PDA

View Full Version : Lake Lyel 27/02/2010

Steve F
24-01-10, 12:58 PM
Time for another Lake Lyel trip (5 minutes past Lithgow), this time Saturday 27th Feb 2010.

For those that haven't been before it's a pretty good trip including some tough climbs (one is optional and it can be especially tough and almost impossible if it's wet) and a water crossing or two. Typically we start the run around 9:30am out at Lithgow and finish up around 4:00-5:00pm.

Anyway, the trip will be limited to 8 vehicles initially with a possible increase to 10 dependent on the weather when it gets closer. Priority will go to members and then visitors so if you're interested get in early as they are usually pretty popular.

Meeting Details

Well be meeting at Richmond Maccas at 7:45am for a 8:00am depature, if you're running late call me on 0411 688 057

Next meeting point will be the shell service station just outside of Lithgow, we expect to be here by 9:00am for a 9:15 departure.

Google Maps for those that haven't been out to this area before:

richmond maccas:
Richmond Maccas 7:45am (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=-33.599453,150.75249&geocode=&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=19&sll=-33.599596,150.752595&sspn=0.001709,0.004128&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=19)

lithgow shell servo location:
Service Station 9:00am (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=-33.505997,150.123833&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=18&sll=-33.505989,150.123893&sspn=0.003422,0.008256&ie=UTF8&ll=-33.505989,150.123893&spn=0.003422,0.008256&t=h&z=18)

Attendees

Steve (Me)
Chris C
D.K.
Will
Chris (Hunno)
Scott
Casey
Rup
Dave
Steve C

Reserves

Ben

Cheers
Steve

Some pics from a run out there a while ago.

http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/albums/album645/DSC_0022NONUM.jpg

http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/albums/album645/DSC_0089NONUM.jpg

Cheers
Steve

TRBN8R
24-01-10, 07:25 PM
;D ;D ;D Hi Steve,
Please count me in.

Cheers
Mani

Will2003tj
24-01-10, 07:58 PM
Hey Steve,

Havent been able to get out in a while! definantly in. I also finally joined recently.

Will

Hunno
24-01-10, 08:11 PM
Steve,

Count me in please.

Thanks Chris

sbadman
24-01-10, 08:25 PM
Put me down Steve, I had a great time last I was there!

Steve F
24-01-10, 09:08 PM
6 so far, one replied via PM

Cheers
Steve

Wolfe
24-01-10, 10:10 PM
I'd love to put my hand up but I've got heating issues with the Xj so I think I may be out of action for a while

tonysrich
25-01-10, 05:22 PM
I'm in

casey
25-01-10, 05:26 PM
Im in!

Cpage66
25-01-10, 06:19 PM
Have you got me down already??

Steve F
25-01-10, 07:02 PM

Yep, you are the PM acceptance :)

Looks like the trip is now full, any others will go on the reserve list dependant on weather and any drop outs. I'll try and decide if we can take 10 ASAP as I dont want to leave anyone hanging.

Cheers
Steve

Cpage66
25-01-10, 07:04 PM

Yep, you are the PM acceptance :)

Cheers
Steve

Got one of these for Christmas...

http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=30

Can't wait to try it out...

Steve F
25-01-10, 07:10 PM
I picked up a HD camera as well, a small cheap helmet mount one. It has no screen or anything but will record 2hrs on a 4GB card so I'll be trying that out as well. Really got it for the bike but I'll stick on the Jeep for the trip :)

Cheers
Steve

casey
25-01-10, 07:36 PM
Got one of these for Christmas...

http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=30

Can't wait to try it out...

I'd like to get one of those too.

Plus one of these: http://www.cnet.com.au/kodak-playsport-zx3-339300342.htm

D.K.
25-01-10, 10:28 PM
Hell, that list fills quickly - put me on the reserve list please!

TRBN8R
27-01-10, 12:25 AM
Hi DK
Good news for u & bad news for me. Rosters gave me the wrong weekends off so I have to pull out.

Have fun out there

Cheers
Mani

Steve F
27-01-10, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the quick notice Mani, the first post now has an updated list on attendance :)

Cheers
Steve

rupicon
28-01-10, 08:10 PM
Hy guys
I have finally got the tj fit for off road again. would love to come to Lake Lyel
9th spot ? ;D OR 1st reserve? :'(

driftdave
02-02-10, 11:09 PM
Please put me down as a reserve!

Cheers
Dave

Steve F
03-02-10, 09:58 AM
Rup and Dave are both coming along, this trip is now officially full with 10 vehicles :)

Happy to still add reserves but the numbers wont go higher than 10 so they'll only be added if we have a pullout.

