PDA

View Full Version : SJC trip #3 to Bylong

Bear
28-03-09, 11:26 AM
I am calling for an expression of interest for a trip on "Queen's Birthday" w/end 05/--08/06/09.

If there is sufficient interest I will book SJC in, this has bocome necessary as the property is becoming more and more popular, and the land owner wants to avoid over crowding the camp site.

On offer this trip will be a replication of some of the events from "Son of trials" and willow glen "Funkahna".

The weather should be cooler than the January trip,we may even have to keep an eye on the "brass monkeys" if there are any side trips to the high country.

At the moment we have access to this property, and its a case of use it or lose it.

Bear.

Bear
23-04-09, 03:47 PM
Maggie and Bear will be doing the Jeeping/Camping thing at Bylong on "Queens Birthday" weekend, 05-----08/06/09.

We will travel up on Friday 05/06/09.

Any SJC members wishing to join us please post up a response ASAP so I can get an idea of numbers to advise the land owner how much camp space we shall need.

As you post up please PM me the following details

Daytime name
Member number
Rego number of your vehicle
Type of Jeep vehicle
Number of persons attending with you.

Bear.

glend
23-04-09, 04:12 PM
I am interested in this Queens B-day trip to Bylong.

stevet
23-04-09, 06:24 PM
Put my name down Bear :)

casey
24-04-09, 02:55 PM
is this the same weekend as "classic not plastic"?

glend
24-04-09, 04:35 PM
Yes, Casey, according to the May issue of Jeep Action the "Classic Not Plastic" is on from the 6-8th June. at Gloucester Tops.

azasjeep
24-04-09, 05:37 PM
What sort of wheeling is there at bylong, is it genuinely challenging or is it softish?

casey
24-04-09, 05:49 PM
Currently its pretty easy going. Bruce (the owner) does want to build it up and put in harder tracks with our input and help. he is happy to make it as hard as we want :)

I've not been on the tracks that surround the property, others that have been there might be able to fill you in with those details.

Reg has been talking to the BBM guys about tagging along with them to their property to get on some harder tracks.

Wolfe
25-04-09, 12:20 AM
Following my kids enthusiasm for camping at Camp Coffs I would be really keen to attend.

rupicon
26-04-09, 10:25 PM
I may be in realy want to see the place and wheel it but shel has already said no for her ::)

Bear
26-04-09, 10:33 PM
I may be in realy want to see the place and wheel it but shel has already said no for her ::)

That's a shame, why doesn't she want to go .. just because there are no toilets and no hot showers and you have to take your own water and everything else you may need .. where is her spirit of adventure ????? And then you have to look for or make your own tracks .. doh

Maggie.

rupicon
27-04-09, 10:58 PM
why? something to do with 4 days of rain at campcoffs ::)

Bear
01-05-09, 09:17 PM
This is Maggie practising for the "apres" wheeling at Bylong in our new tent.

http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2101&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=0516050bf12eae7825f43ba84aa028de (http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/index.php?action=gallery&g2_itemId=2100)Click thumbnail

Dave
06-05-09, 11:10 PM
I'm in. Not going to Birdsville this year, so Bylong (starts with a B) will have to do for now!

Will PM to Bear.

Dave.

Bear
11-05-09, 12:38 PM
I will be closing the book for nominations to join on this trip on Mon 25/05/2009. in order that I can compile a list and forward it to the land owner.

So if you are interested post up then pm me the details requested earlier in this thread.

Bear

Wolfe
11-05-09, 09:40 PM
how many are going bear?

Bear
12-05-09, 08:11 AM
So far the following persons have nominated for this trip

Maggie H
Steve T
Glen D
Dave G
Stuart G
James M
Ken H
Scott B

Heidi
17-05-09, 09:28 PM
Pack the thermals! We had a frost this morning at Olinda Hall

Maggie
17-05-09, 09:59 PM
Thanks for that Heidi, we are going from one extreme to the other .. 45 degree heat in January and frost in June. Thermals are on the shopping list for next week.

Hope your weekend up there worked well .. how was the Widden Trail, I think Bruce plans to take us on that when we are up there.

Heidi
18-05-09, 05:29 PM
it had just been graded so it was relatively easy - but a wonderful drive. Don't forget to sign the visitor books at the horse cave and the hut if you do get to do it.

Bear
18-05-09, 07:35 PM
Anyone attending this trip if you have drag chains could you please bring them along. The priority task is to collect firewood for the campsite.Gloves would also be handy.
Secondary task for the w/end will be to assist Bruce set some poles in holes already dug, to extend the shelter in the camp area.

I have spoken to our host this evening and he has advised me the campsite has been mowed in anticipation of our visit.

Bear

jeepney
20-05-09, 12:25 AM
...and don't forget the "holes" in strategic locations for the benefit of those without portaloos. Maybe a special "throne" :D :D for the King on top of that huge rectangular rock.

