PDA

View Full Version : Diff Breather Hoses

Bruce Kerney
27-02-09, 02:18 PM
OK , I've got another one for you all, hey if I don't ask how else am I going to find out....... I do normally drive a "Rice Burner"
Differential breather hoses on Jeeps, not sure if they are there, surely must be, a hot diff going into water must contract, so water doesn't enter via oil seals, breathers must be there, how far into body work do they go. Knowing some vehicles and the water they cross are they up high enough.
I have know people to extend them and then put the cheaper style in line clear plastic fuel filters on the end so dust doesn't get into the breather as well. Got a winch question next, but thats for another time....

Steve F
27-02-09, 02:46 PM
Not sure about the Wranglers (TJ or JK) but on the XJ the front breather goes up into the engine bay somewhere, quite high from what I remember and the rear goes up into the chassis rail, not as high as the front but still a reasonable distance. If I was going to extend the front I'd run it up into the snorkel not sure about the rear though.

Cheers
Steve

casey
27-02-09, 03:30 PM
The JK has them, they go as far up as the top of the shock mounts. They have one way valves on the ends to stop water going back down into them.

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=35638&highlight=breather

(keep the questions coming, I'm learning just as much as you are :) )

glend
27-02-09, 04:31 PM
I've done all the breathers on my KJ CRD - there are six! So I would be surprised if all you had to worry about in a JK is the Diffs. In the KJ there are the: front diff (which did terminate on the top of the strut tower under the battery); Tranny and transfer case breathers which sit on top of the tranny at the firewall (very hard to get to to extend); the rear diff breather sits on a short hose above the rear axle; the fuel tank has two breathers - one in the filler neck and one on top of the tank at the rear. Six in total. All of my front breathers (Front Diff, Tranny, and Transfer Case) now sit at the top of the firewall just under the bonnet. My rear breathers (Rear Diff, and two Tank breathers) are extended up to the top of the fuel filler neck near the fuel filler door. The old plastic breather caps have been replaced (they are hardly valves), and one was melted (transfer case) due to touching the exhaust pipe. I have installed small inline fuel filters (the cheap Repco ones) at the end of each breather.

Happy to show my breather extensions and discuss at the next club meeting.