Cheers
Steve

SteveC
03-02-10, 10:22 AM
Steve - add me as a reserve. thanks

Steve F
03-02-10, 11:08 AM

Done

MOP44R
03-02-10, 05:45 PM
Hi Steve,

I would also like the been added to the reserve list...
Better late then never I suppose

Cheers

Ben

Steve F
08-02-10, 07:38 AM

Tony has dropped out so Steve you are now in.

Cheers
Steve

SteveC
18-02-10, 04:48 PM
I see now that I'm In - Great.

Hunty
18-02-10, 09:46 PM
count me in - or at least count me in as a reserve Doh - LoL - cheers Hunty

SteveC
19-02-10, 10:17 AM
I hope you can be included Hunty.

Steve F
19-02-10, 10:33 AM
At the moment the trip is closed, we've 10 vehicles already and would have to take it up to 12 to include everyone which is unfortunately really pushing it for this trip, the ideal number is 8 or less. All the rain recently isn't going to help either with one climb especially looking like it's going to be a real struggle. We had 3 vehicles do it last time and it took about 1.5 hrs ;)

If the weather stays dry between now and the trip we may be able to take an extra two but dont hold your breath.

Cheers
Steve

rupicon
19-02-10, 07:40 PM
GRATE site back up, good work guys
looking forward to this trip and DLEO68 is ridding shotgun RISE OF THE FALLEN?

Steve F
22-02-10, 05:49 PM
I've updated the first post with meeting times and maps etc :)

Cheers
Steve

driftdave
22-02-10, 10:21 PM
I'll be meeting you at the Shell if thats OK

Looking forward to it!

Dave

Steve F
24-02-10, 10:12 AM
I'll be meeting you at the Shell if thats OK

Looking forward to it!

Dave

No problem, Chris usual meets us there as well so there'll be a few at each meeting point. Can I get a list of names for those meeting at Richmond Maccas so we dont miss anyone?

Cheers
Steve

Hunno
24-02-10, 10:47 AM
Steve,

I'll be meeting you at the Shell Servo.

Thaks Chris

MOP44R
24-02-10, 05:08 PM
At the moment the trip is closed, we've 10 vehicles already and would have to take it up to 12 to include everyone which is unfortunately really pushing it for this trip, the ideal number is 8 or less. All the rain recently isn't going to help either with one climb especially looking like it's going to be a real struggle. We had 3 vehicles do it last time and it took about 1.5 hrs ;)

If the weather stays dry between now and the trip we may be able to take an extra two but dont hold your breath.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

Just wondering when will the final decision be made as to adding numbers or leaving as is. Im sent to put claws on Friday lunch but if there is no hope of getting on the trip I will push it to Saturday morning...

But would love to come along have a play

Cheers

Ben

Steve F
24-02-10, 05:13 PM
Hi Ben,

I'm probably going to regret this but well take the extra 2 vehicles :) I'll modify the trip slightly so we still get through in a reasonable time. So yourself and Hunty are in. So keep your fingers crossed for dry weather.

Cheers
Steve

MOP44R
24-02-10, 05:50 PM
Excellent, cant wait... I will meet up at the Shell servo as its easier for me to go Northern Road then left onto Great Western Highway, so see you guys at 9

MOP44R
24-02-10, 05:52 PM
count me in - or at least count me in as a reserve Doh - LoL - cheers Hunty

Hi Hunty,

Mate I will bring the dash top Saturday with me that we were chatting about at the Watagans, its your if you still want it

Cheers

Ben

sbadman
24-02-10, 05:59 PM
I"ll be meeting at Macca's, you couldn't pay me to go via GWH :D

SteveC
24-02-10, 08:50 PM
Steve. Ill meet at richmond mc. Because i love a sausage mcmuffin thingies

Hunty
24-02-10, 09:27 PM
Hi Steve - I am very happy to make the cut - and will meet you at Richmond Maccas
cheers Hunty

Will2003tj
24-02-10, 11:26 PM
Will be meeting at Richmond Maccas... cant wait

rupicon
25-02-10, 10:30 PM
sausage mcmuffin meeting point for me

D.K.
26-02-10, 02:01 PM
I'll be at Richmond in a vehicle that will not be mentioned. TJ is having a rest.

Steve F
26-02-10, 06:54 PM
Second battery is charged up and back in, recovery gear in, winch tested, I'm ready to go :) Just need a tank of fuel and some food.

Cheers
Steve

Hunno
27-02-10, 08:35 PM
Thanks to everyone for a great day. Will see everybody next trip or Meeting

Chris

sbadman
28-02-10, 12:18 AM
What a day that turned out to be! :D

It was fairly uneventful until the decision to drive the last hill.....

