PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise from engine.

ValiumMm
29-01-10, 01:05 PM
Hey guys, i have a 1997, Jeep Cherokee, 2.4L Petrol Manual.

I was driving to the hunter valley from sydney, on the freeway going 110, started making this loud tick noise, sounded like the fan was hitting something, but i checked and nothing was there. After the freeway going 80 – 90Km/h it stopped. On the way back it started again on the freeway, but got louder the more i accelerated and going up hills. It kept doing it once off the freeway, then 15 mins later just stopped :S.

I then drove of 20 mins and started again just before i got home, then left it on idle and it went away :S

Oil, oil filter, spark plugs, were all done about two months ago.

Im not sure if it has to do with the engine getting hotter but i cant figure it out. Anyone have any ideas what it could be.

Regards in Advance.

ValiumMm
29-01-10, 01:07 PM
I found this.
It sounds like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Cx1izJ3E8&feature=related

if its the valve or not, im not sure

glend
29-01-10, 01:11 PM
There have been similiar noises made by KJ CRDs that have had belt pulley bearing go on them. It could also be alternator pulley, AC compressor clutch pulley etc.

ValiumMm
29-01-10, 01:19 PM
Its a Petol 2.4L manual Engine.
I think it could be the lifters. So im gonna get an additive and do an oil change and see if this improves it. Otherwise mechanic it is after that.

ValiumMm
30-01-10, 02:27 PM
Ok, so i added some more oil and the sound went away. I also got lifter free which i will use in an oil change next week, just to be safe. there must not have been enough oil pressure.