Bear
21-05-09, 08:12 PM
Any one wishing to join this trip for a w/end of camping and wheeling please post up ASAP if you have not already done so.

The nominations and acceptances will close at 8.00pm Monday 25/05/2009. This is necessary so the land owner can be advised how many persons/vehicles will be on the property.

Bear

PONYKID
25-05-09, 01:47 AM
We usually go to Grenfell for the June LWE, but Scott's itching to go to Bylong with you lot. I don't mind camping, but unfortunately I don't see any fun in doing my business in a bucket or hole in the ground, so whether Scott goes or not, you can count me OUT!

glend
25-05-09, 08:52 AM
This does seem to be a big issue for some people and is understandable. As a suggestion: Porta-potti (camping toilets) don't cost very much and are a good investment. I have one in my camper. Stick one in a popup shower/toliet cubicle and you have everything you need for bush camping. These things can be picked up at any BCF, Rays Outdoors, or Anaconda store. They are even available on ebay (new) for as little as $60.

Perhaps the club can consider the investment, especially if it improves takeup on trips like this. Obviously it has to be emptied, and that hole in the ground would be suitable then.

Hoppy
25-05-09, 09:05 PM
Hey Bear ,
We would like to attend if not too late, will send you a PM

Hoppy
26-05-09, 08:47 PM
Hey Bear
We'd be interested to what age kids are going, if any, our two are 13 & 18

Wolfe
26-05-09, 09:19 PM
Hey Bear
We'd be interested to what age kids are going, if any, our two are 13 & 18

I've got two boys coming along, one six, one fourteen. I don't know whether my eighteen year old will come or not

Bear
26-05-09, 09:40 PM
When we were at Bylong in January the Rare Breed 4wd club were there also and they had teenagers with them. That club will be there again when we are there.

There are only two of our members bringing kids and you have both posted up and answered your own questions.

Bear

Bear
27-05-09, 09:18 AM
So far the following persons have nominated for this trip

Maggie H
Steve T
Glen D
Dave G
Stuart G
James M
Ken H
Scott B

I will now forward the list of names and rego numbers to the land owner.

Bear

PONYKID
27-05-09, 01:41 PM
Has it been decided what time you are going up there Friday? At this stage I still have to work Fri.

Wolfe
27-05-09, 05:24 PM
Meet at Maccas Richmond at 0800, Hopefully on the road at 0830. Arrive Kandos 1130 approx meet Bruce (land owner) drive to Bylong, arrive approx 1330.and set up camp

PONYKID
28-05-09, 12:15 AM
Still trying to swindle my way out of working on Friday, if all else fails, might suddenly fall ill that morning *cough cough*

Bear
28-05-09, 06:54 PM
The list of names,rego nos.etc has been forwarded to the land owner.

We will meet at Maccas Richmond 0800 Frid 05/06 and convoy to the Miners Lamp car park Lithgow where we will pick up those towing trailers at 10.00, then convoy to Kandos.

Be advised the land owner has suggested fitting fly wire or some similar screen across your radiator grille to prevent the "cat tail" grass from getting into your radiator and causing over heating problems.

Bear

Steve F
28-05-09, 07:35 PM
The list of names,rego nos.etc has been forwarded to the land owner.

We will meet at Maccas Richmond 0800 Frid 05/06 and convoy to the Miners Lamp car park Lithgow where we will pick up those towing trailers at 10.00, then convoy to Kandos.

Be advised the land owner has suggested fitting fly wire or some similar screen across your radiator grille to prevent the "cat tail" grass from getting into your radiator and causing over heating problems.

Bear

Overheating in June at Bylong ;) You wish......

Cheers
Steve

PONYKID
28-05-09, 10:49 PM
Better safe than sorry I guess!

Maggie
01-06-09, 09:57 AM
Just a heads up for all those travelling to Bylong next weekend. A friend was there last weekend and it is very very cold at night .. take a warm doona as well as sleeping bags was their tip.
Maggie.

glend
01-06-09, 10:23 AM
I like the cold, easier to deal with than 40+C heat.

Wolfe
02-06-09, 08:31 PM
Would any one be able to tow my trailer up for me? Or have room in their trailer for my Marque and dinner table? I'm taking the Cherokee up and it doesn't have a tow bar

sbadman
02-06-09, 08:39 PM
Would any one be able to tow my trailer up for me? Or have room in their trailer for my Marque and dinner table? I'm taking the Cherokee up and it doesn't have a tow bar

PM being sent, I might be able to help out there...

