PDA

View Full Version : Getting my XJ a lift.

ValiumMm
28-10-08, 11:57 PM
Hey guys, This is my first post,

I Currently Have a 1997 XJ, which is a european import. I have a 2.5L 4cyl Engine, Petrol, which is alot better on $$$ compared to my dads 98 XJ which is the standard 4L Straight 6. Anyways,

if i get a 2" lift and then get some bigger tyres, with a bit more width, will my engine/gear box have any troubles or should it be all good, Its not the fastest car haha, but its got enough torque :D. Hopefully in the next few weeks should be getting, Bullbar, Snorkle, New tyres (as big as possible) and a lift kit depending on what you guys reckon, I go to stockton alot and hit up the sand dunes and would like to get it abit more muddier :D.

here are some pics

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/ValiumMm/Car%20pics/P9302917.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/ValiumMm/Car%20pics/P9302916.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/ValiumMm/Car%20pics/P9302918.jpg

Cpage66
29-10-08, 12:14 AM
With that little 4 banger, your going to have to get deeper gears if you get much bigger tyres...or your Dad will be laughing at you and traffic gets backed up while you struggle to maintain a decent speed onroad on the first hill you come to. ;D
What transfer case does that Euro have??

And "WELCOME" btw... ;) ;) ;)

ValiumMm
29-10-08, 12:57 AM
Ummm not sure, how do i check? I'll go ARB and see wot they reckon, but ye thanks for the quick reply :D.

ValiumMm
29-10-08, 01:04 AM
Btw its a manual too if that helps, and i just wikied transfer case, In 4wd i got High and low, if thats wot you mean.

Cpage66
29-10-08, 02:24 AM
Ummm not sure, how do i check? I'll go ARB and see wot they reckon, but ye thanks for the quick reply :D.

Crawl up under the Jeep and look for a little red and silver circular tag on the transfer case itself...

it'll look something like this...

http://www.drivetrain.com/tcase_ID_tag.jpg

Wooders
29-10-08, 09:21 AM
Should be NP231J ;)
Before you go too berko I'd be having a long hard think about:
1. How big the BIGGEST tyres you plan to run in the future.
2. How much $$ you plan to spend - and split it between parts & Labour....remember the more spanner spinning you do yourself the more $$ for the parts & vis versa.
3. Have fun driving the snot out of it ;D

Steve F
29-10-08, 11:00 AM
I think the 4cyl also comes with 4.11 ratios instead of the 3.55 in the petrol or the 3.73 in the diesel. You may get away without regearing because of this if you only go to 31's, which will be the max on 2" of lift anyway.

Cheers
Steve

ValiumMm
29-10-08, 12:27 PM
I Couldnt find anything that looked like that, took a pic of my diff with a number on that if that helps, and also a picture of where i think the sticker/tag might have been cos it looks like there was something there and its come off

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/ValiumMm/Car%20pics/PA293132.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/ValiumMm/Car%20pics/PA293133.jpg

and yes lots of sand,,, not sure if the number on the diff will help but thought id put it up anyways.

Steve F
29-10-08, 12:39 PM
So that's the front diff a Dana 30, the tag your after is on the transfercase :) Like Wooders said a NP231, same as in the TJ.

Cheers
Steve

ValiumMm
29-10-08, 01:00 PM
Ye i had a look and couldnt find anything looking like a sticker at all. Is there anyway else i can check?

sir_camel
29-10-08, 10:10 PM
I drove behind you or in front of you or something somewhere the other day. Thiknk i was in my white 205 GTi (with loud 'zaust bro) instead of my lifted TJ though. Wondered if you were from ausjeep or here...

Cpage66
29-10-08, 10:25 PM
Btw its a manual too if that helps, and i just wikied transfer case, In 4wd i got High and low, if thats wot you mean.

The two XJ owners say it's a NP231 (which it probably is with the manual)transfer case which is a good thing in regards to slip yoke eliminators and the other assorted transfer case goodies.

Would that be the AX-15 manual?? And I'm wondering if they stuck a Dana 35 or the Chrysler 8.25 in it for the rear diff???

ValiumMm
29-10-08, 10:48 PM
Would that be the AX-15 manual??

Haha, once again not too sure on what it is, Basic info is that its a 5 speed manual,

And I'm wondering if they stuck a Dana 35 or the Chrysler 8.25 in it for the rear diff???

Ill check tommor and get a pic of it

ValiumMm
29-10-08, 10:49 PM
I drove behind you or in front of you or something somewhere the other day. Thiknk i was in my white 205 GTi (with loud 'zaust bro) instead of my lifted TJ though. Wondered if you were from ausjeep or here...

HAHA really, nice so im gathering your from around North Shore Sydney, If so might be going to wattagans this saturday if your interested, or anyone else for that matter, but ill put up another post

Steve F
30-10-08, 07:27 AM
Heaps of us on or near the North Shore :) I'm up at Mt Colah.

