PDA

View Full Version : Sydney to Alice 'n' back

chocmonk
02-10-08, 09:28 PM
Hi folks,
We're planning a somewhat hurried trip: Sydney - Birdsville - Alice Springs - Coober Pedy - Sydney starting October 13th 2008 . We'd like to do it as "stock" as possible ie. due attention paid to recovery, safety, water, fuel of course. I figure if the Jeep is as capable as it's supposed to be, careful driving should see us through. If not I'll sell it..
We're travelling solo (so far) so wondering if anyone has done the French Line/WAA Line and has any advice on conditions, experiences notes, alternative Birdsville-Alice Springs routes in case we chicken out.

Thanks heaps in advance
The Chocolate Monk

Maggie
08-10-08, 09:58 PM
Its a shame you didn't post earlier .. you may have had some takers. Hope the Jeep lives up to expectations and you have a great trip. That is one trip I for one would love to do but it needs careful planning and 10 days just isn't enough.
Please keep us informed of your progress ... will be interesting reading

chocmonk
09-10-08, 04:18 PM
Hi Maggie
So we did chicken out, kind of:-) Mostly because of fuel concerns - I can't get the aux fuel tank installed in time and I don't want to be carrying 6 20l jerry cans among all the other stuff.. So we're going Sydney-Cameron Corner-Lyndhurst-Oodnadatta track-maybe dalhousie springs-Alice then back via coober pedy and Broken Hill. Which should still be fun.
So another time maybe May-June next year.
Cheers

homedg
09-10-08, 10:50 PM
That sounds like a great trip. :D
Are you still leaving this weekend?
Dave (homedg)

casey
10-10-08, 08:20 AM
chockmonk - Im assuming from your avatar that you've got a JK?

Was that the Longranger tank you were looking to get? diesel or petrol?
I asked them about a petrol one a while ago, but they said they weren't going to do one. I wonder if they've changed their minds.

chocmonk
10-10-08, 08:40 AM
homedg:
Yep. Probably leave Sunday and get to Bourke quick as we can for a first stop.
I don't expect a fan belt blow out, but any idea what tools I would need to put my spare in if I needed to?

casey:
JK Unlimited it is. Yeah it was the petrol Longranger, they do make one now : http://www.thelongranger.com.au/ta64p/index.html but apparently they aren't doing another production run for a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Freddy