PDA

View Full Version : KJ CRD Timing Belt Parts - Group Buy being organised

glend
08-01-10, 11:56 AM
Currently in OZ a timing belt change on a KJ CRD cost around $1700, based on a quote from a large Jeep service centre for replacing the timing belt, pulleys and tensioner, split roughly $1000 parts and $700 labour.

After a recent spate of timing belt breakages (at speed) on vehicle around the 100000km mark, including at least one at least 4000km under that point, some effort is being made to locate reasonably priced VM original parts through a 'Group Buy'. The timing belt, pulleys, and tensioner, supplied by the VM distributor in the UK comes to $350 shipping has to be added to that (typically less than $50). That is a savings of about $600 on the Australian quoted price.

KJ CRD owners can read about the damage done by a timing belt break, and the location of the Uk supplier at the post below.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92302&page=3

A group of us are trying to put together a buy group with enough size to generate a bulk discount to further reduce this good price. If your interested you can indicate your interest at the end of the post above.

Not many KJ CRDs in SJC but Dave and gi-frog I guess this is aimed at you.

For Wrangler CRD owners, the parts are probably the same for you but that would need to be confirmed by VM UK.

Dave
29-01-10, 06:06 PM
I am interested, but it will have to be soon.

The maintenance schedule recommends replacement at 100,000km if the vehicle has been driven 'lightly'. However if you drive in hot conditions, dusty conditions, or tow, or drive 'hard', then replace at 50,000km.

Now that I have had my fan clutch replaced, and am seeing the Temp Gauge sit one whole notch lower, I realise that for the past 4.5 years and nearly 70,000km my car has been operating in hotter than normal conditions. It has also experienced plenty of dust and the odd bootful of revs.

So, my timing belt etc is being replaced at the next service - 70,000km. I hope that it lasts that long! My local Midas mechanic is happy to do it, and he does good work - for less than Jeep used to charge, so fingers crossed.

Dave

Cpage66
29-01-10, 07:17 PM
Is this the 2.8 motor or the 2.5 Dave?

If it's the 2.8, I know where you can get the belt itself for around $150 shipped...

Dave
29-01-10, 07:35 PM
Thanks Cpage66

It's the 2.8 CRD, but you need more than just the timing belt, need the guide wheels replaced as well (I am told). Note, this is not the serpentine belt.

Dave

Cpage66
29-01-10, 07:38 PM
Thanks Cpage66

It's the 2.8 CRD, but you need more than just the timing belt, need the guide wheels replaced as well (I am told). Note, this is not the serpentine belt.

Dave

Yep...the timing belt...

I'll send you a PM with some details...

Dave
20-02-10, 10:14 AM
Okay, I have bitten the bullet and getting the Timing Belt and Tensioner and other 'wheels' replaced on Monday. I haven't ordered from England. Iasked my local Midas guys - who do all my servicing - to have a hunt around. They got back to me saying that they could do the whole job for $1200. So I said lets do it.

I know, cheaper to get parts from England - just a bit over $400, but I would still have to ask Midas to do the work. This way I know I am getting the right parts (I have stuffed up orders before) , I know the work will get done properly (they have all the required tools), and for a job that will take at least one full day if not two, it probably isn't that much more expensive.

Dave