Cheers
Steve

ValiumMm
30-10-08, 01:07 PM
Was hard to get a pic the light kept bouncing off, but this is what i got, if it helps

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/ValiumMm/Car%20pics/PA303144.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/ValiumMm/Car%20pics/PA303140.jpg

sir_camel
31-10-08, 05:15 PM
I remember it was in St ives shops car park i think on Sunday. I am in Roseville (for 2 more weeks)

ValiumMm
31-10-08, 06:30 PM
I remember it was in St ives shops car park i think on Sunday. I am in Roseville (for 2 more weeks)

Ye prob was, i live just round the corner from st ives, shops, will u still be near north syd after u move?

homedg
06-11-08, 10:52 PM
2 bucks at carlovers, and some wet knee spots could make that a totally different picture ;D

Just make sure you drive away quick before the attendant see's the mud dump you left. ;D ;) ;D He He

OR JUST GO TO THE CARLOVERS AFTER HOURS! :P

sir_camel
07-11-08, 11:23 AM

Ye prob was, i live just round the corner from st ives, shops, will u still be near north syd after u move?

yea...might be without jeep soon though. Want a modified TJ?

ValiumMm
07-11-08, 01:01 PM
sure will be happy to take it of your hands if you dont require it anymore hahaha

Jaffas
17-11-08, 11:05 PM
Hey Valium, check out http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/index.php?topic=522.0 for some other ideas on a nice XJ!! hehe...

My version of planning a 4wd upgrade is very similar to Wooders
Decide what size tyres you want in the long term.
Build the suspension and drive train to suit tyres.
Try to do each thing only once
Consider your budget, cos there is always more to buy and it can get expensive very fast. Take the time to plan the order of your upgrades, including things like any bar work, lights, etc as well as suspension.

But first, learn to drive it stock and have fun it, then modify it and you will appreciate the mods more as well as your own driving skills!

31's will squeeze under a 2" lift, but really a 3" lift is better. Only real issue you get is some angle on the driveshaft pinions, but its not too bad. If you want big 33's, you want 5" lift... anything bigger than 33's you will be changing out diffs to something stronger.

Take your time to look around and get the right info, like the old adage says, cut twice and measure once... err, ummm, other way round!

ValiumMm
17-11-08, 11:41 PM
Yeh Jaffas, I would love to have something like that eventually, But atm the only thing holding me back is that my Little 4 banger might struggle alot with big tyres, or ill have to get some really low gears happening, I think i will be looking at 3" lift with 31's. My car is at the mechanics atm, and said my rear suspension is far stuffed, so i might aswell do my lift now instead of getting new shocks and coils then getting a lift, cos thats just a waste, Do you guys reckon my Car will be fine without changing the gears on 31" tyres ??.

ValiumMm
17-11-08, 11:43 PM
Also Jaffa, how much did your lift kit cost?? if you wouldnt mind, Just for wondering. its A very hot Car 8)

Steve F
18-11-08, 09:32 AM
With the stock lower diff ratios of the 4 it should cope with 31's OK, check on http://www.naxja.org as its a US site and they ran the 4 as well over there so you should get some real world opinions :)

Cheers
Steve

Jaffas
18-11-08, 06:32 PM
Val, I'll send you a PM with costs, but the order I did things was
- slip yoke eliminator with rear shaft and full 2.5" exhaust
- complete diff rebuild with 4.56 and arb lockers after I filled both diffs with mud at the last victorian jambo
- 5.5" suspension and the tyres/wheels
- the wheel guards because the new tyres rubbed heaps

Basically you start with choosing which wheels/ tyres you want at the end, then first mod is to build the the drive train to cope, put the suspension in, and the wheels are last thing.

Agree with Steve, the torque in the XJ's should be enough for the 4cyl to cope, if you use your gears wisely. basically, the bigger the tyres, the lower the engine revs for the same speed.

ValiumMm
27-11-08, 11:15 AM
Hey Guys, Question, When i get quotes for lift kits etc, It goes up in value quite a bit per ". Wouldnt it be cheaper to find out what size i need for a 4" lift for the shocks and coils, Then get it fitt. Because its 1700 for example for a 2" lift then for 4" its about 4k. My question is, do the shocks and coils cost that much, Because a stock F250 probably has bigger shocks than me on a 4" lift and wouldnt cost 4k+ to get standard springs fitt. Dont no if this is a noob question but thought i should ask, As my mechanic has said the back springs are about to go so i might aswell do my lift now. Any thoughts.

Regards, Alex

Thanks again fellows

casey
27-11-08, 11:37 AM
I've never done a lift, but I've researched them quite a bit (doing one next year).

