PDA

View Full Version : July 09 Desert Trip - Unfortunately CANCELLED - See Last Post

Dave
16-09-08, 05:05 PM
At the AGM, a few of us started talking about a POSSIBLE Desert trip, mid next year. I wanted to get a post up early, as such a trip would take a bit of planning.

I'm interested, I loved my trip across the Simpson last year. Eddie was interested (an invaluable member for a trip like this with expert Jeep mechanical knowledge), also a new member in a Grand (who's name I can't remember - sorry)

Because I'm a school teacher, I would choose the July school holiday (11 to 26 July 09). Depending on how much time others have, and how far (distance and remote) people would want to go, destinations need discussing.

IF we go ahead, I would be happy to lead or at least participate. I would hope that we could get at least 4 Jeeps (or other vehicles???). Any actual 4WD Jeep could cross the Simpson (unless it RAINS) with adequate preparation, and it is a GREAT trip!

Would it be too early to start a serious discussion in November (sorry I will be at Cape York in October)?

Think about it, no one would regret a trip like this!

Dave

JPLyn
16-09-08, 06:42 PM
What a great proposition!! Just as FYI, Eddie doesnt do the internet, so you'll need to talk to him in person. Also why not take the lead? If you dont, noone will, so just put together some ideas and talk to folks in Nov and maybe publish in the magazine as well ? I hope the trip becomes a reality!

Dave
17-09-08, 05:13 PM
Yep, I'm happy to lead, and do organising, as long as we have some interest. Eddie actually spoke to me about it at the AGM, so I know he is interested. If we bring up the idea in November, then I will talk to the magazine folks as well.

Do you think the club would be able to help with any organising - specifically things like organising a satphone for emergencies? Anyway, that is all for future planning.

Thanks for the encouragement,
Dave!

JPLyn
17-09-08, 06:36 PM
The club is its members - ie: you, me, etc.. so you'd/the members going on the trip would be organising the satphone if required for the trip :) The item that we do have are some handheld UHF radios for club use.

Bear
20-09-08, 10:27 AM
Hi Dave
In which direction do you propose to cross the desert? I vaguely remember reading it is advisable to cross west----east because of the shape of the dunes. A gradual slope on the western face and a steep drop off on the east.

Bear

Dave
24-09-08, 04:48 PM
Hi Bear,

West to East is the way I went last year, although Mick Collins went East to West towing a trailer about a week after I went through.

All trip plans will have to depend on interest, and how much time people have to spend. And at the end of the day destination. We may not have enough people interested in an actual desert crossing, we could just go up the Birdsville Track and back down the Old Strezlecki or something like that.

Obviously more discussion needed from November meeting on - I'm off to Cairns on Friday so this will be my last post 'till I get back.

Thanks,
Dave.

jeepney
24-09-08, 07:30 PM
Have a safe and enjoyable trip, Dave.

Hope the desert trip next year will push through. I'll join and prepare for it if I'm assured we have no problem with fuel supply considering mine has the 4 litre petrol engine.

MRGC
25-09-08, 02:06 AM
Im more interested in doing a trip to cape york let us Know how you go when you came back.

homedg
25-09-08, 11:33 AM
Have a safe and enjoyable trip, Dave.

Hope the desert trip next year will push through. I'll join and prepare for it if I'm assured we have no problem with fuel supply considering mine has the 4 litre petrol engine.

I'm with James. Bring it on! ;D
We'll be towing our camper trailer so the Birdsville/Strezlecki option with some side excursions sounds good to us.
Looks like this is generating some interest.

Dave
25-09-08, 02:47 PM
Well I'll be...
Thought I'd take another look before I head North and people sound interested.

Trailers are certainly fine on Birdsville / Strezlecki tracks, but I believe from next year they will be BANNED in the Simpson Desert proper (ie between Dalhousie Springs and Big Red).

For Jeepney, the Tag Along Tour guides (and I know a few) all recommend 140 litres of diesel, 160 litres petrol (4 cyl), 180 litres of petrol (6 cyl), and 200 litres (V8) including on board fuel and jerrys for a Oodnadatta to Birdsville crossing

These things may discourage a majority from an actual desert crossing. But if a trip up Birdsville / Strezlecki tracks is what is wanted, that will be easier trip prep, and probably just one spare jerry for safety. Birdsville in to the Eastern entrance of the Simpson and a 'play' on Big Red or other dunes (just to say you have been there) is an easy day trip.

