PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket wheels on JK

CraigB
16-09-09, 07:05 PM
Hey Reyzor,
How do you find the wrangler runs with 35" tyre rolling diamater? Are they wrapped around 17" rims?

I'm considering a 15" rim with 35" tyres for off-road. I have the unlimited, not Rubicon, so was considering re-gearing to a 4.88:1 ratio would be needed to run the larger rubber. At the moment, my interim rubber is Cooper STT 33"x12.5"/R17's.

As a matter of interest, I've been considering Simex Jungle or Extreme Trekkers, purely for off-roading. Any idea or experience with these?

CraigB

reyzor
17-09-09, 01:14 PM
yeah they are on 17's...seem to find it ok, although i havent had much experiance as to what to look out for.

i havent had any experiance with the tires your talking about...

azasjeep
17-09-09, 02:12 PM
Hey CraigB from my experience the simex et2s are junk and the jungle trekkers even worse, If you are after a hard core bias ply purely for offroading you cant go past interco. Im running the tslsx in a 36x12.5 on a tj at the moment and they are unstoppable in any terrain. My personal favourite though are the boggers of death but they dont do sideslopes well.

CraigB
17-09-09, 06:37 PM
Ok reyzor, I'll go with that - though I'm going to drop to a 15" rim for the offroaders. Theoretically the diff ratio has to change, but I've heard of another JK Rubicon with 35's, straight on stock rims, no problems either.

Thanks azas. I've asked 4 people and got 3 answers like yours. It's enough. Looking to go to 35" up from the 33's next. Plan B was Mickey Thompson Baja Claw...I'll check those tyres of yours next if we ever meet up on a trip.

Either of you guys going to Wheeny Creek Sunday 2oth or Menai the week after?
CraigB

Hunty
25-11-09, 08:38 PM
Ok reyzor, I'll go with that - though I'm going to drop to a 15" rim for the offroaders. Theoretically the diff ratio has to change, but I've heard of another JK Rubicon with 35's, straight on stock rims, no problems either.

Thanks azas. I've asked 4 people and got 3 answers like yours. It's enough. Looking to go to 35" up from the 33's next. Plan B was Mickey Thompson Baja Claw...I'll check those tyres of yours next if we ever meet up on a trip.

Either of you guys going to Wheeny Creek Sunday 2oth or Menai the week after?
CraigB

Hi Guyz
I have a JK and just switched from 35' kumho's to 33' Baja claws both on 16's as I was told the discs are too big on the jk for 15's to fit - anyway with 35's and std gears - 6th gear will only work on flat ground lol and 1st felt like second!!! cheers Hunty

casey
25-11-09, 11:18 PM
I'm running 34" baja claws on 16" rims with 4.01 ratios (6sp man).

Works fine. I thought I might need to regear before I did the tyre mods but you can hardly tell the difference.

reyzor
26-11-09, 10:49 AM
keep in mind though that i have the Rubicon, not sure what model yours is, but im pretty sure i have different ratios, unless you guys have the Rubi, if thats the case then ignore my comments ;D

casey
26-11-09, 08:09 PM
i have a rubi.

its in my sig.
| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

reyzor
27-11-09, 08:53 AM
shows how much i pay attention to detail.

Hunty
28-11-09, 08:03 AM
shows how much i pay attention to detail.

I wish now that I waited and got a Rubi - I dislike having to get under the front end to pull my swaybar disconnects - i wish i knew rubi had better gears and - it looks like lockers are going to cost me a small fortune !!! lol - ouch - I changed down from 35's - to get my jk engineered - so on the bright side - i am finally legal! ya

reyzor
30-11-09, 10:50 AM
i will have my JK with 35's engineered in the next few weeks....watch this space ;D

Miraz
30-11-09, 03:08 PM
Does the offset on your wheels stay within the maximum permitted track increase?

reyzor
30-11-09, 03:32 PM
thats the only thing i am waiting to hear back on him from... i still havent got around to measuring my current track width...fingers are crossed.

Miraz
30-11-09, 04:02 PM
This seems to be the sticking point for most aftermarket wheels - I'm not sure if any of the aftermarket rims have the right offset, you only have 12.5mm on each side to play with.

Also don't forget the maximum rim width of 8" - I suspect your MT Classic II rims are 9" wide?

casey
30-11-09, 10:04 PM
This seems to be the sticking point for most aftermarket wheels - I'm not sure if any of the aftermarket rims have the right offset, you only have 12.5mm on each side to play with.

Also don't forget the maximum rim width of 8" - I suspect your MT Classic II rims are 9" wide?

if it helps anyone...

mine are Pro-Comp Rockcrawler Series 51
http://www.procomp.com.au/Default.asp?MenuId=WHEEL_0051

specs are:

16"x8"
5x5" bolt pattern
12mm offset
5" backspacing

Miraz
30-11-09, 10:26 PM
The stock 7.5" rim has around 6" of backspace which works out to around 45mm offset

In order to meet the track width requirement you will need a rim that has 45mm +/- 12mm

from memory the MT wheels are also 12mm offset, which means that your track will be out by around 60mm

reyzor
07-12-09, 12:17 PM
turns out that i cant get the rig engineered with the current wheels on it. i am waaayy to wide in my track width, apparetly you can only increase by 25mm each side. i am over by about 130mm.... ive got to try and find a set of wheels that keep me within the track width permissable, but also that doesnt rub anywhere whilst flexing.... this could end up beingan expensive process >:( >:( :'(

Miraz
07-12-09, 01:52 PM
25mm total!!

only 12.5mm each side

It may worthwhole getting a custom set of steel rims made up that can be used for engineering purposes.

reyzor
07-12-09, 02:26 PM
sorry my mistake....how much would a custom set of wheels be roughly? also would they still allow me to run my 35's without rubbing?
go on geoff...say it "i told you so?" hehe