PDA

View Full Version : Oil Treatment

Bear
19-02-10, 05:44 AM
Does anyone use a friction modifier in their engine oil?
I am using MoS2 (molybdenum disulphide) sold under the brand name "Liqui-Moly" it reduces friction and therefore wear. Unlike STP or other teflon based oil treatment it does not thicken the oil. Therefore my Jeep continues to run on the very light grade oil recomended by the manufacturer.
One thing you cannot use it until your engine is run in, otherwise you never will run it in.

glend
19-02-10, 01:25 PM
Diesel owners may want to review the TurboDiesel Register articles (links below) on Oil Analysis before trying any MoS2 additives as most good synthetic diesel rated oils already contain some MoS2.

The TDR aricles raise some concerns about MoS2 use in synthetic diesel oils (where it is used as an oxidation inhibitor for long life oils), especially the new high detergent oils (CH-4 and CJ-4). The concerns relate to cam follower wear in some engines that use oils with high Total Base Numbers (TBN) which indicate high detergency (like the the CJ-4) with relatively high levels of MoS2. Most Jeep CRDs running the VM diesels should not be affected unless they are trying to run CJ-4 API graded oils. Of course diesel grade oils should never be run in petrol vehicles due to the damage they can do the to the petrol catalytic converter chemistry.Owners of later model CRDs with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs) like this years JK CRDs should probably consult their owners manual on oil grade speciifcation and avoid CJ-4 if they can. Given the apparent link with cam follower wear in CJ-4, CRD owner may wish to hold off on adding in more heavier concentrations of MoS2 until more data is available.

Diesel owners, if you'd like to review the articles yourself they are located here:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/tdrarticles/tdrarticle56_lubeoilspecs.html
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/TDR57_Oil.pdf

The oils reviewed are USA brands and some are very hard to find here but they have equivalent brands here. For example, the Penrite Sin Diesel is very close in composition to one of the best rated oils in the analysis. So if you use the oil chart properties and characteristics you can locate local brands that rank high based on their additive package and Base build. Penrite HPR Diesel 5 also ranks very well on the properties comparison. Just don't look for them there, you'll need to download the various product tech sheets to be able to compare the additive package composition.

Bear
10-06-10, 06:52 AM
With a major service coming up for the JK I will expand the program to include all oil ie. engine, gearbox,transfer case, and both diffs

TRBN8R
14-07-10, 04:43 PM
Thanks Bear

I got my car serviced last Friday and drove for about 60 Km. After that I put in a bottle of Liqui Moly and the difference was noticeable. The engine vibrates less and is lot more quieter under acceleration. Hopefully I will get a few extra miles out of the engine now.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Mani

snoik
14-07-10, 09:02 PM
doe's anyone know of a good gearbox treatment, after getting water in my TJ gearbox, I have flushed it out several times, but now there is a wine in it, I have tried a nulon product but the noise is still there, it's not getting louder but it is anoying

Oldboy
14-07-10, 11:22 PM
For what it's worth, I use the Nulon Diesel HP in our Delica.
I just added Nulon Long Term treatment in our TJ.

Snoik,
Was that G70????
Maybe the damage has been done?