PDA

View Full Version : Transmition questions on a 09 wrangler

kinglearsi
05-09-09, 09:10 PM
Hi, Im looking at buying a new 09 Wrangler sport with the Renegade package, my question is the old one about manual vs automatic and which one has the best resale value. The dealer is pushing hard to get me into the automatic, I suspect its because the manual is 6 weeks away and he wants the sale now. It would seem that the r/h drive comes standard with auto and that not many are made with the 6sp manual. Would that make them (the manual) worth more later?

Im interested in opinions on the matter...

Thanks

Cpage66
05-09-09, 10:59 PM
I was looking around to possibly upgrade to a new JK last month and looked at quite a few dealers all over Australia. Just about every dealer in WA had nothing BUT manuals so I don't know about the "rarity" of a 6 speed.
And right now, if I had my choice, it would be a manual JK over an auto...

TRBN8R
05-09-09, 11:06 PM
Hi mate
I just read in the newspaper today they r selling v6 petrol wrangler 2 door sport manual renegade pack for 35000 drive away. Try a couple of dealers and you will find manual tranny ready in stock.

Cheers
Mani

TRBN8R
05-09-09, 11:17 PM
Forgot to add ring Penrith Jeep and talk to Guy Oakes. He will give u correct info.

Cheers

stevet
06-09-09, 12:37 PM
If you suffer from ELLS disease ??? ( Epileptic Left Leg Syndrome ::) ;D ) well a manuals your choice to ease the pain :P. Prefer an auto, no stalling, crawls just as well as a manual, but you can not clutch start if neccessary but thats why we have jumper cables, Jeep clubs, NRMA etc. Easier to drive in daily commute if it's youre daily transport as well and use it off road the minority of the time......
Auto's usually add cost to the basic price?? more commission for more expensive sale??, wanting to clear current or floor stock at hand before newer plated one's arrive ??? Not in the car sales games so will come down to your own personal choice in driveline. I'm just dreaming of getting either(auto) ::) in my next life :) ;D

kinglearsi
06-09-09, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys that cleared it up for me...... I would love some input on getting the Diesel over the Petrol, (sometimes I wish there wasn't so much choice)

Cheers

TRBN8R
08-09-09, 12:15 PM
Hi mate
If u can afford the initial cost difference go from a diesel. I have a 08 unlimited petrol auto my biggest regret is not buying a diesel. The petrol engine in the new wrangler lacks the low end grunt the diesel has. But I ran out of money so and to settle for a petrol. Diesel will give u better fuel economy than petrol plus also give u loads of low end torque.

Cheers
Mani

CraigB
10-09-09, 06:28 PM
Hi,
Everything I read for months about the JK pointed consistently at AUTO. I was for years 'mr. manual diesel'. For good reason too. the main being the fuel economy and absolute hands-down low end torque. So my question when dealing with the dealer was why isn't there a diesel Rubicon?

So, off-the record answers:

1. The new auto-boxes are simply better than they have ever been. It should be noted here too, that the 'Wrangler-Unlimited', J8 military version is Diesel Auto.
2. The petrol-manual wont be produced for much longer, neither will the diesel manual, but those options and spares etc will be around for a long time.
3. New petrol motors will allow the simple removal of the V6 and re-insertion of a new whatever, such as a Hemi V8. This conversion can be done now (I wish too - Hemi V8 is actually spelt D-I-V-O-R-C-E).

If Diesel is your thing, the JK model that scored the highest accolades amongst it's bretheren is actually the Unlimited Auto Diesel Renegade, with the factory set 'off-road' option (electronic swaybar disconnect and locking differentials).

On the negative side of diesel JK v petrol JK, aftermarket playing around, like suspension lifts, unless you can do them yourself, are a bit more expensive. Then there is the basic element cost - check your driveaway cost between the two and add aftermarket gear to the less expensive model, to the equivalent difference in raw cost. You might be surprised.

So 'mr. manual-diesel' has become 'mr. auto-petrol', now where did I see those 4.88:1 gear ratio's again........

CraigB

Cpage66
10-09-09, 06:58 PM
Until they get that worldwide problem with the auto trans dipstick fixed and that fix retro fitted for every one already out there, manual it is...

CraigB
10-09-09, 08:28 PM
That is also true '66, however, a new vehicle model has NEVER left a production line without any fix needed. I've just said how it is at the moment - only time will tell how this model goes. Much derided earlier Jeep models are now becoming sort after. Good example was when the TJ turned up with round springs - supposedly a heresy at the time - and now?

CRB

Cpage66
10-09-09, 08:33 PM
What new model? The JK has been out for quite a few years now and they are still burning down now as they did back in '07 all over the world. The problem has been identified and the factory recall for the auto/petrol has not been forthcoming as of yet.
I still cannot recommend an auto if someone asked me due to just this...and until they are all fixed, it's a manual recommendation.

CraigB
11-09-09, 07:40 PM
On line convo doesn't convey voice inflection, posture or facial expression - so you know I'm not arguing - this type of convo is 'robotic' (?),

What I mean is this: To all intents and purposes, the JK Wrangler is a new model vehicle. It explores new boundaries and aims at a new market - and is not perfect. Fact is it cannot be. It is exactly the same in this regard as every other Jeep model vehicle before it and the model which will come after it - The Jeep Hurricane - I so WANT one of those!...

