PDA

View Full Version : lift for JK

TRBN8R
02-05-09, 09:03 AM
Hi all,
I am a newbie on the 4X4 scene. After my last trip with the club I want to lift my JK unlimited. Does any one have any idea how much lift you can legally get away with without getting a engineers certificate????

Thanks for ur advice
Mani

casey
02-05-09, 12:43 PM
You've got a few options...

If you just want to get the JK's low hanging belly off the ground quickly and cheaply, a 2" spacer lift will do it.

If you want a bit more travel and flex, a 2" spring and shock lift would be the way to go.

If you know you want to put bigger tyres on in the future, depending on what size tyres you want to get would determine how much lift you would need to fit them.

We knew we eventually wanted 35" (but they actually measure 34") mud tyres.. so instead of doing a little lift first and then spending more on another one later we stuck it out for a year (out skid pans are scratched to hell - but hey, thats what they're for) and then did both the new tyres and lift at once.

Bear in mind, the more you lift, the more components you need to change to allow for the new dimensions and angles of the suspension system.

As for engineers certificates.. AFAIK, you dont need one for just a suspension lift. I've never heard anyone in the club talk about them when lifting their jeep, and we've got plenty of Jeeps sitting on 4+ inches of lift, which is what you'd need to fit 37" tyres on a JK!

If you were doing a wholesale change to the vehicles design rather than just putting in upgraded components in then I think you would need to see an engineer.

Here is an excerpt from the RTA's guidelines - Vehicle Standard information 6, Rev 2.1, Nov 2007 - Guidelines for light vehicle modifications (available from: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_dl1.html)

Do I need an engineering signatory for minor modifications?

Vehicle modifications fall into three distinct categories:
‘Owner certified’ minor modifications which can be accepted for registration purposes without formal certification.
‘Engineering signatory certified’ modified production vehicles.
‘Engineering signatory certified’ individually constructed vehicles.

Owner certified minor modifications are generally those modifications which were optional equipment for the vehicle
concerned. Owner certified modifications also include some non-standard modifications of a minor nature which do
not affect the level of safety, strength or reliability of vital systems such as brakes and steering. These modifications have
little or no impact upon the vehicle’s level of compliance with the Australian Design Rules.

Examples of minor (owner certified) modifications are:

Engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for the
vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where noise and/or exhaust emission
ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves,
oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operate
correctly).
The fitting of a proprietary sunroof (if the modifications are of a minor nature only).
Fitting a ‘package’ available as optional equipment for the vehicle (eg front disc brakes, power steering, alternative
transmission and bucket or bench seats).
Additional lighting eg fog & driving lights.
Alternative wheels and tyres within the owner certified limits set by the Authority (see Vehicle Standards
Information Sheet No. 9 Guidelines for alternative wheels & tyres).
Fitting of handling enhancing suspension components such as roll stabiliser bars and up-rated shock absorbers.

Major modifications which fall outside the category of minor (owner certified) modifications require submission of certification by an RTA recognised engineering signatory. This is usually in the form of an Engineering certificate
prepared by the signatory.

Does the RTA require notification of the modifications?

All major modifications must be reported to the RTA. Minor modifications made to the motor vehicle or its
equipment which affect registration details must be reported to the RTA to ensure that accurate records are
maintained. These details include engine number, engine capacity/motive power/number of cylinders, body shape,
fittings, number of seating positions, unladen (tare) weight, gross vehicle mass, axle code, wheelbase & overall axle
space. If the unladen weight has changed, the owner must provide a weighbridge ticket for the vehicle in its new configuration.

Modifications are reported to the RTA by obtaining an Adjustment of Records and a ‘blue slip’ from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (AUVIS). For details of your nearest AUVIS contact the RTA’s
Customer Service Centre on 13 22 13.

The Adjustment of Records, blue slip and any engineering certificate are then presented at a Motor Registry. The owners copy of the engineering certificate is stamped and endorsed by the RTA and must be kept in the vehicle.
This certificate must be presented to an authorised officer of the RTA or the police when requested.

To what extent can I modify my vehicle?

