PDA

View Full Version : Menai Mid-week Clean-up Wed.05/08/09

stevet
30-06-09, 05:14 PM
For those wanting to attend;-
Meet - @ Gate No.6 on Heathcote Road Menai,
Time - 10.00a.m,
Bring/Wear decent shoes/boots, gloves, have own recovery gear, at least 1 recovery point front or rear, food/drink of choice, camera/video.
Participation at a Menai clean-up will give you 12 months access rights to use the tracks at Menai on "official" club runs held there.
Further info - Stephen T. Mob. No.0412-707903
**** Attending -- Peter O.
David K.
David G.,
Veronica H.,
Stephen T.

goldeneagle05
02-07-09, 09:25 PM
At this stage have the day off so will be there ;D

NT-Boy
07-07-09, 05:17 PM
I'm putting my hand up for this trip, i'll be having the wed's off!

Stevet, I've only got 31's will that be ok? This will be my firts club trip, so can we take it easy? :D

THANX

David.

sbadman
07-07-09, 05:23 PM
Stevet, I've only got 31's will that be ok? This will be my firts club trip, so can we take it easy? :D
David.

You'll be fine, I've got 30's and don't have a problem with the general tracks and can even make it up a few rock climbs :D

D.K.
31-07-09, 08:53 AM
Should be able to get wednesday off :) :)

NT-Boy
31-07-09, 08:15 PM
I've never been to Menai, so can someone tell me, where is gate 6 is ? Or Just look out for all the JEEPS. ::)

Thnx David G.

stevet
31-07-09, 09:34 PM
David,
If you come from Liverpool side( on Heathcote Rd.), you past St. George Cres. on your left as drive up a rise. About 800m's later you pass a reccessed area to your left. Again about 600m's on your left there is a dirt mound you drive over. It's less then 150m's before you hit the 100k zone. If you come from New Illarwarra Rd end, again the mound is 150m's on your right once you enter the 80k zone. Anyway we will be on CB Ch. 15 or ring my Mob. No. if you have problems....

stevet
31-07-09, 09:44 PM
Gate 6 is off Heathcoat Road, GPS co-ordinates are 33°59'53.26"S 150°59'46.26"E. The sign for Gate No.6 is a bit overgrown & hard to see!

NT-Boy
31-07-09, 10:33 PM
Cool, thanks Stevet. See all you Boys and girls there ;D

sbadman
01-08-09, 08:21 AM
Gate 6 is off Heathcoat Road, GPS co-ordinates are 33°59'53.26"S 150°59'46.26"E. The sign for Gate No.6 is a bit overgrown & hard to see!

Couldn't have said it better myself ;)

stevet
01-08-09, 11:58 AM
Thank's Scott. :) 8)

vhdzine
01-08-09, 08:51 PM
I should be able to make this one.
I am on leave from work...yay!!

Veronica

NT-Boy
02-08-09, 08:04 PM
Found this vid on youtube of a Green XJ at Menai ;D

push the button..... ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjtrTHfZR_g

Steve F
03-08-09, 09:07 PM
That was a while ago, changed a lot since then but still no button ;)

Cheers
Steve

sbadman
03-08-09, 11:13 PM
**** Attending --
Scott B.

I never actually said I was coming Steve :P Unfortunatelly I have to work on Wednesday!

glend
05-08-09, 11:27 PM
How is SteveT and the ZJ?

Steve F
06-08-09, 12:00 AM
They were just getting out there to rescue it around 10:00pm-10:30pm so I wouldn't expect to hear anything for a good few hours yet. Steve is fine though, small cut on his right hand. The ZJ is not so good though, Steve called me around 10:00 and is expecting it to be a right off.

Cheers
Steve

sbadman
06-08-09, 04:27 AM
Currently at mudflats waiting for Wolfe and Jenko to catch up. ZJ is on its wheels being towed by myself. To add extra spice to the mix Jenko's KJ has lost all front drive!

sbadman
06-08-09, 06:08 AM
Back on Heathcoat Road watching the ZJ being loaded on the tilt tray. All safe with no further incident!

