PDA

View Full Version : KJ CRD running at high temps

Dave
29-01-10, 05:57 PM
Finally a fix for a problem that I have had since new - July 2005.

My KJ CRD Temperature gauge has always gone up - as high as about the three quaters mark - on warm days when climbing hills for more than 30 seconds or so and when sand driving. On a few occasions I have actually stopped to let it cool down!

Jeep had done the TSB to fix a false 'indicated' overheating twice, 2006 and 2007, with no change. The also told me that they had examined every part of the cooling system and found nothing wrong, 2007 and 2008.

Well, after hitting three quaters twice in December 09, and in January 10 - at 110kph on the freeway no less, I finally nipped into Natrad.

The mechanic immediately said "Fan Clutch", and demonstrated the fault by holding the fan stationary with two fingers while the engine was running. I had asked Jeep to check this, and I had seen on US Forums the same problem, but they always said it was fine.

Anyway, clutch replaced (not under warranty - but I am writing to Jeep anyway, after all my un-satisfied complaints while it was under warranty).

Now I can hear the fan when the engine is on, especially when revved, I've never heard it before, just the electric fan. And the temp needle sits a whole notch lower when in traffic!

So, a few other KJ drivers have told me they have experienced this problem. Nip into Natrad (I went to Granville) and they will sort it out. Not cheap, $750 for a Jeep part (no aftermarkets available) and $100 labour, but I reckon its worth it.

Dave

Dave
21-02-10, 06:07 PM
Or is it??? Went up to Zig Zag today, to actually ride on the train, didn't get out of 2wd. Sunday 21 February, fine, sunny and warm. For the first time ever the temperature needle did not go up past normal on Bellbird Hill.

But, after getting back down to Richmond Maccas at about 4.00pm, one of my passengers asked me to put the Air Conditiioning on. Big mistake. Grinding noise. Cloud of smoke out the back end. Not good! Turned the Air off again, running fine. On again, more smoke and noise. Off again, and started heading for Sydney.

Temperature needle back up where normal used to be before the new clutch went in just 3 short weeks ago. Needle stays back up at half way all the way home.

Got home, tried the AC when back in the driveway. No cold air, clutch fan is spinning, electric fan is spinning, temp needle slowly creeps down.

So, it's in for the timing belt tomorrow, so they will have the whole front end of the engine off. Is it the fan clutch? Is it the AC compressor? Have I just shot all the gas out, and if so why? Oh yeah, there was also a funny smell of mint, but that just turned out to be the chewing gum I stepped in at Richmond Maccas, and smeared all over the pedals.

For the answers to all these questions and more, stay tuned.

Dave

Dave
23-02-10, 05:25 PM
Got the car back, and everything seems to be fine.

Air conditioning system checked – compressor, condenser, gas pressure etc – no problems found. Mechanic could only conclude that it must have been a dried mud ball or something impacting the compressor or fan or other component, and disintegrating loudly, leaving a cloud of dust to be blown out the back. Certainly have collected plenty of mud in the previous couple of trips to the Blue (brown) Mountains. It must now be really dry, and the Bells Line shook it loose. Fingers crossed there won’t be any further ‘symptoms’. Nothing wrong with the new fan clutch, temp back on the new (lower) normal today. I guess it must have just been hot and dusty on Sunday arvo.

Dave