PDA

View Full Version : Google Goes Off-Road

TK421
25-01-10, 02:25 PM
Hello fellow Jeepers,

You may be interested in participating in the following:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/google-street-view-trike-unveiled-in-australia-for-off-road-images/story-fn3dxity-1225823251892

We may, as a Club, be the first to contribute - any ideas?

TK

Hunno
25-01-10, 02:34 PM
The question I have is do you really want to advertise tracks to genral public(Greenies) to abused or do you keep them for clubs & pure 4wder's & keep them open?

TK421
25-01-10, 05:30 PM
Hello all,
The idea is to suggest off-road locations that are already open to the public - and as a club, be seen as the responsible and environmentally aware organization. I am sure there are many club members wanting to contribute so that these tracks are maintained by Government for everyone to use:
http://www.google.com.au/trike
Over to you all!
If the Greens and the general public are keen to suggest 4 Wheel Driving is unfriendly and environmentally unsound because of Google, then, Google may be our best option for educating them that Clubbing as we do, is the best way to do the 4WD we all love.
This may be our way to participate in this debate - and win the argument once and for all.
TK

Hunno
25-01-10, 08:10 PM
Hello all,
The idea is to suggest off-road locations that are already open to the public - and as a club, be seen as the responsible and environmentally aware organization. I am sure there are many club members wanting to contribute so that these tracks are maintained by Government for everyone to use:
Over to you all!
If the Greens and the general public are keen to suggest 4 Wheel Driving is unfriendly and environmentally unsound because of Google, then, Google may be our best option for educating them that Clubbing as we do, is the best way to do the 4WD we all love.
This may be our way to participate in this debate - and win the argument once and for all.
TK

Very vaild point, something to be discussed further

Chris

Wooders
27-01-10, 10:36 AM
Hello all,
Over to you all!
TK

Problem is highlighting trails that are even public access can lead to more traffic from JoePublic - Some will be in experienced (& unsupervised), some with simply be irresponsible. This, in my opinion, increases the chances of trail damage/littering/accidents/etc - all which are then factors that can lead towards closure of those trails.

Then I am not sure how using google is going convince general public that 4x4 clubs are responsible.
As for convincing extremist Greenies, if find that VERY unlikely as they are deaf to their own agenda. I say "extremist" becuase I have long maintained that WE need to be (& be seen as) greenies......but that's another topic all together.

Anyhow my point is I can only see a downsode to using Google - but happy to be proven/explained wrong.....

TRBN8R
27-01-10, 01:28 PM
Hi Mate

I saw their trike on the net it is basically a pushbike with three wheels. I dont think that they can cover any 4WD track even if they want to on that pushbike. IMO they will do only places limited to the capacity of their trike that would be probably dirt roads and beaches.

Mani

Steve F
27-01-10, 01:34 PM
'Offroad' looks like it means places like fox studios and theme parks etc, after all the first stop was Taronga Zoo. Seems like it's just tourist spots where you cant drive a car.

From the news article "Google has also asked the public to nominate their favourite pedestrian-only spots to snap for the mapping feature."

Cheers
Steve

up2nogood
31-01-10, 02:23 PM
Hmmmmm, given the amount of rubbish and crap I pick up from remote areas, after other drivers and campers have 'visited', I don't know that further advertising of these locations (and how to get there) is all that good an idea!

What do you guys think?