AussieCJ7
06-08-09, 08:40 AM
got home at 7am and dumped my recovery gear in the garage and had a long hot shower

Recovery went well we just took it slow and easy. I will put some lessons from last night when I am thinking more straight but few to start with

1. even if you dont own a winch a full recovery kit is a worthwhile investment because you can never have too much gear on nights like tonight. More gear means more options in how you can make a safe recovery

2. there is a reason warn have been the winch of choice we had 2 brands out there tonight and the warn showed why they are king

3. its a team sport by working together recoverys are fun

4. a few handheld radios makes giving instructions clearer and easier on the voice

Big congratulations to everyone who went last night. Scott drove amazing unlocked on less aggressive tyres at street presures and towed steves jeep all the way out with only need for a 3 car pull on the worst set of steps. Great work. Jenko drove very well under some hard situations

wolfe was the team recovery truck running up and down helping everyone else

Dave and I were winch b@#$ running the rcovery gear between al the jeeps

2 winching session and 1 3 car tow and lost count of the number of snatch pulls

time for few hours sleep

Steve F
06-08-09, 08:49 AM
Nice one guys, was wondering how it was all going around 4:30 this morning, looks like a long one but sounds like it all went well.

It's times like this thast you really appreciate being in a club with a bunch of guys ready to drop everything and lend a hand. Just wish I could have got out there to help but sometimes work wont wait.

Cheers
Steve

Maggie
06-08-09, 08:50 AM
A huge bouquet to Scott B, Dave E, Wolfie and Jenko for their efforts to help out Steve T.

When it was announced at the meeting that Steve had had a bit of trouble, there was no hesitation in mounting a rescue mission and they started organizing themselves.

Makes me very proud to be a member of this Club.

Maggie.

casey
06-08-09, 09:13 AM
sounds like SteveT had a bit of an adventure... glad everyone got out safely :)

jeepthing
06-08-09, 09:44 AM
Sooooo...... what happened?

goldeneagle05
06-08-09, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the trip Steve it was a great day till the rollover and the way we stuck together shows it is such a good club. I would have to rate u as one of the best trip leaders I have been out with. Hope all goes well with the wife and the insurance. I would say all on the trip hold u in high esteam as an experienced 4wder, see u on the tracks soon.
Peter.

Hoppy
06-08-09, 10:06 AM
Hi Guys,

Shocked to hear of the rollover & glad to hear Steve is Ok.

Hope all goes well with the insurance.

We didn't make it to the meeting last night as Ken is in Macay for the month.

Cheers,

Cindy

TRBN8R
06-08-09, 10:11 AM
Hi Steve

Sorry to hear what happened. Great to hear that u r safe and back home. Good to know that the club acts like marines "never leave a man behind". Good work everybody. Got to know yesterday when I finished work about 2230 hrs that something went wrong on the trip.

Makes me proud to be the member of such a closeknit group.

Hope to see your jeep back in action soon.

Cheers
Mani

Wolfe
06-08-09, 10:34 AM
9.30 just woke up, tired, got to go back sleep before back to work. Well done everyone, good recovery. hope every thing goes smoothly with insurance Steve.

Photos Dave?, Scott?

Maggie
06-08-09, 10:35 AM
9.30 just woke up, tired, got to go back sleep before back to work. Well done everyone, good recovery. hope every thing goes smoothly with insurance Steve.

Photos Dave?, Scott?

Trip report Wolfie??

D.K.
06-08-09, 01:24 PM
Steve is insured with GIO for off-road use so i doubt there'll be any dramas.
Ive got a couple of pics of the ZJ having a nap if Steve is happy about it being posted.

