PDA

View Full Version : Beginner/easy 4WD tracks near Sydney.

KarleeX
30-09-09, 11:04 AM
Hi there!
I'm new to the forums, and I'm really looking for a good local easy 4WD track.
Something a little wider, and not too difficult.
I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee.
I've been wheeling before on the dunes and beaches at Stockton etc, but nothing in the bush personally.

Can someone give me some advice, or point me in the direction of some good sites, and some info for a beginner :)

I have a navman, some recovery gear etc.

glend
30-09-09, 12:14 PM
Its probably a good idea to go out on those beginner/easy tracks with someone who has some experience so that you learn something each time you go, and it is better to have another vehicle along if you get into trouble. There are some fairly easy state forest type tracks in the Watagans (north of Sydney near Morisett and through to Wollombi), but there are also some difficult tracks there that you should probably avoid. If you come along to an SJC meeting there will be heaps of information from the members attending.

Dave
30-09-09, 12:38 PM
I'll second what Glen said, come along to a meeting (see Calendar), join up, and there will be lots of people to talk to and trips to join.

A couple of us were looking at tracks in Glenbrook National Park recently and are planning day trips there. Also ZigZag up near Lithgow is a pretty nice place to go with tracks of all standards.

Have fun,

Dave.

Hunno
30-09-09, 03:54 PM
Hi,
I'm new to the "Jeep thing" as a lot of people have called it. (Although I have had 4wds for the past to many years).
It sounds like we have the same vehicle & as many people have said in this post & others, come to the next meet in October & join the club. Learn form more experienced drivers.
That's my plain as this is a different car to drive off road than what I have had in the past(I actually care about this one).
I have also had the pleasure of meeting a couple members last weekend & get a good feeling from them. If they any measure to the people in this club I now I will gain a lot more experience & good friends.
Hope to meet you all on 7th October @Wooders Garage.

Chris.

Hunno
30-09-09, 03:59 PM
Wooders Garage is only at Hornsby not far from the Central Coast.

Pete
30-09-09, 10:01 PM
If you live in the central coast then Ourimbah close and is good for people learning, I'm fairly new to 4wding got my jeep just over a yr ago, and i think there is some good parts there for learning.

both photos are from Ourimbah

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/pmckewen/P5170040.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j77/pmckewen/P5170073.jpg

PONYKID
30-09-09, 11:49 PM
Although I encourage going with someone else, as it is not only safer but more fun, there's some easy peasy tracks at Riverstone under the power lines (can't remember the street name but I am sure sbadman will fill in the details) which are good enough to get a bit of dirt on your car, or mud.

There's also the Burralow Trail at Kurrajong Heights which is a bit of fun, even moreso at night. It's not too hardcore though, we even saw a few standard cars at the camping ground halfway, but there's no way I would take MY car down it!

http://www.4x4earth.com.au/4wdtracks/trails/burralow/

KarleeX
01-10-09, 01:58 PM
The meeting sounds good, just a bit embarrassed, that's all, cause I'm a bit of a noob. Hahah.
I'll definitely check some of these out. Thanks a bunch :)

Pete
01-10-09, 09:35 PM
speaking of the meetings, what happens at them?

Maggie
01-10-09, 10:05 PM
In answer to Pete and Karleex .. don't be embarassed at being a newbie, we all had to start somewhere.
You will find the people in this Club are very helpful and knowlegeable. They are also very supportive. The meeting at Wooders next Wednesday includes a BBQ and will be quite informal (as are all our meetings really).

We would love to see you both there .. if you can't make it there, our November meeting will be at Regents Park Bowling Club.
Maggie

CraigB
01-10-09, 10:43 PM
KarleeX and Pete will be there - I haven't been to a meeting yet - going to this one.
CRB

csheehan@westpac.com.au
20-07-12, 04:47 PM
Hi - I've just become a member also. So the above thread is handy because I've never taken my jeep wrangler out on any 4wd expeditions. So christening at Stockton on Sunday.

Also anyone out there have major problems with their windscreen in the jeep wranglers - do you have any solutions to stop the stone chips? New windscreen Tuesday PM and a large stone hit this on Wednesday morning.

Thanks
Catherine

Dieselcon
20-07-12, 06:18 PM
Hi - I've just become a member also. So the above thread is handy because I've never taken my jeep wrangler out on any 4wd expeditions. So christening at Stockton on Sunday.

Also anyone out there have major problems with their windscreen in the jeep wranglers - do you have any solutions to stop the stone chips? New windscreen Tuesday PM and a large stone hit this on Wednesday morning.

Thanks
Catherine

Before you head out to stockton make sure it's open ;)

And the windscreen issues I think is just bad luck.
Cheers
Jose

Wolfe
20-07-12, 06:20 PM

Thanks
Catherine

I'm not sure you can do anything about the stone chips on the wranglers. I could be wrong. I'm not sure anything makes them particularly susceptible to them.

