PDA

View Full Version : What's the best Dual Battery solution for TJ Wrangler?

Hunter
16-11-04, 01:16 PM
I am thinking about install the 2nd battery in my TJ, any one have good solution to share? Like what brand battery, which isolater, how to wire them out etc, I am a absolute newbie in this field. :|

chrispy
16-11-04, 02:15 PM
Hunter

I've used the Piranha DB-150S solid-state isolater on my vehicles with great success. It's totally automatic, and because it doesn't rely on you remembering to "switch" something over to charge the second battery (after your cranking batteryis fully charged) it's fool-proof.

It's very easy to install. One thick cable (labelled appropriately) goes to your cranking battery's positive terminal, the other cable goes to your secondary's positive. Two smaller wires go to both ground and a positive source somewhere (such as a spade connector on your wiper motor that's always energised).

The secondary battery is usually a deep-cycle affair (as opposed to a cranking battery like you car's main battery now) so that you can run fridges and lights off it all night and it won't mind being flattened.

Next day, when you start the car, the DB-150S will check to see if your cranking battery is up to charge, and if it isn't - it will chage that one first. If it is, it will then start to charge the deep-cycle for you until it's charged fully.

Simplicity itself.

Wooders
16-11-04, 05:38 PM
Once I've got the locations sorted I'll probably go Piranha isolator with a second Optima yellow top.....

Jaffas
16-11-04, 08:49 PM
Can someone explain to me the difference between red yellow and rainbow coloured Optimas??? Is it as simple as one is a cranking, one is deep cycle? or does it go further than that??? or is it a marketing thing???

Hunter
16-11-04, 09:00 PM
Thank u so much for ur detailed explain. Where do u put ur 2nd battery? I think it's much more easier in ur car :(

I plan to put it in the cabin, maybe even with a removable case & connecter, cause I don't really want to carry the 2nd battery all the time. But this will affect the wiring of the CB & other things that use the 2nd battery. :x

I think I have to make a proper case to mount the 2nd battery permanently somethere at the back.

Hunter
16-11-04, 09:04 PM
Once I've got the locations sorted I'll probably go Piranha isolator with a second Optima yellow top.....

Is the Optima really that good? I mean does it really worth it's over $300 price? And why not go for a blue one instead of yellow?

chrispy
16-11-04, 09:27 PM
Where do u put ur 2nd battery? I think it's much more easier in ur car

hehe... room? You obviously haven't seen under the bonnet of a Grand Cherokee CRD (TurboDiesel). There isn't room for even an extra fuse box. I'm thinking of putting my second battery inside the covered cavity for the winch in my ARB bullbar.

Wooders
16-11-04, 11:55 PM
Red or yellow or blue - imho the optima or gel cell batteies have a few good features - and with the yella or blue the full discharge without ruining the battery is a good start.....
Also not fluid to leak if you go greasy side up....
also means you can mount it differently - eg on it's side.
etc....more $$$ but darn good batteries ;)

As for mounting I'm playing about with my Kilby tray - but tis a tght fit....and I want to relocate fom other bits first...

Hunter
19-11-04, 12:03 PM

As for mounting I'm playing about with my Kilby tray - but tis a tght fit....and I want to relocate fom other bits first...

But for it's over $300 price + $290 Piranha + all the time for installation & wiring stuff I'd go for power generator + jerry can solution, what do u guys think? :?

Wooders
19-11-04, 01:38 PM
Hmmm petrol driven winch :twisted:
Nah I'll still go batteries - I doesn't like generators....

chrispy
19-11-04, 01:42 PM
Nah I'll still go batteries - I doesn't like generators....

... and neither do people who have to camp near you.......

Generators are actually illegal in some areas - like national parks and some reserves. There's a reason - they are noisy (even the quiet ones like Honda) - especially the cheap and nasty Bunnings $100 two-stroke ones. they also put out lots of nasty crap into the air. Carrying the jerry is a pain (and dangerous) and most generators (again - especially the cheapies) use two-stroke fuel that puts out lovely plumes of blue smoke.

Nice...

Hunter
19-11-04, 08:37 PM
fail enough, thanks a lot guys.
Will back to the battery+isolator market :roll: