PDA

View Full Version : ESP ERM & How to kill it

Hunty
08-06-09, 10:13 PM
>:(
Hi Guyz and dolls
Luv my jk jeep (35's 4.5i lift) ERM is driving me crazy - has anyone got the same setup as I have, and has their erm esp working satisfactory - does anyone know how i can install a bypass switch?
cheers
Hunty
Andrew Hunt

casey
08-06-09, 10:37 PM
have you reprogrammed your computer with the new tyre sizes?

if its still got the stock diameters in it, then the ESP will kick in when you go around corners etc. as its getting the wrong information about the speed that the tyres are rotating at.

also tyre pressure can have an impact. if i put my tyres (34") at 35psi the ESP will tend to kick in around corners, if i run it at 32psi, its fine. (i found the ride at 35psi too harsh anyway)

Hunty
08-06-09, 11:06 PM
Hi Casey
Thanx for your quick and wise response! I run 35" @ 37psi so tomorrow I will drop the pressure down and see what happens.
I was in the US recently and I bought a handheld programmer to reprogram my jeep's speedo so it reads the correct speed (its pretty cool my taco now reads less than 1000 rpm in 6th at 70km hour) - does that count for reprogramming the computer? or do I need to go to jeep and have them do it
thanx again
cheers
Hunty

casey
09-06-09, 08:40 AM
that should do it.
37psi does sound pretty high.

what programmer did you get?

azasjeep
09-06-09, 03:06 PM
37 PSI is nuts for a vehicle the weight of the jk

NT-Boy
09-06-09, 03:56 PM
37 psi ! Thats an old school, trick to save fuel, it will give your suspention a work out too ;) Do what Casey said, run them at 32 psi.

casey
09-06-09, 04:07 PM
im thinking of putting mine down to 30psi. its still feeling a bit rough.

Hunty
09-06-09, 06:56 PM
Hi Guyz
You all probably know Dave from Wooders - He is a deadset legend well he sorted my problem this afternoon it goes like this.
Whilst I was in the USA earlier this year I got what I thought was a bargain ;$500.00 for a 4inch lift kit inc springs shocks drop brackets brake relocation brackets and a drop pitman arm (for a left hand drive lol) so I got the bits installed by a pro except for the left hand drive drop pitman arm - (because it wouldn't fit) the problem was simple for Dave "remove the drop bracket from the Panhard bar" thus realigning the steering arm with the panhard bar and i couldn't be happier the esp and erm don't early and false trigger and the steering wheel doesn't swing wildly as I go over bumpy roads. thanx for advice on tyre pressure - i dropped them down from 37 to 32 what an awesome difference again thanx soooo much
cheers
Hunty