But welcome aboard come along to a meeting and say Hello. Plenty of trips coming up with the lead up to Jambo. So keep an eye out on the trip section. :)

Paul-JK
20-07-12, 08:08 PM
The vertical windscreens are damaged more easily than the more sloping windscreens on most other cars. I had about a dozen small chips on my windscreen that I'd picked up over about 2 years before I got one that was worth worrying about and was in direct line of sight. Had the windscreen changed about 2 months ago but I must have another 2 or 3 small chips in it already. Apparently they'll fix the chips if there are only one or two but anything more than that and they just replace the screen. If I got them fixed every time I got one though I'd spend more time at the windscreen place than I do at home.

Best advice I can give is get windscreen cover on your insurance then you one "free" replacement screen every year.

Wolfe
20-07-12, 09:25 PM
The vertical windscreens are damaged more easily than the more sloping windscreens on most other cars. I had about a dozen small chips on my windscreen that I'd picked up over about 2 years before I got one that was worth worrying about and was in direct line of sight. Had the windscreen changed about 2 months ago but I must have another 2 or 3 small chips in it already. Apparently they'll fix the chips if there are only one or two but anything more than that and they just replace the screen. If I got them fixed every time I got one though I'd spend more time at the windscreen place than I do at home.

Best advice I can give is get windscreen cover on your insurance then you one "free" replacement screen every year.

Hadn't thought of that before I wonder if Tj s had a similar problem

redrubi
20-07-12, 10:43 PM
I think it's JEEP or Rugged Ridge that make an "Air Foil" type set up that fixes to the leading egde of the bonnet. The theory behind this is that it is supposed to direct air with enough force to throw rocks over or away from the windscreen.

cheers

Andy:pirate:

Paul-JK
20-07-12, 10:51 PM
I'd be surprised if it works personally. It may well be enough to deflect bugs away from the screen (which in itself would be helpful as they seem to commit suicide against the screen in far greater numbers than the wipers can cope with) but I doubt the change in air flow can deflect heavier objects like stones.

Bear
20-07-12, 11:31 PM
Years ago there was a company manufacturing a false windscreens out of perspex for a variety of vehicles.

You made sure your screen was clean, lifted the wipers and put it in place. It was held there by 4 suction cups and a clip around the door frame on each side. There was a rubber seal around the edge to prevent dust getting between the 2 screens.

The one I had, I purchased for the brand new Holden HR I had at the time. I became aware of the product through an ad. in the Modern Motor magazine.

Hunno
21-07-12, 11:19 AM
As kids dad had a wire mess screen that was designed to mount about 3-4 inches in front of the windscreen.

Tarrant
05-09-12, 02:32 PM
Although I encourage going with someone else, as it is not only safer but more fun, there's some easy peasy tracks at Riverstone under the power lines (can't remember the street name but I am sure sbadman will fill in the details) which are good enough to get a bit of dirt on your car, or mud.

There's also the Burralow Trail at Kurrajong Heights which is a bit of fun, even moreso at night. It's not too hardcore though, we even saw a few standard cars at the camping ground halfway, but there's no way I would take MY car down it!

http://www.4x4earth.com.au/4wdtracks/trails/burralow/

Hey guys new to your forum and am thinking of coming along to a club meet just got a 2009 jk on Sunday, actually like it enough to join a club and four wheel drive safely!saw this post suggesting rivo as an easy track to goto but I strongly urge against going there! Itll just damage your car, ruin your tyres, and it's crown land. I've heard a local use to shoot at four wheel drivers, and had some bloke swing an axe through my window and try and ram my car with a truck as I was leaving.

Burralow tho is a good drive and you can continue up to sams way into the np and down to colo heaps easy drive.
Well anyway, was wondering what the average age of your club is and how often you make trips?

Steven.Boyd
05-09-12, 02:37 PM
Hey, Welcome to the forum

Come along to the meeting tonight to see what we are all about.

Are you coming to Jambo?

Hunno
05-09-12, 03:33 PM
Average age of a club member?

Depends on if you want the age they act or the age they look(Wolfe) or they're actually age.

It is a very diversified age group in this club & I think you'll be very surprised with who you'll get along with the most.
I know I was.

Heidi
05-09-12, 06:45 PM
Burralow is not accessible from Bilpin at present as the bridge at the bottom is damaged and needs to be replaced. As Hunno says don't put to much in the age group of the club members there is a large range and the club caters to everyones needs.

Tarrant
06-09-12, 08:26 PM
Burralow is not accessible from Bilpin at present as the bridge at the bottom is damaged and needs to be replaced. As Hunno says don't put to much in the age group of the club members there is a large range and the club caters to everyones needs.

Bilpins the boring way in :) better way is the kurrajong heights track.

Well, judging by what I've read on hear you guys already seem alright, will Definately try come to a meeting in the near future!

Nekked
08-09-12, 07:50 AM
Tarrant,
we are having a drive around the jambo site this Sunday learning some valuable information about driving in groups and Correct convoy procedures, great opportunity for you to come and meet many of the members (and visitors) and have some fun in the process with your jeep.

Cheers