Cheers
Dave

Jaffas
06-08-09, 05:19 PM
Good to hear it all went well. glad you are OK Steve.
Big wrap to all the guys that went to help, big effort. Wished I could have been there as well. (but at least my Jeep is now fixed so I can be on some trips!)

stevet
06-08-09, 07:59 PM
Hi Folk's ::),
Thank you, what can I say to you all for the selfless help given to me without second thought of themselves during the actual run and later with the Mid Night Rescue Crew, which blew me me away even more...Thank you. I feel humbled and so proud to part of such a club 8) 8) 8) :). Thank you again for your time, patience, help, skill, labour, encouragement, humour and the amazing lengths everyone went to, to help me out when I needed it.......

NT-Boy
06-08-09, 09:28 PM
Good to here that the guys went out last nite to help Stevet get his jeep back. Its things like this that really show what a good club is about! Yesterday was my first club trip and what a trip i was! Steve was a great trip leader/ spotter/ tour guide :) Menai is a great place to wheel, it had everything there! Cant wait to go out with you Stevet again, when you are ready, me and you, on Prado steps ;)

David G.

Cpage66
06-08-09, 10:01 PM
Thank you, what can I say to you all for the selfless help given to me without second thought of themselves during the actual run and later with the Mid Night Rescue Crew, which blew me me away even more...Thank you. I feel humbled and so proud to part of such a club 8) 8) 8) :). Thank you again for your time, patience, help, skill, labour, encouragement, humour and the amazing lengths everyone went to, to help me out when I needed it.......

Glad to hear that you are okay...and a big "CHEERS" to everyone who helped get the Grand recovered for Steve!

glend
06-08-09, 10:21 PM
Steve its great to hear that your ok, and well done to the SJC Tactical Response Team! ;D

vhdzine
07-08-09, 12:37 AM
Hi guys,

Pics of the daily run posted in my gallery. I do not have any pics of Steve rollover....DK I will leave this to you to post as I didnt take any shots of this.

Thanks to the guys for an eventful day out.... :o

Cheers V

http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2218&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=9540b7d506b5c9a58a958cfa6cecaf3c (http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/index.php?action=gallery&g2_itemId=2217)

Flatfender
07-08-09, 09:09 AM
Only just caught up with news of Wednesday's happenings.
Wow - what a day (and night). Sounds like a great team effort and good to hear that Steve is OK.
Bent metal can always be repaired or replaced and in the meantime there is a spare seat for you in the flatfender any time you need it Steve.
Cheers
Ian W.

Heidi
07-08-09, 10:29 AM
From past experience I would suggest not posting any pictures of the car rolled over till after the insurance have paid

sbadman
07-08-09, 11:44 AM
I'm finally in a position to post after having a good nights sleep. I don't even remember going to bed last night!

When Bear asked if I'd heard the news at the meeting the last thing I expected to hear was that Steve's car had been rolled! When Wolfe asked if I would be in for a night recover I said sure. At the time I wasn't sure how much help I could be as I don't have a winch. Jenko put his hand up to be the third vehicle and second winch, and with the two Dave's volunteering as co-pilots we had a team assembled.

Steve F got Steve T on the phone and informed him of the intended night recovery, and I got his address after being nominated to pick him up as I had to go back home first anyway to pick up my recovery hitch. We met up with Jenko and Dave G at 7/11 before heading down to meet up with Wolfe and Dave E at Gate 6.

Getting to Steve's Jeep required going down Track 8, a task make a little more challenging than usual due to everyone staying on street pressures. A bit of track building saw me over a particularly tricky bit, however when Jenko was trying it was noticed that there was no drive to his front wheels. A quick snatch saw him up, Wolfe drove straight up and we continued on. Another bit saw Jenko's back wheel a metre in the air spinning helplessly due to the lack of front drive. Four blokes pushing saw him through though!

Eventually we got to Steve's Jeep where it was looking fast asleep, if not battered and bruised! I drove around it to act as an anchor to prevent it sliding further down the hill, while Wolfe got into position with Dave E setting up numerous straps, extensions, and cables for the winching operation. Dave set everything up just right so that when the winch was pulled in the ZJ was rolled back on to it's wheels without wanting to lie down again.

