i gess the back up would be good
plz let me know if i am in

can some one pm the next meeting time thanks zack

AJ
19-07-08, 06:46 PM
Howdy Slinky,

A backup sounds cool and another built TJ is always a good addiition to our club. Just checking that your front flat fenders cover the tires completely as this is something they check at scrutineering. Casey is our team manager for Willowglen so you might want to shoot him a message too.

Cheers AJ

casey
20-07-08, 11:15 AM
I've been looking at the Willowglen team application kit, and it says that teams are 4 vehicles + 1 reserve. I will inquire with the TLCC to see if more than one reserve is allowed.

If we get 2 more people interested, it would be better to put in two teams rather than have 2 vehicles that might not see any action at all over the weekend. (Thats if we can enter more than one team, again, I'll check with TLCC)

AJ
21-07-08, 06:27 PM
They have posted up the competitor information packs on the TLCC website. So remember to get over there and get your forms sorted. The earlier we get our forms in guarantees us a spot in the comp. Also have a read through the rules etc as it gives a bit more detail on what to expect.

http://www.tlcc.com.au/html/calling_for_competitors_to_com.HTM

casey
21-07-08, 08:28 PM
Can these people please PM me their email address, or alternatively send me an email to casey.glass@gmail.com so I can easily contact everyone on the team all at once.

Vinnie
Aaron
Pezz

Cheers.

casey
24-07-08, 01:05 PM
AJ, Vinnie, Aaron, Pezz, George

If you didn't get my email about Willowglen I sent out today, please PM me.

pezz
24-07-08, 03:02 PM
hi guys,
sorry to report that my situation has now changed and i wont be able to compete at willow glen

sorry for the suff around

AJ
24-07-08, 07:17 PM
casey, got your email no worries.

Pezz, What happened dude? Gone soft? :P

pezz
25-07-08, 01:14 AM
my tow rig is now forsale and i can't justify the cost of transporting my rig
money is tight

sorry

casey
31-07-08, 03:15 PM
We are still looking for a 5th team member.
If anyone would like to join the team, or know someone who would, please email me casey.glass@gmail.com

cheers,
casey

Wooders
02-08-08, 01:09 AM
my tow rig is now forsale and i can't justify the cost of transporting my rig
money is tight
sorry

We could probably arrange a car trailer if that helps mate?

I'd be interested but from memory the tyre size limit is 36" and no portals...is that still the case??

AJ
04-08-08, 05:44 PM
I can get you some 36's Wooders and they won't even notice the portals!! :D

AJ
06-08-08, 05:53 PM
Just a reminder for those that are competing to remember that we are required to run a roof of some kind during the event. Last year I just made one up from some steel so I could leave the hardtop at home in good nick and also save some weight.

Rule 4.7.
Soft top or open top vehicles must have a roof covering the driver and navigator. Roofs can be manufactured of:
a) Fiberglass or CFRP; or
b) 3mm alloy; or
c) 2mm mild steel or stainless.

casey
07-08-08, 11:50 AM
Aza - you didn't just sell your hardtop did you?

PureCaboose
08-08-08, 11:26 AM
Now I understand why Jeep enabled me to remove the back half of the JK top and only put on the front 2 sections......competition top from the factory.....yah for me..

azasjeep
11-08-08, 02:50 PM
Hey Guys,

Sorry to do this but due to huge changes in my circumstances i wont be able to make it, and even jambo attendance may be a bit of a stretch.

New Circumstances is moving 100ks away, Got myself a huge arse mortgage.

Hence why i have a lot of jeep parts up for sale.

The good news is that i can go wheelig from my back door :)

casey
11-08-08, 03:30 PM
Hi everybody.

I am now looking for a 4th team member who is wants to compete at Willowglen.
I need to know ASAP if you, or someone you know is interested.

Rules and entry information is available here: http://www.tlcc.com.au/html/calling_for_competitors_to_com.HTM

These are the vehicle classes for Willowlgen:

Touring Class

• Maximum tyre diameter 33” or metric equivalent
• Wheel/Tyre options must fit within the mudguard or flares.
• Beadlocks not permitted.
• Track increase limited to 50mm or metric equivalent.
• The original braking system shall be retained.
• Diff locks are permitted, and diff ratios are a free option.
• Gearbox retained unmodified.
• Single transfer case only.
• Gear reduction in transfer case is not permitted.
• Original steering boxes and linkages to be retained unmodified but may have protection
fitted to them.
• Spring over conversions not permitted.
• The number of axle location links can not be changed.
• Chassis to remain unmodified, except for strengthening and protection.
• Engine to remain unmodified except for diesel engines, a turbo, supercharger and
intercooler or any combination of may be fitted.
• The original body shall be retained.
• 2” (50mm) body lift permitted.
• Maximum 4” spring lift permitted.

Challenge Class

• Maximum tyre diameter 37.5” or metric equivalent.
• Wheel/tyre options must fit within the mudguard or flares.
• Beadlocks are permitted.
• Drop axles and reduction hubs shall not be fitted.
• Any engine and gearbox combination will be accepted.
• All transfer case options and diff ratios will be accepted.
• Powered and manually operated active suspension that adjusts each wheel individually
shall not be permitted.
• 4 wheel steer not permitted.
• Leaf spring over is permitted.
• 3” (75mm) body lift permitted.
• Body must be readily recognised (no buggy or rock crawlers).

AJ
12-08-08, 04:30 PM
There must be somebody out there interested in competing?

Last year there was a suzuki vitara on 31's competing and they made it through nearly every track so don't think that it will be like those other comps where the courses are ridiculous and damage is iminent. This is definately the best competition suited to people that have never competed before. And if you have competed before why not do it again coz you know how fun it is!!!!

casey
18-08-08, 12:14 PM
I really need anyone who is interested in competing to let me know today or tomorrow (Tuesday, 19th August)

sigh. (why is this strictly a team event? why cant people just compete alone and represent a club?)

