PDA

View Full Version : Menai Mid-Week Clean up Wed. 03/06/09**cancelled due to Rain**

stevet
27-04-09, 09:14 PM
Those wanting to attend;-
Meet - @ Gate No.6 on Heathcote Road Menai,
Time - 10.00a.m,
Bring wear - Decent shoes/boots, gloves, have own recovery gear, recovery points F/Rear, CB radio, food/drink of choice, bug spray :) and your camera/video.
Participation at a Menai clean-up will give you 12 months access rights the drive the tracks there on "Official" club runs there.
Post up your intent to attend.
Further info contact Stephen T. Mob. No. 0412-707903

****** Attending -- Ash T.,
George M.,
Peter ?.,
Casey G., ??
Stephen T.
?? This could be you??
**** the Mid-Week Clean-up has been cancelled due to the continuing wet weather. The next Midweek clean-up at Menai is on Wednesday 05/08/09. ****

Chook
30-04-09, 12:15 PM
Hi Steve,

It's been a while since Ash and I have been out.

So put us down.

Cheers,

George.

goldeneagle05
30-04-09, 06:54 PM
Any room for a non member, have just joined forum and have not been to menai as have moved from central coast to Berowra, have all the rec gear?

stevet
30-04-09, 08:48 PM
Hi GoldenEagle05,
You can come to the clean-up as a guest of the club 8).
See you at Menai...
Stephen T.

KJ_Ash
01-05-09, 01:27 PM
Where's Casey.....? ::)

Would love to see the springs and tyres in action!

Any chance of coming out Casey...?

casey
01-05-09, 02:16 PM
if im still unemployed on the 3rd of june, sure i can go :P

goldeneagle05
12-05-09, 11:28 PM
Where is gate 6, directions please, thanks, Peter

sbadman
13-05-09, 07:48 PM
Where is gate 6, directions please, thanks, Peter

Gate 6 is off Heathcoat Road, GPS co-ordinates are 33°59'53.26"S 150°59'46.26"E. That's usually the only way I can find it as the sign is a bit overgrown!

stevet
25-05-09, 06:07 PM
...Bump...

Flatfender
27-05-09, 09:31 PM
Damn!
Can't make this one I will be way out West again.

stevet
01-06-09, 07:57 PM
Sorry folk's, the midweek clean-up has been cancelled due to the continuing wet weather not allowing the tracks to dry out.
The next Midweek clean-up is on Wednesday 05/08/09 from 10.00a.m....

CraigB
01-06-09, 09:12 PM
Hi,
As a new member and not having been out anywhere with the club, I suppose this question is going to expose a certain niavete - but, this is actually the 3rd consecutive time for me a Menai cleanup has been canned due to inclement weather and I dont understand that. Supposedly, no-one can go there unless they attend a cleanup beforehand. Is that a club rule? Or a 4Wd assoc rule? Or a council rule?

Like, rain + dust = mud. We driving Jeeps there, so whats the problem causing the cancellation? ???

sbadman
01-06-09, 09:47 PM
Hi,
As a new member and not having been out anywhere with the club, I suppose this question is going to expose a certain niavete - but, this is actually the 3rd consecutive time for me a Menai cleanup has been canned due to inclement weather and I dont understand that. Supposedly, no-one can go there unless they attend a cleanup beforehand. Is that a club rule? Or a 4Wd assoc rule? Or a council rule?

Like, rain + dust = mud. We driving Jeeps there, so whats the problem causing the cancellation? ???

As fun as mud driving is, the risk of track damage is much higher after rain. Vehicles ripping up the mud can cause severe rutting of the tracks. If a 4WD with 35's wears ruts up to its diffs, you can imagine how a 4WD with only 31's is going to fair afterwards.....

My understanding is Menai is essentially privately owned and has associations with 4WD clubs via the Menai committee, we help look after it by doing cleanups and not driving there after rain causing track erosion, and in return they grant permission to use the tracks at other times when requested.

I'm sure if I've missed or misrepresented anything I'll be corrected soon enough! :)

casey
01-06-09, 09:59 PM
spot on scott.

you can see the areas that have been driven on after rain at Menai and they are a royal PAIN to go through :P

NT-Boy
01-06-09, 10:49 PM
5-8-09 is good for me! i'll be a SJC member by then, and ill have recovery hooks too. ;)

stevet
01-06-09, 11:00 PM
Hi,

Hi CraigB,
The rule was part of an access agreement negotiated with the traditional land owners( Gandangara clan), the local land council, the 4wd assoc. & others for use/+continuing use of their land to drive on weather permitting ( it's also closed during times of "Total Fire bans"). So compliance = continued access.
So we attempt to keep the place clean, hence the monthly clean-up's held there. Certain areas are off limits to drive on which are sensitive to the local people. So we do our best to keep it open for use but you always get some folk's who just don't care what they do.
As Scott already stated, track damage is increased after wet weather so Menai is closed if heavy rain occurs to lessen any damage. This way is one less hassle with the "greenies" out there. Also Nat. parks want to completely fence-off Menai for any use what so ever, another issue to deal with. If you look at it, not much is asked for the use of Menai by the local land owners....

Steve F
01-06-09, 11:24 PM
Hi,

The rules are set by the land owners,it's private property, not that you'd know it by the number of vehicles that just drive out there ::) So basically if they say no driving on our land after rain then that's what the 4WD Association tells us and that's what we do. In saying that as a club we also try and follow the tread lightly recommendations and avoid running trips just to tear it up after some rain. We wont cancel a trip but we will adjust the trip or sometimes go somewhere else.

If you're after a trip come up to Lake Lyell on the 14th of June, it'll be on regardless of the weather and is a great trip with water crossings and some good climbs with sections ranging from C+ to A grade options.

Cheers
Steve

CraigB
03-06-09, 08:51 PM
Ok then. I suppose thats fair enough - more a reason than a rule? Thats cool. I'll go for the official next one (but will be there plenty in an 'unofficial' capacity till then!). ;)

Steve F
03-06-09, 11:42 PM
Ok then. I suppose thats fair enough - more a reason than a rule? Thats cool. I'll go for the official next one (but will be there plenty in an 'unofficial' capacity till then!). ;)

Maybe something got missed, it's a rule, just not one decided by SJC but rather by the owners of the land, much like you might have rules if I come to your place, they are there for a reason and as a guest I would respect them or not go. Please don't drive at Menai if it is not an official trip, sure, others do, but this is being done illegally and you are leaving yourself open to a fine from the police and can be reported by the association. Apart from that the club has a member on the 4WD Association committee as well as one on the Menai committee and this suggestion of just driving at Menai unofficial does us as a club no good what so ever and really impacts on the work these guys are doing.

If you have an questions please feel free to PM or call me, my number is in the contact section of the site.

Cheers
Steve

floody
04-06-09, 11:43 AM
Maybe something got missed, it's a rule, just not one decided by SJC but rather by the owners of the land, much like you might have rules if I come to your place, they are there for a reason and as a guest I would respect them or not go. Please don't drive at Menai if it is not an official trip, sure, others do, but this is being done illegally and you are leaving yourself open to a fine from the police and can be reported by the association. Apart from that the club has a member on the 4WD Association committee as well as one on the Menai committee and this suggestion of just driving at Menai unofficial does us as a club no good what so ever and really impacts on the work these guys are doing.

If you have an questions please feel free to PM or call me, my number is in the contact section of the site.

Cheers
Steve

Well said Steve, Menai is a sensitive area and we don't wamt to lose it like so many other areas being lost at the moment.

Floody