PDA

View Full Version : Headin' South

CraigB
05-10-09, 01:44 AM
Would anyone be interested in cruising around Nowra/Batemans?

Tracks negotiable for any stock vehicle - maybe optional offshoots as they arise. Would be Thursday 8th Oct for a day and possibly an overnighter. This would be a recce for future club options.

CRB 0438 212 739

SteveC
05-10-09, 10:48 AM
Craig, if yo make it the Friday - I might be able, I know a little of that area

CraigB
05-10-09, 12:34 PM
I will check out whats happening this week Steve and post back. I've only been down outside Nowra once. Plenty of tracks there I didn't cover. Also some further down near Batemans bay, but thats a long way for a day trip. Also considering areas around Appin etc - a lot closer to Sydney.
CRB

TK421
05-10-09, 07:42 PM
Went to Morton National Park - just south west of Nowra and it was perfect. Did not explore the tracks enough as the others with me (a Prado, a Nissan Patrol, a Subaru Forrerter, a Landcruiser, and a Ranger Rover) did not want to go deeper into the valleys... as no one had recovery gear or anything... nor did I for that matter... but, it's a fantastic location! It would be worth a drive... we live in Kiama... and it is only 45 minutes away.
Roads to this area are pretty good...
There is a by-pass being built near Albion Park but it is not finished YET (almost there) and when it is, a trip to Kiama from the Heathcote MacDonalds only takes 1 hour MAX.
It will be worth considering when the highway by-pass is finished!
TK

Heidi
05-10-09, 07:59 PM
Tianjara Firetrail is a nice drive, need to ring national parks to arrange the permit (phone call is all that is needed)

CraigB
05-10-09, 08:34 PM
Tianjara is a nice drive. There are also a few tracks off it to hit if so inclined. My only deficency in recov gear is a winch - there is another place south outside Batemans Bay called Buckenbowra and also Danjera Dam. These places are not rock-crawling type tracks, but more than suitable for any stock Jeep. We are thinking heading down that way 12th/13th/14th/15th October, maybe camping out. Anyone from SJC is more than welcome if any interested.

hahah - might find some rocks anyway?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
CRB

TK421
05-10-09, 09:47 PM
They have a big sign at the gates of the National Park we went to this weekend saying: Removal of Bush Rocks Prohibited... I can't believe anyone would bother taking bush rocks home. What is wrong with people? Are they for real?
TK

D.K.
06-10-09, 08:53 AM
Hi Craig,

there are lots of tracks in the Yalwal area (Nr Nowra) which are in the A-B category. Probably the most famous is called Six Stage, but is not for the faint hearted :D :D.

Boiling Billy Productions (Craig Lewis & Cathy Savage) do a book on 4wding in Southern NSW which covers the areas you are looking at all the way down to Gippsland.

Another good place you should think about is Deau NP, near Braidwood. Not been there, but well known and has good steep firetrails suitable for a club trip.

CraigB
06-10-09, 11:12 AM
hahaha, I wasn't going to look for rocks to take home, just for rock-climbing over...it looks like we wont be going till next week. At least one day up around the Tianjara, but would like to see what is around Kiama too - always bypassed the area. Will post up some more defined dates later, dont feel like camping out at this stage, so see what happens.

CRB

MRGC
06-10-09, 11:22 AM
Hi Craig,

there are lots of tracks in the Yalwal area (Nr Nowra) which are in the A-B category. Probably the most famous is called Six Stage, but is not for the faint hearted :D :D.

Boiling Billy Productions (Craig Lewis & Cathy Savage) do a book on 4wding in Southern NSW which covers the areas you are looking at all the way down to Gippsland.

Another good place you should think about is Deau NP, near Braidwood. Not been there, but well known and has good steep firetrails suitable for a club trip.

I am looking at goiong to yalwal end of november, have heard of 6 stage hill was looking at maybe spending the weekend down there but is there enough tracks that are challenging to accommodate for the weekend or should I just settle for the day trip, any camp spots down there that is next to a river.

CraigB
06-10-09, 11:55 AM
When we went down there before, it was only on spec and we were in stock JK. We entered via Wandean rd and followed that up to Turpentine rd, then to Tianjara falls for a look. Then doubled-back out along Twelve Mile rd to the Princes Highway - a few km's north of Conjola. That was all we had time for.
There were a lot of off-shoot track entrances along the way, but we didn't risk going in there alone at the time. The other main track is Deans Gap rd, heading towards Yalwal. No idea of the conditions along that, but would like to go and have a look and get to Danjera Dam, then cruise around checking out the other off-shoots. The run would be pure conjecture. One thing I did notice was they keep their fire-trails in a lot better condition than Sutherland council does around Menai, Engadine and Woronora. We were using the Craig Lewis/Cathy Savage book for a map. No GPS yet.

CRB

Hunno
06-10-09, 01:24 PM
Went to Yalwal many years ago with a range of vehicles. At the time I had a GQ Patrol ute with 5" lift and still found tracks that required winching.
Great Camping site by the dam & other bush camps. But that was 15 years ago.
Would love to go again.

CraigB
06-10-09, 02:44 PM
Tianjara and surrounding tracks closed indefinently due to wet conditions at moment.

Nowra NPWS office currently not available, so cant check for track closures/conditions etc for the Yalwal/Danjera Dam area.

Will maintain an update and post as it goes.

CRB

MRGC
06-10-09, 03:34 PM
The more I search yalwal the more I find out that there is more and more challenging tracks!

CraigB
06-10-09, 04:06 PM
I been looking around Yalwal too. As soon as I can get a pass to go there, thats the trip I want to do next. It's also an easy and direct in and out - not including the off-shoot tracks.

CRB