PDA

View Full Version : Wiring in a touch screen display

JK_Dolf
18-08-09, 06:44 PM
A mate of mine has asked for a hand in wiring in the power supply to a new touchscreen display he wants mounted in his vehicle. Having seen very simmilar set ups on other members vehicles, I thought I'd ask the question.

How is it done? Obviously the earth is run to the nearest ground, but where did you pull power from? Was it simply a case of hooking in to something linked to "accessory", or is there going to be more to it? Did you run it through the fusebox, or install an inline fuse?

I've installed UHF radios before without any worries, but I guess being a monitor, since it doesn't appear to have an inline fuse, and the fact it isn't mine has be a little worried.

Any advice welcome!

SteveC
18-08-09, 07:32 PM
Hello. I have a 7" touch screen which I use in conjuction with rear view camera and onboard PC
They draw very little power (well at least mine does) Check the manual. You should have no problem piggy backing off an accessory such as the ciggy lighter. As a matter of fact mine had a ciggy lighter plug which I cut off and then hard wired to the back of it to make it hidden and semi permanent. I would advise a small fuse in line with the positive. Had no problem for over 2 years now.