Due to the oil having exited the engine through the filler cap, Steve wasn't keen on starting the engine. That turned out to be a moot point though, as in the heat of the moment the key had been misplaced, meaning the steering and transmission were locked in place. Eventually it was worked out how to disable the Park lock, however no one thought to simply put the transfer case in neutral until afterwards! The steering lock to a bit more time, but it was eventually defeated also. We all agreed that we would make terrible car theives :)

It was decided that Wolfe would go lead position, I would tow the ZJ with Steve steering, and Jenko would be tail end Charlie. On the first rock climb out Wolfe hooked up to the front of me and a bit of track building to help get Steve up, after which I was able to tow Steve through to the Mudflats.

We stopped to wait for the others to catch up. After unsuccesfuly trying to raise them on the UHF I rang Wolfe to make sure everything was ok. They were still working on getting Jenko up the climb that had required the 3 car pull. Being too cold to simply stand around the cars Steve and I unhooked the ZJ and headed back to see if they needed any help. As we arrived they were just getting Jenko over the crest of the climb with Wolfe winching. With the winch stowed we turned around and headed back to the Mudflats. Apart from Jenko needing a quick snatch up a short but stepped climb we got back to the Mudflats and hooked up the ZJ again.

It was mostly downhill from here. Terrain I mean! At one point however around a sharper corner the rope slacked off and wrapped itself around Steve's front axle. We managed to free it and continued on.

Those that know Track 8 will be familiar with the last climb out from the creek bed. I took a wrong line on the first bit and ended up spinning wheels in a rut. A quick spot by Steve from behind me to a different line and we had forward progress again. Doing this climb gave me inspiration for a new event category - hill climbs while towing a dead weight! We made it to the clearing at the top, over the mound and across Heathcoat Road to finally park it outside the Rifle Range gate.

We walked back into the clearing and waited for the others. About twenty minutes later Wolfe's car emerged, towing Jenko! Fearing that Jenko had lost all drive it turned out that they had decided it easier to simply leave him hooked up to do the final climb.

Shortly after the tow truck arrived and the others departed. It was coming up to 5:30am by this stage. With the ZJ secured on the tilt tray we loaded Steve's spare tyre carrier into the back and headed back to Blacktown.

My own thanks to Wolfe for helping me up that first climb in the 3 car pull, and Jenko I hope you're engine mounts won't be too costly to repair!

It truely was a team effort, and for those that think 3pm-8pm is a night drive, you ain't done a real night drive! :D

PONYKID
07-08-09, 12:07 PM
Congrats to everyone from SJC for the team work that proves what a great club this is.

Now please, don't do it again!! Waking up at 6.30AM to find I still had no husband in bed beside me gave me the biggest stress attack of my life!!!!!

But seriously, glad you are OK Steve, and everyone got out of this mostly unscathed.

Steve F
07-08-09, 01:06 PM
Congrats to everyone from SJC for the team work that proves what a great club this is.

Now please, don't do it again!! Waking up at 6.30AM to find I still had no husband in bed beside me gave me the biggest stress attack of my life!!!!!

But seriously, glad you are OK Steve, and everyone got out of this mostly unscathed.

I thought you'd be used to Scott missing in action on club trips ;)

Cheers
Steve

SteveC
07-08-09, 05:49 PM
I've only recently joined this wonderful and welcoming club and I know that I've made the right decision based on this tale alone.
Great effort all round and I hope it works out well for you SteveT.
It's support like this that proves jeepers are a great bunch of people.

stevet
07-08-09, 06:15 PM
::) ::) ::) Any pic's yet ::) feel free to post :-[ ::) :)
Located the key. Must have a thing going on to hide in a "Rubi" and not want to come home with me, Bad key ??? ::) ;D...

