PDA

View Full Version : Anti-rust protection required necessary for new 2009 JK Wrangler 3.8L manual??

jeep jeep
29-01-10, 10:45 PM
Hi all,

Pardon my ignorance as i'm new to the jeep jeep 4wdriving scene

I have just bought my new jeep yesterday and just want to know if i would need some sort of anti-rust protection if i want to go hit the sand dunes (kurnell) asap probly this w/e or next if weather is good?

Appreciate your assistance

cheers my fellow Jeep Jeepers!

TRBN8R
30-01-10, 12:52 AM
Mate the best anti rust treatment is to wash it really well specially undercarriage after every wheeling trip. I had a cheap suzuki, and a TATA telcoline ute in india and they never rusted although driven on 4wd track like indian roads. My dad still has them and the suzuki is 15 years old and TATA is 11 years old and not spot of rust on them.

Just wash it and u will be right. Dont pay the dealer for rust treatment. He might be trying to scare you into buying it. My dealer offered to tint my windows for 1000 bucks when they come tinted from company itself.

Cheers and Happy Wheeling

Mani

reyzor
30-01-10, 08:53 AM
i like to give mine a wash before hand, then spray the under carrage with lanolin, then when i come home put the jeep on ramps and get really wet and dgiver her another wash, esspecially as Mani said the undercarrige, make sure you get into all the nooks and crannies,

glend
30-01-10, 09:02 AM
Spray on underbody coatings (and internal cavity coatings) do make a real mess that often makes working on a vehicle difficult (and there is always the posibility of the coating being damaged by sticks, rocks, etc).

For decades underbody coatings have been sold by dealerships in North America as protection against the salt used on roads to melt ice and snow (doesn't work when its really cold however). There could be a valid argument for it if your vehicle was going to be spending its life running up and down Fraser Island as a hire car driven by backpackers - and thus continually in the salt environment. As others have said, wash it each time you go off road and don't allow mud and sand to build up in locations where it can sit in crevices and such.

IMHO owner diligence and good maintenance is much better protection.

jeep jeep
30-01-10, 04:46 PM
Thanks so much for your feedback fellow jeep jeepers, i really appreciate it

I'm now less paranoid and more confident in taking my jeep jeep on to the sand dunes and wherever tough terrain can be driven through with no problemo real soon

Hope there's a 4wd tough terrain cruise coming soon though

cheers guys ;)

TRBN8R
31-01-10, 12:19 AM
Forgot to add mate while on sand keep tyre pressure about 18PSI or a bit less, Switch off ESP by holding the esp switch down for 7 seconds, and maintain a lot of momentum. Dont forget recovery gear and a shovel.

every time you restart the car ESP comes on automatically so you have switch it off every time you restart on sand.

Cheers and have fun
Mani