PDA

View Full Version : jeep cherokee 96 electrical fault

william scale
20-07-09, 05:30 AM
So i have recently got myself a jeep cherokee grand limited 6cl 4.0L 96 mod, really nice looking and comfy car. though i only use it on weekends, if i leave the car sitting in the garage and dont start her up atleast once a day i find that the battery dies on me, is this normal with this model ? im thinking that its not. though im not getting any fault codes or lights flashing on my dash to let me know that there is a fault, so as far as the car knows its all ok. what is a fast and easy way to find a possible short or battery power leak problem in my car. i also have been on the look out for a good jeep mechanic in my area and have not had any luck, i live in the wetherill park NSW sydney area and would be very happy to find one close to me.

sbadman
20-07-09, 06:29 AM
How old's the battery? My bet is it's dying and due for replacement, especially being winter which is tougher on a wet cell automotive battery.

TRBN8R
20-07-09, 06:35 AM
Hi William
Looks like ur battery is about to die.If u have nrma get them to check the battery. I think it should be about $155 fir a new battery with 2 years warranty. Also battery world at Richmond rd Blacktown is having a sale try there as well. If u r free on Sunday 26th come with us for some fun at menai.

Cheers
Mani The TRBN8R

Bear
20-07-09, 07:13 AM
The closest Jeep mechanic I can think of for your area would be Mick Collins at ARB Great Western Hwy Wentworthville

Bear

Hoppy
20-07-09, 08:23 AM
Hi William,

Take your jeep for a drive, then park it and disconnect the battery. recon in a couple of days and see if it will turn over. if not you've a dud battery. Another trick is to start the motor, turn on your headlights and rev the motor. if the lights get brighter when you rev it Batt on the way out. Go to Supercheap and get your self an hygrometer? (I think that's right) under $20 and you can check the batt yourself

william scale
25-07-09, 05:46 AM
ok well thanks for all your help, though everyone has said that i might have a faulty battery. i have changed the battery some weeks back thinking it might be that, but the problem is still there. some more info about the problem is that when i do leave the car sitting for about two days and the battery is running out i can hear a faint ticking sound maybe more like a chattering sound coming from the dash, is this a common thing on the car when the battery is low, or might it be the actual fault. to tell you the truth i have just finished rebuilding the rear diff, and i have taken it for a drive only to find that none of the turn signals work not even the hazards work, i had a look at the fuse all ok , i had a look at all the globs all ok the only thing i have to look at now is the relay, is this car made this way? i mean to have so many problems lol.

glend
25-07-09, 11:54 AM
It sounds like the alternator may not be charging the battery and your output has gotten to low to work the signal relay. Do you have a multimetre or a battery tester (the ones with the different coloured lights on it)? Check the voltage across the battery with the engine running. If your not seeing 13.5 - 14volts your alternator is probably gone (or the belt is broken or slipping).

TRBN8R
25-07-09, 03:51 PM
Hi William

I had a 99 Cherokee XJ for 6 years and it did not have any such problems. It might be the alternator or something i came across. When i was about to sell it i took the amp and the boombox out of the boot. While disconnecting the amp i accidentally taped two wires in a way that they were leaking a small amount of current. i had similiar problem as you are describing. If you have tempered with the electricals recently try looking into all the connections again. Itg might help.

Cheers
Mani

william scale
26-07-09, 06:19 AM
ok so i have had a real hard look at where the relay for the turn signal is and i cant find it, i have all the books one could have for this car and they are not muchh help when it comes to this does anyone know where to find it ? the book tells me it might be behind my glove box though i did not find it, i looked behind the driver dash and its not there as well, i can see some relays in the main fuse box under bonnet though they are not marked to let me know what is what and i have also looked at the fuse box in the driver side kick pannel as well though none of the relays are marked there as well, does anyone know where it is so i can get a chance to test it .

Hunno
17-08-09, 06:06 PM
Sounds more like a blown diode in the alternator it will charge almost like normal. however it will back feed through the alternator winds & discharge you battery over several hours. Its happened to on two different cars in the last 15 years

Viperchick
02-04-10, 04:14 PM
Hi, I've got the same model and it's been problem after problem (now the electrical ones are starting!!!).

My mechanic is in Minto and he's fantastic. His name is John and his number is 0424 930 223 and that's close to Wetherill Park.

Good luck!