ACJ
07-08-09, 09:27 PM
great to here you are ok Steve just wish I had of known about the late night recovery as I would have came and helped

Wolfe
07-08-09, 09:45 PM

Why would you be surprised, you are a much loved and respected member of the club, who has gone the extra mile for so many of us in the past that it was automatic to offer help when you needed it. A sign of this respect is that people like ACJ and Wooders had said they would have jumped at the chance to help if they had of known sooner.
Bring on the pics, if there is no need to worry about the insurance.

Cpage66
07-08-09, 10:01 PM

Why would you be surprised, you are a much loved and respected member of the club, who has gone the extra mile for so many of us in the past that it was automatic to offer help when you needed it. A sign of this respect is that people like ACJ and Wooders had said they would have jumped at the chance to help if they had of known sooner.

X2!!!!!!!!!!

sbadman
07-08-09, 11:17 PM

Before I joined the club I would not have had the confidence to go driving deep into bush land in the middle of the night on the kind of tracks Menai dishes up and tow out a disabled vehicle. I believe Steve T's ongoing and voluntary training over the past 6 months was for me instrumental in the night being pulled off as well as it was, and I'm sure the same applies to many other members.

And as was said on the night, we all know you would have done the same for any of us :)

sir_camel
09-08-09, 11:59 PM
Wow just caught up on this. Sorry to hear the news Steve. Prado Hill? Glad you are ok though. Well done to the recovery team too. Readingg this i wish i still had my jeep and could have come and helped out. What a great club the SJC is!

NT-Boy
12-08-09, 10:38 PM
it's a bit late, but i hope you like ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1YpF6HkDII

vhdzine
12-08-09, 10:45 PM
Oh Well Done!!!!

Nicely put together NT-BOY!!!! ;)

V

sbadman
13-08-09, 07:46 AM
I was waiting for Axel Foley to jump out of that clip :D (Beverly Hills Cop 1)

Nice footage!

SteveC
13-08-09, 10:15 AM
Excellent footage!!

NT-Boy
13-08-09, 08:39 PM
Thanks guys, makes me happy that you all liked it ;D but credits go out to V. she was the one driving ;)

goldeneagle05
14-08-09, 11:53 AM
Nice video and well put together, do u do weddings?

jenko
14-08-09, 12:46 PM
Hey Dave & shadman how are the pic's from wednesdays nite going.

sbadman
14-08-09, 01:16 PM
I only got the one pic of the jeep on the tilt tray, unfortunately not a very good one at that. Dave G had the pictures of it sleeping in the middle of the track. Care to share Dave?

NT-Boy
14-08-09, 08:23 PM

Thats funny OLLY, $$$$, LOL.

Your video is coming too,thats when youtube lets me put audio with it, ill post it up!
Only wish there was a way to upload it on to this WEBSIT, so that more people can upload there videos!

casey
15-08-09, 12:56 AM
we dont have the storage capacity to host video, nor the bandwidth to stream it. better off using the sites that are devoted to that kind of thing do it.

anyone can upload stuff to youtube, its not very hard to do.

sbadman
15-08-09, 10:51 AM
On the tilt tray

sir_camel
15-08-09, 11:41 AM
Damn Steve...looks like you did a proper job of it. Hope all gets sorted out without any stress.

Steve F
15-08-09, 12:15 PM

Thats funny OLLY, $$$$, LOL.

Your video is coming too,thats when youtube lets me put audio with it, ill post it up!
Only wish there was a way to upload it on to this WEBSIT, so that more people can upload there videos!

You can just put the youtube link here and it will embed it and play from within the site though so that's an option.

Cheers
Steve

D.K.
15-08-09, 10:13 PM
I have a couple of decent pics of Steve's vehicle by the rock step if he is OK me posting them here. I wont post tho' unless I get a definite answer :)

D.K.
16-08-09, 01:15 PM
Steve gave me a thumbs up so here they are:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u263/xsi_2007/rollover_02.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u263/xsi_2007/rollover_03.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u263/xsi_2007/rollover_01.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u263/xsi_2007/rollover_04.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u263/xsi_2007/rollover_06.jpg

Steve F
16-08-09, 04:14 PM
Ouch.... So Steve any progress with insurance or thoughts on a replacement?