Anyway, obviously a few things to discuss!

See you in November!

Dave.

Steve F
02-10-08, 12:59 PM
Dont know how they plan to ban trailers on a public road, if they recommend 180 litres of petrol I'll need a trailer to carry it!!!! That's one tank full and 5-6 jerry cans.

Cheers
Steve

Dave
20-10-08, 11:57 AM
Hi All,

Back from Cape York and it was GREAT. I may not make the Nov meeting either - HSC Marking, but will be there for the December get togethers!

They will stop trailers (and all drivers from December to March Summer trips) by stationing rangers at Dalhousie and Birdsville and confiscating trailers / vehicles, together with substantial fines - or so I hear. I guess we will find out when it happens.

I had a call from Jenko on Saturday. He is also interested in a trip up to Birdsville and back, not a desert crossing (time constraints) so it sounds like an easier trip up the Birdsville Track and back down perhaps Strezlecki (or other) will be the trip of choice (with less fuel etc required on board). A side trip from Birdsville to Big Red, or an overnighter to Poepple Corner could be added for those interested.

Anyway, all is up for discussion soon!

Dave

ValiumMm
29-10-08, 12:32 AM
Hey Guys, really interested, But have to find out if ill be on holidays, as i am starting tafe next year, But otherwise i will definately like to come along, sounds good and get my car all red :D

Dave
05-11-08, 09:34 AM
I am REALLY thrilled by all the interest! I will bring maps, photos (from last year) etc to the Christmas Party, so if anyone wants to start thinking, we can do it then!

See you next month,
Dave.

wlublink
06-12-08, 11:12 PM
Hi Davev,

I really like the pictures you showed during the bbq Dave and I am very interested in the trip. Are you still thinking of July 11 -26 ?

I hope others would be interested in a site trip to "the big red" and also "lake Eyre" during the trip. When would you want to discuss the possibilities/dates/track etc?

Wyanda

glend
07-12-08, 10:02 AM
I'd be interested as well, as I'll likely be semi-retired by then. My KJ CRD been lifted 3" now and I'd love to take my camper on some serious back country touring. Alternatively, my son (JK Unlimited CRD) and I are talking about the Cape in June/July.

Dave
08-12-08, 10:05 AM
Hi All,

I think we were up to 5 vehicles interested in the trip as of the Christmas Party!

I started working on a proposed Itinery yesterday, making sure we looked at Lake Eyre and did a desert camp at Poepple Corner.

I have roughed out this Itinerary, although it will need more work. I will bring it to the February meeting, but if you want it sooner, please email me - email address available through member details - and I will send you a copy. I would post it on the site but I don't know how, and it isn't really ready anyway.

Thanks,
Dave

jenko
17-12-08, 07:16 PM
Hi dave what is the latest i can put my name down for this trip

Dave
18-12-08, 07:12 PM
Hey Jenko, long time no see! Trip ideas are coming together. I emailed a 'bare bones' itinerary to six people after the Christmas Party - the whole thing plus map and pictures etc is too big to email.

I'll email you a basic one. If you want a full one, I will get some printed up for the Feb meeting. Is still in draft form until we can decide on side trips etc. Really depends on whether anyone is towing, how 'remote' we want to make it and TJ / JK fuel range!

Merry Christmas!
Dave.

glend
19-12-08, 12:15 PM
Dave, I have emailed you some questions re taking my camper along, and would appreciate your views on what sort of trailer chassis construction is suitable for these tracks (as I may need to upgrade).

Dave
20-12-08, 03:40 PM
Glen,

I emailed a reply - don't know if it helped. I actually have no experience with camper trailers, and I don't know what yours is like.

If anyone is bringing one, I would hope it would be of off road construction, and there will be some places that it may not be able to go.

For discussion in February at the next club meeting - I will bring more complete proposed itineraries with possible options.

Merry Christmas,
Dave.

casey
03-01-09, 11:05 AM
Just read this Simpson Desert crossing story on 4WD Action
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/simp_desert1.php
Thought some of you might be interested :)

Dave
05-02-09, 04:39 PM
Lots of interest and enthusiasm for the Trip at the Feb Club Meeting.

