PDA

View Full Version : Thought Turbo stuffed - but turns out EGR Pipe is split!

glend
18-11-09, 02:27 PM
My KJ CRD has been giving me problems the last couple of days and would roar, whoosh, and generally buck and shudder. I went through everything I could think of and the problem wold not go away. I think I have traced it to the turbo controller or turbo itself and a lack of vane feathering (or too much at the wrong time). These things don't have wastegates and rely on the turbo controller software and vacuum to vary the blade angle of attack. So I can't fix it and its off to Peter Warren on the back of the truck (thanks Jeep Assist as I wasn't prepared to try and drive it that far in its present condition).

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj454/glend1450/DSCN0473.jpg

glend
19-11-09, 01:56 PM
Well Graham at Peter Warren rang me back just now and they have found the problem. The EGR pipe is split! and this is bleeding boost apparently. I would have thought that this would only bleed boost when EGR is open and I thought it would be closed during 'load' periods but I guess I could be wrong. So the EGR pipe change is a 6 hour job (all under warranty thankfully) but the part has to come from Melbourne (of course) so they may not get it done by close of business tomorrow. He tells me he has only seen one other incident like this. Lucky me!

I tell you I am very tempted to take steps to disable EGR in the future (say via the blanking plate approach). Live and learn. CRD owners beware of this problem, its rare but that's two that Peter Warren has handled (and these are late model KJ CRDs still under warranty. I shutter to think what this would cost if out of warranty - but I think I could change it myself if I had to - better to disable the bloody thing.

Dave
19-11-09, 05:43 PM
Thanks Glen, more to worry about. I wonder how you split a steel pipe, unless there was faulty manufacture involved. I will mention this to my mechanic next time I'm in, just in case there are any visible signs.

Dave

Dave
23-11-09, 12:46 PM
So Glen,

Do you have the Jeep back yet?

Dave

glend
23-11-09, 02:56 PM
Yeah Dave I have just got it back. They could not get the job done by close of business Friday (they had to drop the transmission to change this pipe). I went out to collect it and had a chance to look at the old one (below). I hope you can read the red comments on the photo (sorry for the quality its off my phone). They wouldn't let me have it - said it had to be kept for warranty purposes. I was told that the new pipes are much improved and have complete ring welding on the flange piece that is clamped into the manifold as opposed to a couple of spot welds on the original piece. Obviously they don't recall these, they wait for them to break.

A more detailed explanation is available on LOST at:

http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=528924#528924

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj454/glend1450/Pipephoto.jpg

Dave
24-11-09, 04:28 PM
Thanks Glen, visited LOST and got the full brief!

Will ask my mechanic to have a good look next service (or before if needed).

Dave.