I got bogged in a deep mud hole requiring climbing out of the passenger window and lying on the bonnet to attach the strap to both my vehicle and Chris (Cpage66) without falling in myself. In the process my alternator was drowned (twice in one month!) which was discovered by my passenger when the Jeep started spluttering and he turned it off, and it wouldn't start again. Chris again helped out by giving my battery a quick charge via jumper cables, at which point I radioed for a winch to be ready at the top because I was coming up with the possibility of losing all power half way. It should be noted that the last time I tried this hill it took about 2 hours and required me being winched over one section. This time it was more like 2 minutes, including coming up behind Hunty, who was parked to get video, with the call that I needed a clear path to the top. I believe he reached 3rd gear finishing the climb after taking a few seconds to realise I was right behind him and keen to clear the hill before losing power!

Once at the top I rinsed the alternator and sprayed it with WD40, which didn't fix it. Hunty provided another charge and then we were off again taking the most direct route back out. I lasted 5 minutes before the engine cut out, but was able to to roll for another 5-10 without power assistance on brakes or steering. Steve F lent me his fully charged auxiliary battery which would provide me with enough power to get back to Lithgow. On the way out however I managed to get a flat tyre after presumably spiking it on a rock. Stopping in the flattest spot nearby the tyre was changed, and we eventually made it back out to sealed roads.

At this point I soon had another problem - the high throttle hill climb with practically no thermo-fan assistance had cause it to overheat, and the temperature needle had once again moved into the red. On the upside the volt gauge suddenly went from almost in the red back up to just under 14, meaning the alternator had started working again. Pulling into the Shell servo I headed straight to the wash bay and hosed down the front of the car and radiator, with the temp needle eventually dropping back down to a reasonable level. I aired up, bought a bottle of water, and confirmed that the alternator was indeed charging with a multimeter.

Climbing the hill out of Lithgow sure enough the temp gauge was quickly in the red, and by the time I had reached the clearing at the top the needle was hard against the stop. Steve C, being made aware of the situation, pulled into the clearing also. After letting it cool a bit we gently eased the radiator cap off, releasing a lot of steam, but no coolant. I poured in what was left of the bottle of water, not full. Steve had half a bottle of orange cordial, and it went in also, but still not full. Steve took the empty bottle back to Lithgow for refilling, during which time Casey pulled in to see what was wrong and reassemble his front bumper. Steve returned with the full bottles and they were emptied into the radiator, still not full! Casey offered up a thermos half full of water, which was poured in, but still not full! The last source of water was Steve's washer reservoir, so the hose was disconnected and plumbed into one of the empty bottle while Steve activated the washer. By the way those washer pumps can move a fair amount of water! This finally was enough to fill the radiator completely, so the cap was replaced, bonnet closed, and the trip back home was completed without further incident.

During all this Kay had called with word that her car was broken down in the middle of Windsor! Thankfully that was simply a case of running out of fuel due to a slightly optimistic fuel gauge. All this is one day after we lost one of our cars due to the return of my ex-company car.

Thanks to those that gave their help, my reasons for joining the club were one thing, support like this is my reason for staying with the club! :)

driftdave
28-02-10, 01:52 PM
Me and the Mrs had a great day!

Ta Muchly!

Cheers
Dave

Will2003tj
28-02-10, 02:29 PM
what a great trip! had heaps of fun and was impressed by my jeep.

can anyone that took pics post them up? i wish i didnt forget my camera.

thanks to everyone for organising it and hunty for filming!

SteveC
28-02-10, 06:56 PM
Another great trip and a lot of smiles all round. Thanks Steve for your guidance.

Scott, who managed to be soooooo relaxed throughout his ordeal. I'm glad I was able to help.

It just goes to show that regular maintenance and checking your truck before you venture out is so important.

sbadman
28-02-10, 07:05 PM
It just goes to show that regular maintenance and checking your truck before you venture out is so important.

Not to mention avoiding mud holes, they're just not worth the aftermath!

Miraz
28-02-10, 07:38 PM
I was picking up you guys on the radio in the late afternoon, didn't sound like you could hear me though....I spent the day down the road at Jenolan, should really organise a club trip out that way sometime soon - the rain has washed a few of the tracks and made them a little more interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rksjGkgjXEo&feature=channel

Hunno
28-02-10, 10:14 PM
Not to mention avoiding mud holes, they're just not worth the aftermath!

Got to second that Scott. Spent Sunday at Newns, very dusty & tides in almost all bog holes very low. Except of cause the one at the top of I think they call it Son of Bob(the big rock step just prior to Black Fellows Hand Track)which is a little deeper than I remember. Like over the bonnet deep. I guess the ZJ was a little thursty. Got a tow & over lunch pulled the plugs, yep 5 & 6 full of water. got it all out & half a dozen cranks it fired up. Couple of questions I have will post in there right sections.
I think Until I get a snorkle I stick to dry ground as much as possible.

driftdave
02-03-10, 11:15 PM
Any Photos from the trip?

Cheers
Dave

sbadman
03-03-10, 06:11 AM
Any Photos from the trip?

Cheers
Dave

And a trip report from the last person to arrive at Maccas please :) This one should be easy to write!