PDA

View Full Version : Help needed buying a Cherokee

KayJay
14-02-09, 03:25 PM
Greetings everyone.

(apologies if i have posted this in the wrong section)

I am currently knew to the whole Jeep experience, as i am looking at purchasing a Jeep Cheroke (Why? my mate had one, i loved it, looks great, yadda yadda...)

In particular i have my eye on a Cherokee '04 (MY04) Limited with about 65000k on the clock from a dealer (i'm a close friend of one of the sale's persons there & he is looking after me).

I certainly know a thing or two about cars & motorbikes, but have had hardly any experience in the 4WD business - aside from basics, is there anything in particular i should be looking for with this model Jeep? (any recalls on such things, problems with 4WD transmission, visual warning signs to look for under the Jeep etc)

Does anyone else have a '04 Cherokee Limited with problem's they've run into around the same mileage that i'm looking at?

(i'm told that the car was Company Car previously, so i'm "assuming" somewhat that is hasn't been off-road, but i'm still cautious...)

Any help would be more than appreciated! (i've tried scouring the web for reviews, & pretty much turned up with diddally-squat)

-Kieran

glend
14-02-09, 04:04 PM
Well congratulations. Can you tell me if this is the V6 Petrol model or the diesel? Any response is due in a big part to which one your looking at. Generally they are a well sorted out Jeep and it was not the first year for that model. You'll need to be sure that any recalls or service bulletins have been carried out, which is probably the case if it was services regularly by a Jeep dealer.

KayJay
14-02-09, 04:40 PM
LOL!

My bad, didn't think of that - it's the V6 Petrol (i wanted 2 stay away from the CRD Turbo Diesel re maintenance)

:)

-Kieran

glend
14-02-09, 05:00 PM
KayJay, I suggest you follow the link below to the KJ forum of AusJeep which contains a massive database of information on the KJ series (which is what the Cherokee your looking at is designated).

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=158

The 'sticky' postings there contain much information that could be of use, particularly the one on recalls, ball joint problems, etc.

Good luck. There are other sources of information but AJOR is a good place to start reading.

Dave
20-02-09, 04:16 PM
Hi,

I have an 05 KJ CRD (that's the diesel) and if I can say anything about it, it is the diesel engine that has NOT caused trouble. Plus you get MUCH better fuel economy especially on highway!

As Glen said, definately make sure recalls have been carried out!

Happy Jeeping.

Dave

TK421
11-03-09, 11:28 AM
Diesel might not be economical at all unless you are doing the miles up and down the highway. If you use the car in and around the city, petrol would be better. This is an opinion, and I stand to be corrected.
Just buy your fuel on a Wednesday morning and you should be OK.
I use E10 in my 2006 Jeep Cherokee Renegade - and it costs me $70 to fill my tank. I am doing around 470km to the tank.
Good luck.
TK

Dave
11-03-09, 06:07 PM
Okay TK you giant Star Wars fan you, why aren't you at your post?

My 05 Diesel KJ does 8 to 9 litres per 100kms on the freeway depending on headwinds. The best I've had was 7.6 litres per 100 with a strong tailwind.

In the city I average about 13 litres per 100. At the moment diesel costs about the same as unleaded so I'm pretty happy. Sure, a year ago, not so much. I usually fill up before the tank runs dry, but that is still about 600k's to the tank.

Dave

KJ_Ash
19-03-09, 05:43 PM
I have an 05 CRD KJ and can get from Sydney to the QLD boarder on one tank but I didn't buy the CRD for the fuel savings, I bought it for the grunt ;D

PM me KayJay if you have ANY questions at all.... only too happy to help.