PDA

View Full Version : I is broke it again... uni in front axle XJ

Jaffas
18-08-09, 08:37 PM
Well, after finally getting the Heap fixed (front driveshaft and T-case linkages), I took it to the snow last week just in case the roads were snowed in, but no need for 4wd, was all good. Got home safe, but then it started making funny noises again... sigh..

anyhow, had a look underneath and seems the driver's side front wheel, the uni on the end of the axle is look very sad. I have spare cross pieces for the uni, but my question is, does the whole axle have to come out to change it?... and if so, does that mean taking apart the front diff to get the axles out?

reason is I don't want to drive it all the way to Syd to my regular mechanic (100km might just flog it beyone death and require new axle or something), so need to know what to tell the bloke I take it too down here in Wollongong... well, I gotta find someone to take it too...

GRRR... >:( >:(

Steve F
18-08-09, 09:25 PM
The axle in the front just pulls out as the hub holds it in, just take the braker caliper off, remove the 3 bolts holding the hub on and you can pull long and short axle together and replace the cross piece. Reminds me I need to do mine.

Cheers
Steve