Wolfe
02-06-09, 08:49 PM
PM replied thanks buddy!!! :-* :-* :-*

stevet
02-06-09, 09:27 PM
I am heading up on Saturday morning so tow is there if you need one Wolfe....

stevet
02-06-09, 09:37 PM
For those travelling up Saturday via Bells Line of Road to Lithgow:-
Meet -- Richmond MacDonalds @ 8.00a.m, Depart- 8.15a.m,
We will then meet up with those going via the G/Western Hwy at the Miners Lamp at Lithgow then convoy up to Kandos to fuel up etc then onto Bylong.
CB channel 15.
Mob. No.-- (0412)707903 if you need more info??

glend
02-06-09, 10:03 PM
The Saturday morning Great Western Highway convoy will be:

Glend, Hoppy, and Dave.

Dave and I will be meeting at the M4 Maccas before the Lighthorse interchange at 6am for a breakfast, and then heading out the Great Western Highway meeting Hoppy and family at their place in Warrimoo around 7am.

We will meet up with SteveT's group at the Miners Lamp Lithgow after 8am.

Anyone else wanting to tag along on this convoy please let us know.

Wolfe
02-06-09, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the offer Steve.
So who is going up friday?

Maggie
02-06-09, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the offer Steve.
So who is going up friday?

The Friday convoy will be Bear and Myself
James Macmang and Emmy
Stuart and his boys
Scott and Kay Badman
Dutchie

PONYKID
03-06-09, 02:54 PM
....A friend was there last weekend and it is very very cold at night ...

Noooooooooo!!! I HATE the cold!!

Flatfender
05-06-09, 02:36 PM
Spotted 9.30am SJC convoy heading to Lithgow on Bells Line of Road.
Flashed and waved - they probably wondered what the hell that was about.
I was in a silver XJ6 heading back from Cobar.
Ian W.

stevet
05-06-09, 09:08 PM
Anyone at Richmond Macca's??...

Wolfe
08-06-09, 09:16 PM
;D wow, what a great weekend, awesome mix of tracks from mild to Wild. We were given carte blanche to create ANY tracks we wanted. So Steve T, The Badman and I did just that through creek beds, up embankments through bush, just fantastic.
We also helped out around the farm dragging huge logs back to camp for the fire. Helping to build new amenities.
If you haven't been up there yet, dont miss out next time, great place, great people, thanks to everyone for making my first time to Bylong an event not to be forgotten.

glend
08-06-09, 09:58 PM
Here are a few photos from Bylong #3, including the Wombat for Dutchie.

The morning mist

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj454/glend1450/DSCN0266.jpg

What a difference the sun makes.

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj454/glend1450/DSCN0280.jpg

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj454/glend1450/DSCN0279.jpg

This wombat lives near the camp, next to the hill track to the south (hint for Dutchie - look under the lone dead tree in the field to the right of the track).

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj454/glend1450/DSCN0292.jpg

stevet
08-06-09, 10:41 PM
Great weekend all round, sorry, no pic's ::). Thanks to all who went and enjoyed our host's 8) :) hospitality and use of his property for us to explore.... got to go to work :( :)

casey
08-06-09, 10:47 PM
wow - looks like you have quite a tent city going there!
how many people were in the camp all up?

great to hear that you had fun, i really want to get out there, hopefully next time.

Steve F
08-06-09, 10:56 PM
I think Rare Breed were up there as well. Does look like a good weekend though, better temperatures than last time by the look of it. Who's writing the report for Rebecca and the mag? ;)

Cheers
Steve

Bear
08-06-09, 11:28 PM
As we discussed at dinner Sunday night hopefully every one who was there will contribute an article for the mag.

Bear

sbadman
09-06-09, 01:59 AM
Mr and Mrs Bad(egg)man are home safe and sound at 1am.

Cheers!

Wolfe
09-06-09, 02:19 AM
So wheres all the photos? Mine are all wiped off the memory thanks to unnamed eight year old fiddlers (god bless em) Sam took some on his camera

Dave
09-06-09, 12:04 PM
It was a GREAT weekend, between SJC and Rare Breed, there must have been 30 to 40 people all up? Maybe 15 vehicles. That meant fairly good times around a couple of campfires.

Big thanks to Bear and Maggie for organising! Big thanks to all who came up for some great wheeling, driver training and a relaxing social weekend.

This was my first trip, but it won't be the last. As Wolfie said, we can put in new tracks, but we are also helping with the facilities. The shelter is growing, and there will be even better 'facilities' (if you know what I mean - no shovels needed) next time! The place will only get better.

I have photos, but I'm not putting them on here (mainly because I have failed before). I will bring disks to the next meeting!

Dave

PONYKID
09-06-09, 12:39 PM
"Rustle, Rustle" ;D

PONYKID
09-06-09, 01:33 PM
I had an AWESOME weekend (other than the cold!), and I can't wait to do it again in the summer months. The property, company and 4WDing exceeded my expectations. Even the rain didn't dampen anyone's spirits, in fact it just made the tracks more fun!! I even got to do my first bit of off road driving, my first snatch, and took a virgin ride in a Rubicon!

