PDA

View Full Version : GPS and the iPhone!

TK421
08-04-09, 04:39 PM
I just thought I share with you how good my iPhone is to use as a GPS, using Google Maps!
It even does street view and takes you right to the destination - by showing you a picture of the "house" you are going to.
And, all for free - just on the normal phone plan with OPTUS.
The only difference is that it does not talk to you.
If you are one of those dudes who likes the weirdo voices in the GPS, then the iPhone is not for you, but if you are one who would prefer to read instructions and be guided by a modern, easy to follow system, and totally free (as long as you don't exceed the monthly download limit) then, say bye bye to the GPS - the iPhone is so much better.
What are your thoughts on this?
Do you prefer the GPS or Satnav?
TK

casey
08-04-09, 05:19 PM
satnav ftw.. dont need an internet connection to download maps for it work.

although since we got ours stolen, our phones have come in handy :)

Steve F
08-04-09, 05:32 PM
Satnav :) I think you'd be pushing to use the iPhone outside of the city etc. Satnav is also free and with a bluetooth GPS can hook up to your Windows Mobile phone ;)

Cheers
Steve

TK421
08-04-09, 05:55 PM
You have a point - outside the mobile phone coverage area, I am stuffed.
I suppose, outside of the city, it's pretty much useless... but, while I'm in town, I guess, it's a much better option as the iPhone has street view.
TK

jeepthing
09-04-09, 10:04 AM
Never used an iPhone- does it give audible directions? I wouldn't use a satnav if it didn't.

sbadman
10-04-09, 10:26 AM
Nothing that my Windows based HTC can't do, and with NextG coverage, it'll do it for longer too :) So far used it to track progress through Menai the other week, but need something that's more geared to bush tracks, as Google Maps is pretty useless for offroad unless the satellite's camera was able to see the track ie no bush!

TK421
13-04-09, 07:31 PM
That is great... that is the point of this discussion - it kinda sounds to me that the mobile phones are getting so advanced that it may be soon a thing of the past to have a SAT NAV system, considering the HIGH prices.
I have had no regrets with the iPhone (except I have yet to use it outside the metro areas covered by the mobile phone network) and as pointed out, other phones can do the same - or more, considering.
TK

jeepthing
13-04-09, 09:18 PM
it will be sometime before i use my mobile for anything more than phone calls and reminders. past nokias have always died 1 month out of warranty, my current sony ericsson crashes like no tomorrow even doing something simple like go to contacts

sbadman
14-04-09, 09:08 PM
Don't get me wrong, I still prefer the Navman, and occasionally the old technology (ie street directory :)). The Navman screen is better laid out, maps are preloaded, and it has voice guidance, but it is useless off road. Heck it gets lost when I'm parked outside my house (long driveway!).

Re. Nokias, the HTC is the first phone I've ever owned that hasn't been a Nokia.

2010 (brick) - still worked when I upgraded, SMS was quite the gimmick :)
3210 - still worked when I upgraded
3315 - still worked when I upgraded, eventually gave it to a friend who needed a temp phone
6230 - drowned in the washing machine, came back to life long enough to retrieve data
6230i - dropped 4 meters onto concrete floor, came back to life and still worked when I upgraded
6085 - still works, backup phone with couple hundred old contacts.

I have found though that by not following the pack and getting something that's not an iPhone, it's very difficult to find accessories in the shops. Every case, holder, speaker set, etc, is for flippin' iPhone! Apple hav proved you can sell anything by just putting an 'i' as a prefix ;)

AussieCJ7
17-04-09, 02:57 PM
And will only get better with V3.0 of the OS upgrade due out soon the SDK (software developers kit) out already has opened up the ability for 3rd party apps to access all parts of the hardware so wont be long before voice guided maps will be out for the iphone

Jaffas
21-04-09, 10:12 PM
don't have iphone... so I is still liking my TomTom running on an IPAQ... now, just have to get oziexplorer going on it...

Steve F
21-04-09, 10:18 PM
My current in car GPS system, runs Destinator and Oziexplorer and current holds maps for the whole country ;) Also has 160GB of storage for music, movies etc along with internet access, weather updates etc etc Wiring has all been hidden since these pics.

http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/albums/album860/100_6904.sized.jpg

http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/albums/album860/100_6910.sized.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Jaffas
23-04-09, 10:09 PM
ZOMG you upgrading Steve!!

sbadman
07-05-09, 04:02 PM
I've recently been trialing a free program called NoniGPSPlot. It works with a GPS enabled Pocket PC (ie most newer Windows based touch screen phones) and is compatable with Google Maps. This morning I used it to track my walk around the front yard and then imported to 'route' into Google Maps, as seen in the attached file (5kB).

I figure this could be used to plot tracks as they're discovered/driven and give a new dimention to future trip reports.

It can also be used in reverse, previously plotted tracks or routes created in Google Maps can be imported and the software then functions much the same as a conventional waypoint based GPS unit.

Will post more useful features as I discover them :)

Dave
07-05-09, 07:32 PM
I bought a Garmin Nuvi 255w with all of Aust Topos (from Garmin) on SD, plus a RAM Mount for $650 last month. I had already waypointed the proposed trip to Poepple Corner (am I bored or what???) and ALL the tracks are on it. Then of course I found out that GPSOZ at Mona Vale has an even better mapping package coming out next month - for less. D'oh!

Anyway, it works fine, but Steve - I am feeling a little jealous!

One question, I heard that running GPS on a mobile costs money - just like making a call. I "heard" a story once where someone had left their mobile mapping on for a longish drive, and was charged big bucks. Any truth in that? I have been reluctant to use my mobile for downloading as I do not know what it costs.

Dave

sbadman
07-05-09, 08:00 PM
One question, I heard that running GPS on a mobile costs money - just like making a call. I "heard" a story once where someone had left their mobile mapping on for a longish drive, and was charged big bucks. Any truth in that? I have been reluctant to use my mobile for downloading as I do not know what it costs.

Dave

The GPS functionality is built in and free. What costs the bickies and quickly adds up is the constant map downloading, particularly with Google Maps style applications.

Although the GPS program I'm currently experimenting with can download maps on the fly, I've been playing with the map pre-loading feature. It seems a little preperation before a trip can have maps of the area (satellite, road or terrain) loaded up and ready to go, saving the need to download maps on the fly. Good for the wallet, but more importantly good for when phone reception inevitably drops out, and Google Maps becomes useless!

Dave
08-05-09, 02:26 PM
Thanks, only one response to that. WOW! So much I wish I knew more about before spending money.

When you have it all running, I hope you will consider doing a presentation at a meeting!