Suspension
Besides assuring a comfortable ride, a vehicle’s suspension system controls wheel movement for handling and road holding. Manufacturers conduct extensive test programs to develop suitable suspension settings. Adjustments, such as lowering the vehicle, can upset the suspension characteristics and cause unpredictable handling. Generally, roll stabilizer bars, axle locating rods, upgraded shock absorbers or upgraded springs may be used provided they are suitable for the vehicle and are properly fitted.

However, the following suspension modifications are not acceptable:

Welding forged components such as stub axles or control arms.
Fitting longer, non-standard shackles to leaf springs.
Fitting any additional components or altering the suspension so that the wheels or tyres may contact any component under the full range of suspension and steering travel.
Fitting any additional components or altering the suspension ride height so that any part of the vehicle other than a wheel or tyre can contact the road in the event of a tyre deflation.

If major changes to the suspension (such as substitution of a non standard front cross member) are carried out, they should be done under the strict guidance of an engineering signatory.

glend
02-05-09, 12:54 PM
Casey I wish you hadn't pointed that out. I have been relying on the NCOP to feel 'ok' about my lift. Here is the NCOP Suspension section link:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP11_Section_LS_Suspension_and_steering_3Feb2006 .pdf

It is rumored that all states are to adopt the NCOP by 1 July this year, however there is little clarity on whether this will actually happen. I do recall seeing a post on AJOR suggesting that the RTA had commited to the NCOP, but not nominated a start date.

casey
02-05-09, 06:03 PM
I don't follow you.. is your lift is ok under NCOP, but not ok under the current RTA guidelines?

glend
02-05-09, 06:44 PM
Well I get the impression from the RTA extract that a suspension lift requires 'engineering approval' as it is not considered an "owner certified" modification. In my reading of the NCOP it seems to provide more leeway in terms of what can be done without engineering certification. My reading of NCOP seems to indicate I can lift suspension by 50mm without any issues what so ever, and I can increase tyre diameter by 50mm as well as going up in aspect ratio by 10. My net lifted height is within these limits (just on them actually). If I go above these limits I am then subject to NCOP LS7 certification, which requires an engineer completing the LS7 form and the items ticked off (this has a cost of course). That's my take on it, but it could be completely wrong.

casey
02-05-09, 07:58 PM
the way I interpret the guidelines, and especially the following passage, most lifts are fine:

"Generally, roll stabilizer bars, axle locating rods, upgraded shock absorbers or upgraded springs may be used provided they are suitable for the vehicle and are properly fitted. "

and none of the "unacceptable" things occur with my lift.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Have you seen some of the crazy things some people do to their 4wds?

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2009/03/medium_3369463066_bddabb8635_o.jpg

casey
03-05-09, 05:31 PM
what part of your lift is concerning you?
I wouldnt imagine there is much you could do to a KJ that would raise the RTA's collective eye brows.. unless you did a Solid Axle Conversion... or is this one actually yours? ;)

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj454/glend1450/Als12inKJliftkit001.jpg

glend
03-05-09, 08:26 PM
I see you have heard about the JBA 12 inch KJ lift. No I'll stick with what I've got. Wooders has been talking about doing a SFA KJ. Forgetting the RTA and NCOP for a moment, my main concern is always insurance and liability, and rather than highjack this poor guys post any longer lets leave it for a discussion at the meeting.

casey
03-05-09, 09:39 PM
it looks pretty crazy.
i like the lifted KJ's and KK's, a solid axle one would be great to see in action :)

sorry Mani.. didnt mean to hijack the thread :P

TRBN8R
03-05-09, 09:50 PM
Hi Guys
;D I am actually enjoying the replies. I think I will go the way Casey suggested and go the 33 inch tyres and the 2 inch lift togeather next year.
Thanks a lot for all the advice. By the way is the suzuki up for sale???
Cheers
Mani

casey
04-05-09, 09:20 AM
If you are planning on upgrading to 33's later, I dont see anything wrong with getting a 2.5" lift now, getting some enjoyment out of it and then putting the new tyres on later.

an Unlimited with 2.5" lift on stock wheels and it looks fine...

http://www.tomrichardsonart.com/images/postlift.jpg

whereas stock wheels on 3.5" of lift makes the JK looks a bit like an awkward teenager :P

http://my.project-jk.com/data/1766/medium/IMG_2525.jpg