My vote, 21stC = auto...
:-*
CRB

Cpage66
11-09-09, 09:18 PM
Point taken...but until Jeep admits the actual problem and fixes it and just continues to let it it slide with the potential for failure that will kill you in a most unexpected and horrible way, the manual is what I will recommend to anyone at this point in that model. This is a known worldwide problem with quite a few instances here in OZ.
Just three weeks ago the NHTSA in the US has started pressing for an investigation of the Jeep JK automatic due to reports of a few instances of fires in China. That's what's got a large number of people around the globe upset, if Chrysler aren't even reporting these faults correctly, how can it be properly investigated?
I'm pretty sure the Jeep wagon my grandfather was in the market for in 1950 is pretty much for the same reasons and purposes I bought mine in 2003. Sure the technology has changed, but if the safety factor is actually worse in regards to reliability now than it was then, at what cost have these new boundaries cost us?
If you can't actually take your Jeep off road because it might burn you and your family up solely because it was a poorly designed automatic (and Jeep has been putting automatics in for close to 50 years now) where does that leave us? And I don't want it to be perfect...I would expect to get hurt in an accident, but not random combustion because some engineer designed a faulty dipstick.

TRBN8R
12-09-09, 03:57 AM
Hi Mate
Hope we all have confused u enough. Now it's ur call. With manual some times u have to be driving on the knife's edge just to maintain enough clutch slip that u don't stall the engine but at the same time u don't jump off the rocks very fast and that was very difficult for me. So auto is an idiot proof tranny but if u r good at maintaining enough clutch contact go for the manual.
I think it comes down to personal preferances. Yes they have been burning down but it's happened only on sand and I reckon due to drivers not disengaging the ESC thingy and overheating the tranny.

Cheers
Mani

CraigB
12-09-09, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I have to confess burning to death in my Wrangler isn't high on my priority list at the moment - but thats why we can have them open topped too, or practice 'abandon-Jeep' drill through the quick internal removal of the driver compartment hardtop...yakes!

No car manufacturer is going to admit a fault to fix anything until that 'thing' reaches a critical or crisis-point level, by proportion of sales. An exact example of this is Nissan Patrols 3L engine. Until an incredible level of reported instances of the motor blowing itself apart under certain common conditions was achieved (ie a crisis-level of fault), NO WAY would they admit to any liability. Once it got there, well, thats ongoing isn't it? Then of course the 'Cruiser 200 leaks oil worse than a Tiger I tank - but that problem hasn't reached critical mass yet either.

Unfortunately (or is that fortunately), not enough burning Wranglers yet, to cause a move by Jeep. Maybe because potential customers are already aware of the problem and have decided on a manual, or a Diesel, or some just got an aftermarket fix out of their own pocket.

It's interesting though.

CRB

Wooders
16-09-09, 08:35 AM
If I was after a JK, I'd be shopping Petrol Auto.........For "nromal driving I'd pick a manual - but due to the lack of bottomend grunt in the V6 I think the auto is a better option.

CraigB
16-09-09, 06:57 PM
When you consider the torque element as the only element of vehicle (transmission-type) to vehicle comparison, then the overall comparison is flawed.
The auto-Diesel has greater potential Nm of torque (460) than the manual (410). Both the petrol transmissions from stock go for 315Nm. Thats more than ample for 90% or more of applications. Additionally, that 315 can be increased markedly, depending on the users preference and fuel economy and added power - if you want it - can also be worked up. It just depends on what you want the vehicle for.
The self-combusting thing can be alleviated with a tranny-cooling system and always switching off the ESP when in 4WD high range. It becomes as second nature as selecting 4WDHR anyway. Although, sometimes it (the ESP) still kicks in. Thats when you go for Low Range.

Ok, so how many votes is that so far? Auto-Petrol? Auto-Diesel? Manual-Petrol? Manual Diesel?

One of each would be nice... :-*

reyzor
19-09-09, 03:22 PM
is auto Rubi an option to choose from??

CraigB
19-09-09, 06:42 PM
'07-'08 spec Rubicon was optioned auto/manual. I think now they are auto, with manual option '09. It's probable they will be auto '10. They are also hard to get for a while, if your'e colour/interior selective. The market glut is in sport manual-petrol. One Sydney dealer is waiting on 20 vehicles, (paid for) at the moment. I'll bet those 20 customers are really waiting...also, Wrangler Rubicon spec may simply become standard '10 models onwards, if the range maintains it's current growth.

CRB

rupicon
22-09-09, 08:43 PM
I have an auto xj and auto tj so when we got our jk i went for manual
its the soccer mums car and she was not happy about going from auto to manual so i said keep driving the xj and i will have the new one' shes getting the hang of the manual :'(

I wanted a black rubi unlimited manual so thats what I got ;D

autos are great for going up steep hard tracks but not so good going back down good for running biger rubber on stock gearing to' if your going to spend money on gearing go for a manual

ps my tj shoots auto oil out of the dip stick tube somtimes