PDA

View Full Version : XJ Neutral Safety Switch track fix

sbadman
15-09-09, 08:13 AM
The NSS has been playing up for a while in my XJ, but thus far I haven't got around to fixing it; nudging the T-bar normally gets it kicking over. Well this morning it refused to play ball full stop.

After unsuccessfully trying the trick of shorting the starter terminals, I pulled out the Haynes manual, and worked out a trick.

At the rear of the engine on the drivers side there are three plugs, a 6 pin and two 8 pin, one white one black. The black 8 pin is the plug for the NSS.

Separate the plug, being careful not to damage the waterproof gland. Looking at the loom side with the plug latch at the top the bottom row has three pins, with the blank pin being right most. The center two pins, B & C are the signal for Park and neutral, ie ok to start. An insulated spade lug is just the right width to short the two pins out allowing for starting the engine. The pins will go between the insulation and the lug itself if you're on your own, if you have a second person to operate the key you can use your imagination :)

PONYKID
16-09-09, 12:19 AM
Now you finally know what I have to put up with every time I am in a rush to go somewhere. I don't know why you bothered to get the manual out, I told you the rubber mallet fixes it fine.

AussieCJ7
28-09-09, 11:33 PM
By the time you have done this you could have pulled out the switch and cleaned it and reinstall it is not that big of a job

sbadman
29-09-09, 06:38 AM
By the time you have done this you could have pulled out the switch and cleaned it and reinstall it is not that big of a job

No it's not a big job, and I ended up doing it a couple of weekends ago. But it's not one I'd be keep to do if the jeep was, say, up to the sills in mud :)