I will email a copy of the itinerary to an expert who will post it on the site more effectively than I can. I will make a couple of minor adjustments first - I had put up a possible route from Mungerannie to Birdsville via the Warburton Creek crossing and Poeppel Corner (weather permitting) that received a lot of interest, so I will make it the preferred route.

If anyone else wants details, please message or email me. We will try to finalise numbers by the April meeting so I can make bookings (caravan parks) and we can order Desert Parks passes for all.

Dave.

Dave
20-02-09, 05:12 PM
Rain Rain Go Away!!!

All the wet in Northern Qld means that a lot of the Centre is cut off. I have been looking at two web sites;

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/quicklinks/northern_roads/northern.asp

and

http://www.exploroz.com/Roads/Default.aspx?s=SA

and both currently list the Birdsville Track CLOSED North of Mungerannie.

My friend who runs Tag Alongs is worried about his trips in May and June as apparently the water hangs around for a long time.

This MAY affect where we can go in July. Hopefully it will have all dried out by then. Check the websites, they are interesting and I will keep you posted.

Dave

Dave
31-03-09, 10:06 AM
Hi All,

Update as promised.

The desert re opened on 15 March, and all the main tracks are open and accessible to Birdsville etc - so the flooding must have subsided.

However, Warburton Crossing and Eyre Creek are still closed - for an estimated 6 to 8 weeks. Hopefully by the time we head up there they will be accessible. If not, we do the full Birdsville Track, drive into the desert from Birdsville over Big Red and do a camp on Eyre Creek - not quite the same experience as the Warburton to Poepple Corner to Birdsville - but we will play it by ear.

Remember, really need to know DEFINITE numbers at May meeting so can make BOOKINGS. I will create a Rego Sheet - and if I am organising Desert Passes, then $105 per vehicle!

Thanks,
Dave

casey
31-03-09, 10:28 AM
My parentals are interested in coming along on this trip - in their 100 series landcruiser.

Dave
31-03-09, 11:57 AM
Hi Casey,

I personally have no problem with this, I do not know about club rules re insurance. I am sure that they (not being in a member vehicle) would not be covered by the club's policy. We will have to check with the brains trust, but if they are fine with this (using own insurance) then as I said, the more the merrier!

See you tomorrow at ARB?

Dave

Steve F
31-03-09, 01:22 PM
The Club insurance protects the trip leader from liability issues if a member or visitor (as long as they sign the trip attendance form) decides to take action over an incident. So basically visitors are fine just get them to sign the trip attendance form :) The club insurance doesn't cover any other type of stuff like damage to a vehicle etc and normal insurance should be checked to make sure it'll cover where you plan to go.

Cheers
Steve

wrangler_88
01-04-09, 02:21 PM
At the AGM, a few of us started talking about a POSSIBLE Desert trip, mid next year. I wanted to get a post up early, as such a trip would take a bit of planning.

I'm interested, I loved my trip across the Simpson last year. Eddie was interested (an invaluable member for a trip like this with expert Jeep mechanical knowledge), also a new member in a Grand (who's name I can't remember - sorry)

Because I'm a school teacher, I would choose the July school holiday (11 to 26 July 09). Depending on how much time others have, and how far (distance and remote) people would want to go, destinations need discussing.

IF we go ahead, I would be happy to lead or at least participate. I would hope that we could get at least 4 Jeeps (or other vehicles???). Any actual 4WD Jeep could cross the Simpson (unless it RAINS) with adequate preparation, and it is a GREAT trip!

Would it be too early to start a serious discussion in November (sorry I will be at Cape York in October)?

Think about it, no one would regret a trip like this!

Dave

How bad is it when it rains haha ..??

Dave
07-04-09, 05:04 PM
Fingers crossed it won't rain. The main issue has been that it did rain in Nth Qld over Christmas, and access to the Simpson Desert from the East is still cut for a few more weeks - Eyre Creek and Warburton Creek (expected).

