PDA

View Full Version : "Obstructed" Number Plate

bradleyfutter
04-01-10, 02:30 PM
So I got pulled over this morning for an "Obstructed" Number Plate. Cop asked me to explain why my number plate was obstructed and informed me it came with a $385 fine and 3 demerit points. I wasn't entirely sure what he was talking about so I asked him to show me. Apparently my toe bar/ball was partially obstructing some of my letters and numbers on the rego pate. So I asked if I took it off now would that be OK? Anyway he let me go with a warning once I removed it which was good of him. Note: this is not a bash all cops post, they have a job to do and so be it, I'm just stoked he didn't fine me ;)

What I was after was info from anyone who has relocated their number/rego plate to anywhere else on the rear of a TJ wrangler? Are there any legal requirements as to where it can or cant be? Where is the best spot to put it etc...

Steve F
04-01-10, 03:11 PM
I cant remember the exact details but it must be within a certain distance of the ground, it's on the RTA website under the ADR requirements. I know it's pretty high though as mine is legal and mounted on the centre of my spare tyre (on the XJ).

Cheers
Steve

azasjeep
04-01-10, 04:30 PM
My mate had his mounted on a v8 supercar spoiler in the centre air intake and when he got done i think it was had to be readable from a 45 degree angle in any direction. Not sure about height though.

Heidi
19-01-10, 12:57 PM
They are currently targeting jeeps and subaru's at the moment.

I had to remove both the treg coupling and the rear tyre and report to the local station to show it had been rectified to receive a warning instead of a fine and demerit points.

We will have to find another location for it as it is a pain to remove the treg coupling each time (the goose neck is rusted in place) and the spare takes to much room in the cabin space

Miraz
19-01-10, 01:16 PM
I moved mine up onto the spare tyre over the weekend, damn thing keeps getting torn off the back bumper

reyzor
19-01-10, 03:04 PM
I moved mine up onto the spare tyre over the weekend, damn thing keeps getting torn off the back bumper

doesnt it just ;)

vhdzine
23-01-10, 09:30 PM
Almost ripped mine off at the Watagans trip today! Luckily Manni saw it before I lost it!