From what I've read, its all the other things like drive shafts, tracks bars (panhard rods), control arms, etc that you need to replace to keep the geometry correct. as you go higher, the more changes you need to make to keep things working correctly.

An F250 might have bigger springs and shocks, but their suspension, drivetrain and steering has been designed to accomodate them.

I would imagine you'd incur the same problems and costs as you pushed a F250 past the limits of its stock suspension design.

ValiumMm
27-11-08, 11:41 AM
Yeh thats true, i just found this link

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

And they do a budgjet lift, and just go me thinking. At the moment i have been quoted 3,500 Fitted for a 4" lift and $3200 for a 3" lift. They said anything over 2 and to 4" is roughly about the same cost. ARB is 1700 for a 2" lift and they wont go any higher.
They also said about $650 for getting it fitted, which is included in that price but wondering if you guys recommend any lift kits that would be reliable and fairly cheap and they just get them to fitt it for me.

Regards, Alex

Steve F
27-11-08, 12:32 PM
XJ lifts are pretty easy to fit. If you have the room put on a BBQ and organise a wrenching day and you'll get help and guidance and have it done in a day and save the $650

Cheers Steve

ValiumMm
27-11-08, 12:44 PM
Im more than happy to spend money on getting you all quality steaks and beers, in return for getting greasy, learning some stuff and putting this on. Another question is. I have my 97 4 Banger, is it going to be any different or is it all like other standard jeeps.

ValiumMm
27-11-08, 12:51 PM
I spoke to Wooders, Recommends this kit

http://www.wooders.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=213_40_168&products_id=86
+ shocks rubicon mono tube, not sure on which one, but ye.

As long as you feel confident in doing it, And i dont have the equipment to lift it or do it, so would need some tools. But let me know

Regards, ALex

Steve F
27-11-08, 01:06 PM
Nice and easy, I can do the front coils on mine in around 1 1/2hr by myself and they are 4.5" coils so a tight fit. With two working on the front and two on tne back it'll take no time. Just need to know a few tricks.

Just depends how soon you want to do it as it might be hard to find enough helpers before xmas.

Cheers
Steve

ValiumMm
27-11-08, 01:22 PM
Ok, Sounds great, Well ill get back to you on a date.

ValiumMm
27-11-08, 01:34 PM
Would Sunday week be alright? the 7th of Dec. Car is currently in mechanics getting clutch fixed/rebuilt as my car is import and doesn't exist in australia = hassle. Anyways should be back by the weekend at latest. But let me know if we have enough ppl, And if anyone has the right tools, to lift it up.

Thanks again, just let me know what beer u want ;)

ValiumMm
27-11-08, 05:34 PM
Just for the heads up, I have a 2 car, car port, so dont no if this is enough room, But let me know.

ValiumMm
28-11-08, 03:56 PM
Guys, I will let you know about the date the 7th might be alright, i mean it all depends on you guys, but my car is at the mechanic and the clutch needs to be rebuilt as they cant get a new one for it, because it doesnt exist in australia, lame..... But hopefully should be back my next weekend otherwise the week after, but dont want to leave it to late as most of you will be busy during xmas with family and holidays etc. Will keep you posted.

ValiumMm
04-12-08, 01:48 AM
Ok guys, Glad to finnally meet most of you,
I am able to do sunday, i no its 4 days away so understand if its to early, so i can organise till weekend after. Even if my car is not ready its about 1km max away, so i can just towe it to my house, rig it up and tow it back, hahaha, im sure i can work something out with the mechanic, I will be going to wooders tommorrow or friday to buy the Kit. So if any of you are available, and have the tools, i will provide steaks and beer. Let me know,

Regards, ALex

jeepthing
04-12-08, 12:49 PM
id be interested in going to another wrenching day. although i dont have the tools or knowledge. out of the this w/e or next, next is preferable.

Steve F
04-12-08, 01:24 PM
I cant really do anything until the new year, baby is only a week old as of today and I'm not allowed out just yet ;)

Cheers
Steve

ValiumMm
04-12-08, 02:14 PM
Just got off the phone from wooders and wont be available till next tuesday, So Firstly, Are there any people available for the following week on Saturday or sunday. If There are any people confident enough and have the right tools, the 13th and 14th should be fine aslong as you guys are. So if anyone can let me know so we have enough people. Is 4 people enough ?
So just let me know which day you prefer if you can.

Regards, Alex,
sorry for continously changing the date, haha, should be definate now.

jeepthing
26-02-09, 09:51 AM
Alex, did you end up getting your lift fitted?

ValiumMm
26-02-09, 09:55 AM
Nah i had to get a new clutch and master and slave cylinder, so currently i have to save up again. I still really want to, but might be bit longer cos i study 4 days a week now aswell. So i might wait for my tax back and the Govt 950 Dollars :D. haha but we will just see i guess, I really want to though.