With luck it won't rain at all in July - it is the 'dry' season. A light sprinkle won't affect us at all. A downpour could stop us! There are rules about not driving on tracks if you are likely to cut them up - ie digging muddy tracks. If you do damage the tracks like this there are big fines! Basically if you get stopped, you have to stay put for a few days - so you hope you are at a town or roadhouse.

In the proposed trip there are only two planned overnight 'bush' camps, so we won't be that remote, away from town / roadhouse for long.

Hope that answers the question.

Dave

Dave
29-04-09, 01:07 PM
I'm bringing registration forms to the May meeting - need to finalise numbers SOON so bookings can be made (Wilpena, Copley, Birdsville etc). Also new details on getting Desert Parks Passes (for Lake Eyre, Simpson desert and Innaminka access). They have gone up this month from $105 to $107 (for a year).

Went to Caravan and Camping Show last week and spoke to several Tag Along operators. Some have already cancelled this years desert crossing trips as they expect Eyre Creek and Warburton Crossing to be impassable for a few more months yet.

We will play it by ear when we get there, but we may not be able to cross the Warburton or get to Poepple Corner.
If this is the case, we will do the full Birdsville Track and then go in to Big Red and beyond - perhaps camp on the eastern bank of Eyre Creek - from Birdsville. Yes, I know, less full on desert, but it should still be great, and we WILL still do Big Red and other desert dunes!

If anyone CAN'T come to the May Meeting, but DOES want to register for the trip, June shouldn't be too late, or message me and I will email you!

Dave

casey
29-04-09, 01:42 PM
I really want to go, but a few things this year (damn you GFC! :shakesfist:) have just put this off the list completely. Next year hopefully it will be possible :)

Dave
29-04-09, 03:56 PM
How about the parentals that you were talking about last meeting? I really, REALLY hope that we will still have enough interest. Need at least 3 or 4 vehicles to make it worthwhile / possible / safe!

Dave

casey
29-04-09, 05:37 PM
Negative, school hols in VIC and NSW are out of sync (they work in education), so they cant take time off when we were planning on going :(

They could possibly be moving to NSW next year, so it wouldn't be a problem then :P

turboman
05-05-09, 12:52 PM
HI Dave

I'm new here. I have a 4door Jeep Wrangler CDR. I'm a hunter and adventurer. Could you send me please more details about this trip.

Thank u

glend
05-05-09, 03:16 PM
Turboman, suggest you attend tomorrow nights club meeting where you will be able to pick up the trip synopsis document. Dave will also be collecting for the Desert Park pass. If you can't make that Dave will probably need an email address to send it to you, suggest PM it to him.

Dave
06-05-09, 04:24 PM
Thanks Glen! All things I would have said. Will turboman be joining the club (hope so - sounds like an interesting potential member with more trip / activity ideas!)

Dave

Steve F
06-05-09, 04:30 PM
Thanks Glen! All things I would have said. Will turboman be joining the club (hope so - sounds like an interesting potential member with more trip / activity ideas!)

Dave

Turboman is a member :) Joined yesterday.

Cheers
Steve

Dave
06-05-09, 06:17 PM
Excellent! We may need more trip takers - I have had a few apologies in the last few weeks.

Dave

Dave
06-05-09, 10:56 PM
LAST POST

Unfortunately at tonights Meeting there were no remaining takers for this trip this year. Some have already expressed interest in next year - if the Financial Crisis ends, and hopefully the weather might not be so wet! I even had one person say they wanted to try a full desert crossing - can do if enough interest!

Thanks for the interest, I will try again.

Dave

wlublink
07-05-09, 02:13 PM
I am sorry to hear the trip is cancelled :'(

I know you already put a lot of effort in Dave, thank you very much for that!!

Dutchie

jeepney
14-05-09, 08:21 PM
Its sad that this trip was cancelled, Dave. I,for one, was keen but I don't think I'm ready for it this year esp with financial situation and work commitments.

Thanks for all the effort in compiling those maps and information, Dave. Hope we could make it next year.

Your proposal for a shorter and less expensive trip is a great idea.

Dave
15-05-09, 09:55 AM
Thanks! It is a shame we can't go this year. I HOPE that there will be more firm interest next year. Also, hopefully it won't be as wet next year, and we will be able to get into the desert proper - so perhaps this year just wasn't meant to be...

Dave.