PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a soon to be Jeep owner

Hoggy
11-08-08, 01:22 PM
Hi all, I have recently moved from the UK (please don't hold that against me) to Sydney and fancy giving off roading a go.

With the move and everything plus the need for a daily ride I had very little money for a 4x4. I have found (and will hopefully pick up) a 1996 XJ Cherokee with 10 months rego for $4.5k which seems to be a good price?? Is there anything I should check on the vehicle before commiting to it?

It seemed to drive OK but did produce the occasional, loud knock from the steering column when turning left - any idea's what this is likely to be? Is it safe, and what could it cost to replace?

Looking forward to getting to know some of you, making friends and putting the old girl through her paces (although will go gentile on her for a while)

Cheers
Hoggy (Sam)

azasjeep
11-08-08, 01:53 PM
Gday Hoggy,

Welcome to the best country on the planet :)

And welcome to sydney and jeep ownership as well.

A few of our resident xj experts will be along shortly to answer the clunking query.

Az

Hoggy
11-08-08, 01:59 PM
Gday Hoggy,

Welcome to the best country on the planet :)

And welcome to sydney and jeep ownership as well.

A few of our resident xj experts will be along shortly to answer the clunking query.

Az

Cheers for the welcome. Been in Australia for 4 weeks now and the wife and I thought we could survive with just one car - we can't hence the Jeep. Been a strange 6 weeks as never even visited the country before and now we live here. Bec (wife) and Son have started meeting people through play groups and pre school and I have met a few people through work - although none that are very local. Hoping to learn how to off road and meet some like minded people

PureCaboose
12-08-08, 12:57 PM
Where in Sydney are you located?

Hoggy
12-08-08, 01:23 PM
Where in Sydney are you located?

Manly

Pete
12-08-08, 08:27 PM
Gday,

and from Manly, thats lucky so you get the best country in the world then go to the best part of it Sydney's northern beaches.

we used to have a red 96 Cherokee it had a recaro drives seat in it

Hoggy
13-08-08, 10:30 AM
Gday,

and from Manly, thats lucky so you get the best country in the world then go to the best part of it Sydney's northern beaches.

we used to have a red 96 Cherokee it had a recaro drives seat in it

Yeah, must admit we do feel like we have fallen on our feet.

Picked the Jeep up last night, not had chance to drive it yet but the Mrs seems chuffed with it. Any suggestions of a good beginners track to try off roading on?

azasjeep
13-08-08, 01:01 PM
Im just down the road, what sort of a wheel do you want to go for?

There are a few sneaky spots around but they are pretty tuff tracks.

casey
13-08-08, 01:56 PM
We're not far from Manly too :)

Hoggy
14-08-08, 09:02 PM
Az, Casey,

I would love to meet up at some point - you can teach a complete begginer where to start with off roading.

Az, sounds like the tracks you have in mind will be too tricky for me at this stage

stevet
15-08-08, 06:13 PM
Hi Hoggy,
Again welcome to OZ & to Sydney (Manly). There is a clean-up on Sunday 31/08/08 (weather permitting) at Menai. This would be a good area to come along to as a guest of the club and get your wheels a little "dirty" and see what your Jeep can do. A Menai clean-up involves some clearing/collecting rubbish etc from the tracks in the a.m., then you can drive the tracks there for the rest of the day. Nothing to strenuous on your body or Jeep.
Stephen T.

Hoggy
18-08-08, 09:23 AM
Hi Hoggy,
Again welcome to OZ & to Sydney (Manly). There is a clean-up on Sunday 31/08/08 (weather permitting) at Menai. This would be a good area to come along to as a guest of the club and get your wheels a little "dirty" and see what your Jeep can do. A Menai clean-up involves some clearing/collecting rubbish etc from the tracks in the a.m., then you can drive the tracks there for the rest of the day. Nothing to strenuous on your body or Jeep.
Stephen T.

Sounds good, will check my wife and son are free and will get in touch if we can make it.

Cheers
Sam