I have tonnes of photos and videos, which I will sort out and upload tomorrow. Could anyone who went and doesn't want their cars/number plates to be seen online or on Youtube, please let me know ASAP.

Cpage66
09-06-09, 04:00 PM
I had an AWESOME weekend (other than the cold!), and I can't wait to do it again in the summer months. The property, company and 4WDing exceeded my expectations. Even the rain didn't dampen anyone's spirits, in fact it just made the tracks more fun!! I even got to do my first bit of off road driving, my first snatch, and took a virgin ride in a Rubicon!

I have tonnes of photos and videos, which I will sort out and upload tomorrow. Could anyone who went and doesn't want their cars/number plates to be seen online or on Youtube, please let me know ASAP.

Might be a good idea to blur 'em all...

Wolfe
09-06-09, 04:24 PM
I

its probably best if possible

NT-Boy
09-06-09, 04:44 PM
Looks and sounds like everyone that went to Bylong had a great time. Cant wait to see more photos and the Vid. :)

PONYKID
09-06-09, 08:35 PM
There's too many to blur them ALL, and I have no idea how I could blur them on the videos. I just won't bother uploading them then or try to make an invitation-only gallery.

jeepney
09-06-09, 08:51 PM
To all of you who were there at Bylong#3, thanks for the company and camaraderie. Sure we did had fun driving around the property and survived the freezing nights while the snooring group made their nocturnal performance. Thanks to Maggie and Bear for spearheading this trip. It was well-organised inspite of the fact that some of us forgot and left some important "stuff" at home. (My airbed for example.) I have some photos, too. To be honest, I have to ask help from my son to unload them in this forum. Lastly, many thanks also to the landowner who was kind and generous to open their property for our enjoyment. Looking forward to another camping trip. But.. please make it at spring time this time.

wlublink
11-06-09, 11:50 AM
Hi guys,

Yes indeed it was a great weekend at Bylong...again.... Lots of opportunities to do what ever you like hard stuff or easy going!

This wombat lives near the camp, next to the hill track to the south (hint for Dutchie - look under the lone dead tree in the field to the right of the track).

Wombats are a fairytale.... ;)

Dutchie

PONYKID
11-06-09, 12:35 PM
I also wanted to say thanks to Dutchie for going easy on me and helping me thru my first off road solo drive. :)

wlublink
11-06-09, 07:50 PM
My pleasure, you did well !!

Bruce Kerney
12-06-09, 04:08 PM
Thank you for those that attended, still can't figure the middle of summer, middle of winter extremes with you guys though.

Special thanks to new track builders Steve and Stuart for actually looking around,seeing and driving potential trails in the creek track and a few other trails.
To Scott, Stuart(Winchman), Dave and Wyanda, with Peter from Range Rover Club for helping get a trailer of firewood for me to be warm at home.
Dave, I hope to one day emulate your stunt driving skills in parallel parking my Cruiser in the creek back at the campsite, I have stopped shaking now, as well as your contour bank driving skills.
Water and wood carter Scott also helped keep the campsite supplied with essentials, to those that helped Paul and Peter lift the posts for the future extension of the shelter to try to make everyones life at the campsite easier and comfortable.
Rainmaker Wyanda, for bringing a little rain to make tracks slippery, What do Camp Coffs floods , Brisbane Floods and Bylong rainy weekend all have in common........Dutchie.
James for trusting me to work on his Jeep putting his UHF antenna in, actually allowed me to drill holes in his pride and joy.
Very special mention to Paul and Jo, friends from up here that volunteered a weekend preparing the camp area, Paul mowing with a ride on mower and Jo rock picking so that everyone had a rock free and clear neat area to set up camp.
Again to Reg and Maggie for leading the trip and hopefully a lot more in future, just bring more pyromaniacs we have a lot more rubbish timber to be burnt and cleaned up.
Thanks to all for the weekend
Bruce

Wolfe
12-06-09, 04:11 PM
Thanks Bruce for a great weekend. ;D

wlublink
12-06-09, 07:18 PM
What do Camp Coffs floods , Brisbane Floods and Bylong rainy weekend all have in common........Dutchie.

what can i say...it's my special raindance, only dutch people can do that :o

PONYKID
12-06-09, 09:21 PM
I have to agree with Wolfe, thanks for a great weekend! :)

Dave
15-06-09, 06:07 PM
Bruce, it was really great weekend, and absolutely excellent to meet someone else that takes himself as seriously as I do. Next time I'll try reverse parallel parking with pike - although that is safer in a monocoque like a Jeep than a ladder chassis 80. The slalom driving - was FUN! (And I didn't even scratch it).

Looking forward to next time, happy to help set some fires!

Dave

rupicon
16-06-09, 09:10 PM
Looks like fun, next time ::)