PDA

View Full Version : Suspension lift and extended sway bar disconnects

TRBN8R
03-09-09, 11:16 PM
Hi all
I am getting a 2 inch lift put in my 4 door jk on Monday ;D ;D. Just want to know if someone had any dramas with the standard sway bar links. I want to only put in extended sway bar disconnects if it is absolutely necessary.
I will appreciate any guidance on this subject.

Cheers
Mani

sbadman
04-09-09, 06:37 AM
CraigB inverted and bent his on the Lake Lyle trip, but I believe he was running 4.5+ inches of lift. Best way to avoid damage is to remove them when you go off road, which will give you better articulation anyway. On road they're unlikely to be a problem.

This is what I do, and I'm using standard links in my XJ.

Bear
04-09-09, 06:55 AM
Mani
You have seen my Rubicon in action I have a 2" lift. All that was done was replace the existing springs with longer ones and replace the shocks with longer fatter ones.

Bear.

TRBN8R
04-09-09, 07:30 AM
Hi guys

Thanks for the guidance. Hey bear I am getting the same lift from Marcus as you have. Hope it will reduce my belly dragging on the tracks. Marcus reckons that with the stock plastic bumpers it might give me a bit more than expected lift.

Cheers
Mani

Dave
05-09-09, 04:23 PM
By the by, I had the OME suspension (3 years old - coils and shocks only) in my KJ replaced by Marcus yesterday! Improvement noticed already! The TJM is a stiffer spring, and the Jeep is sitting 1cm higher front and back than it was on the OME. I have less nose dive under braking, and it doesn't bounce so much / so many times when going over speed humps. Also the groan I was getting from the old front end is gone! I reckon you will be happy with the TJM!

Looking forward to getting off road and seeing how they go. Bring on October.

Dave

TRBN8R
07-09-09, 09:49 PM
Hi all ;D ;D ;D
Just an update got my lift installed today. It appears way more than 2 inches probAbly close to 3.5 inches. Driving around found great deal of improvement in on road handling it suddenly stopped bouncing around when I hit the bumps. Fqctory suspension felt like crap as compared to this TJM one i just got. Best investment. I recommend it to everyone driving a stock suspension.

Cheers
Mani

TRBN8R
08-09-09, 12:24 PM
Hi
Just took the hard top off and put the soft top on and I reckon the tail end lifted up about half
An inch more. Checked the rear axle and it looked like it is moved towards the passenger side by an inch. Hope these springs settle down a little bit or I have to buy an adjustae rear track bar to bring the axle back into the centre.

Cheers
Mani

CraigB
10-09-09, 06:09 PM
Howdy Mani,
What Scott says is totally right regarding the swaybar linkages. One thing I found with the lift is the electronics start going haywire too. BAS/ESP lights come on and go off for no reason. Once I had the extended linkages in place and had another alignment done, the whole thing settled right back and the swaybar just settles into this perfect 'plane' position. I noticed the difference as soon as I was on the road too.

The mainstream nominal '2-inch' suspension lifts are actually closer to 4". So, to be honest, I would recommend investing in the JKS 2"-6" extended swaybar disconnects. They can be set to suit your lift perfectly and when you compare them to the stock linkages, you wont be disappointed. Wooders has them.

I'm not familiar enough with the lift-kit you do have, but you may want to ask the fitter if it is set to carry weight - you posted your tail end raising when removing the hardtop. You will find that this feature will settle down once your springs loosen up a bit and the shocks start getting used off-road, but more predominantly, once you fit bar-work and other body armour around your vehicle and carry additional loaded weight - like water, extra fuel, mandatory recovery gear, camping/survival equipment etc, thats when the springs and shocks will start to get the workout they are designed for, both on and off-road.

CraigB

TRBN8R
11-09-09, 07:29 AM
Been driving around and the ride in the jeep feels more European than American. Got a good test coming over this weekend at my walker and next weekend at ourimbah. Looking forward to some fun. The spring have settled down a bit I think they will be alright by next weekend. Hey Markus thanks for the deal on the lift need some good tyres now and lockers and bumpers and rock rails and winch and..................

Cheers
Mani