Cheers
Steve

stevet
16-08-09, 04:51 PM
Yes, insurance is paying me out but, but, of course my insurance ran out on the 4th at 12mn so the new policy came into effect with lower insurance level plus entire 12 months premium had to be deducted as well as the excess so return halved ::). Think I may need to save a little before something comes my way :(...

sir_camel
16-08-09, 11:31 PM
Thats lousy luck there Steve on a couple of fronts. I can't work out where it was on the track. In between the creek crossing and Prado Hill?

Wolfe
17-08-09, 11:20 AM
Yes, insurance is paying me out but, but, of course my insurance ran out on the 4th at 12mn so the new policy came into effect with lower insurance level plus entire 12 months premium had to be deducted as well as the excess so return halved ::). Think I may need to save a little before something comes my way :(...

so hows that work? Will they refund the difference of your premium if you don't have a car to insure? Will the insurance go onto the next vehicle?

AussieCJ7
20-08-09, 03:09 PM
Steve could be worth going and checking this out ? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200373415410&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Seems like a dodgy car yard but if you get it for the right price and can move over some of your old parts could be an option only thing is you need to go look at it tooday or tomorrow auction ends in 1 day

stevet
20-08-09, 09:15 PM
Posted a bid, currently highest bidder :-X

AussieCJ7
20-08-09, 10:25 PM
Cool I hope no one else is interested then ::) just beware to read the terms and conditions there is a buyers premium of $395 so add $400 to what ever you bid

Cpage66
21-08-09, 12:19 AM
Posted a bid, currently highest bidder :-X

Good stuff! And good luck!

azasjeep
21-08-09, 11:18 AM
Give it a real good going over, went to that yard to look at a bronco for JB about a year ago everything in the yard was rubbish and rough as guts.

KJ_Ash
21-08-09, 07:08 PM
That'll buff out Steve ;D

Glad to hear you're ok.

Wolfe
21-08-09, 09:32 PM
so did you win the jeep steve ?

stevet
21-08-09, 09:50 PM
No. Jeepless still :'(....
Any Jeep fairies out there ??? ::) :)

azasjeep
22-08-09, 02:55 PM
I gotta nice tj you can buy ;D

stevet
22-08-09, 03:09 PM
Would need a bloody big fairy indeed at the moment ::) :)

NT-Boy
23-08-09, 08:31 PM
One more video, this one has on sound track, but its got good flexing shoots, Hope you like :)

OLLY and D.K. TJ's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JZZ6i3ykbY

vhdzine
23-08-09, 08:41 PM
Very cheeky comment in there NT-Boy on dont worry she has a JK..... ;D

Some really nice flex shots in there!!!

Nicely captured!

V

goldeneagle05
24-08-09, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the video its nice to see your car on video its a different angle from behind the wheel and good to see how all that money spent actually works, Thanks again. Peter

D.K.
24-08-09, 10:49 PM
Thanks again NT Boy!
I still cant figure why the TJ fared so badly on the mud slope. :o At the time it felt like I wasnt getting drive to the front wheels. Probably having the teralow gearing and not using a higher gear was the problem.

Cheers

Dave

NT-Boy
25-08-09, 05:18 PM
D.K. now i know where you got your rig from, it just hit me when you said "teralow" Mate you've got your self a crazy TJ. :o

sbadman
03-09-09, 10:35 AM
Just uploaded pictures from the night recovery. Thanks to Dave Grime for taking on the roll of photographer

http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/index.php?action=gallery&g2_itemId=3388

jenko
03-09-09, 11:44 AM
Top pic's Dave have you thought about being the clubs paparazzo ;) :D