Steve F
18-08-08, 12:21 PM
I really need anyone who is interested in competing to let me know today or tomorrow (Tuesday, 19th August)

sigh. (why is this strictly a team event? why cant people just compete alone and represent a club?)

If you get desperate speak to the Willowglen guys as there is usually a vehicle looking for a team to compete with and we can offer "temporary" membership if we need to to get a team up and running.

Cheers
Steve

KJ_Ash
18-08-08, 01:47 PM
I'm going to be dopwn there with Chook anyway Casey, do you think the little KJ could get through the tracks?

All mods fit well within the touring class specs.

casey
18-08-08, 02:18 PM
Aren't you George's navigator?

If you each have your own navigator, then yes :)
(But you cant be each others navigator)

Steve F
18-08-08, 03:13 PM
I'm going to be dopwn there with Chook anyway Casey, do you think the little KJ could get through the tracks?

All mods fit well within the touring class specs.

It'll be tough on some of the tracks but as long as you have sill protection and plenty of travel in the rear it might be OK. In reality just drive it within it's limits and you wont break anything but you might not get that far either. What size tyres are you running?

Cheers
Steve

VIN18U
19-08-08, 01:09 PM
Hey everyone i just deposited my money for willowglen!!! ;D CANT WAIT!!!!! hopefully we can put a team together. its going to be a great one.

AJ
19-08-08, 05:34 PM
we still up for a practice wheel on saturday? At the moment the heep doesn't have a front driveshaft but it should be back in by tomorrow though.

Do we know if they'll let us compete with 3 vehicles yet?

casey
19-08-08, 06:22 PM
I sent all the Willowglen guys an email about this weekend.

I've enquired to TLCC about sourcing a 4th team member, will let you know when I get an answer.

Casey

AJ
19-08-08, 07:11 PM
hi there iam not a member yet but would like to join you all and also would like to be a back up , i live around newcastle and drive some tracks with aza and pezz
i have a tj 97 with 4" lift 35" tyers. lockers front and back,hi belly pan , flatty's on the front and conner and side guards, and loads more just ask

was gonna be the 4th but took my time in looking it up so i gess the back up would be good
plz let me know if i am in

can some one pm the next meeting time thanks zack

Did we try ringing this guy to see if he's still interested?

casey
19-08-08, 11:38 PM
Yes, Zack was in, then he pulled out due to his Jeep not being able to stay in 4Lo.

I just got a message from George, Ash is going to take the 4th position - so it looks like were back in action :D

Now we just need a navigator for George.

Anyone really good at guiding people through tracks want to join the SJC team?

KJ_Ash
20-08-08, 12:21 PM
I have my own navigator, need one for George.

Steve the KJ is running 31's at the moment (Super Chunky Kumhos) with a 3" lift (that seems to have settled to a 2" lift). I have front sway bar disco's so all up articulation is pretty good. Minimal sill protection though.

Never done any comps before but I'm keen to have a go.

So....

We doing a practice run somewhere this weekend? ::)

Steve F
20-08-08, 12:52 PM
I have my own navigator, need one for George.

Steve the KJ is running 31's at the moment (Super Chunky Kumhos) with a 3" lift (that seems to have settled to a 2" lift). I have front sway bar disco's so all up articulation is pretty good. Minimal sill protection though.

Never done any comps before but I'm keen to have a go.

So....

We doing a practice run somewhere this weekend? ::)

I don't want to put you off but don't want to see you do unnecessary damage, anyway, try and get hold of some sill protection made up, just some steel box section, even cheap thinish stuff will do. There is one track in particular where you run along a rocky creek bed just to get to the start line and last year why we waited in the queue to run we saw plenty of guys dragging the rock sliders. The rest will be tough with 31's and no lockers? but good fun regardless :)

Cheers
Steve

casey
20-08-08, 03:47 PM
I haven't seen a better window of opportunity to go and get those JKS SuperNerfs that you've always wanted... ;)

KJ_Ash
20-08-08, 04:34 PM
aww crap, you guys are starting to worry me!

Might have to look into that underbody protection I have been thinking about.

AJ
20-08-08, 04:42 PM
Great News ;D
I'm really looking forward to it!!!

As for the sill protection it is definately something that you will never regret getting. Especially if the truck in front of you throws a large rock into the middle of the track. ::)

Chook
21-08-08, 08:30 PM
Hi all,

I still haven't had luck with a navigator :( :( :( :
Casey I will hitch a ride with Ash out to Appin
and then jump in The Colonel with you if that's cool?

Cheers,

G

casey
22-08-08, 09:31 AM
No worries - I'll see you there :)

AJ
22-08-08, 11:54 AM
Maybe try a post in the general section to see if anybody in the club would be interested in being navi for you? I'm sure there are a few people with CCDA licences.

If not, do you think it would be easier to find another team manager and use casey as your navi? Once we get down there, there isn't too much to do unless we want a protest or something? So if you are bringing your partners along maybe we could nominate one of them as they're going to be down there anyway?

Just a thought anyway.

casey
22-08-08, 05:25 PM
Rebecca told me that she can take on the job of team manager, so I can be your navigator George :)

Chook
22-08-08, 06:13 PM
Thanks Casey, much appreciated. :D :D ;) :) ;D ;D

All is a ok then Team Jeep...
We will no doubt have fun the tomorrow...I'll be walking the tracks and u Casey can navigate me through them..we do have all day tomorrow don't we?
I will bring some copies of the forms so we can redo them. ;D ;D

Cheers and see you in the morning.

George