PDA

View Full Version : TYRE SHELF LIFE?

jeepney
07-07-08, 11:40 PM
Medicines and food products have shelf life as required by law. I don't know if there is a law in Australia that prohibits tyre dealers from selling "old" stock tyres. In England, BRMA (British Rubber Manufacturers Assoc.) recommends that new tyres more than 6 yrs old should not be sold to the motorists.

There had been numerous vehicular accidents due to tyre failure ... mostly blowouts and when the tread peels out from the carcass. Some experts attribute this to tyre aging. They say rubber deteriorates and dries out.

But how do we know WHEN a tyre was manufactured? Actually, there is a cryptic code used by manufacturers which is hidden from consumers. If you look at the sides of your tyre ... there is a 3-digit or 4-digit number embossed. For example: my Goodyear tyre which I had installed LAST week had 3606. This means it was manufactured on the 36th week of 2006. I checked my son's tyres. It had 5203. This means it was manufactured on the 52nd week of 2003. If its 169... it was manufactured on the 16th week of 1999 etc.... Also, this cryptic code is on one side of the tyre only.

So, check your existing tyres. If you buy a new one, check these 4-digit numbers. You might be buying a brand new tyre (on Special) but manufactured 5 years ago.