PDA

View Full Version : Took the Old ZJ for a drink at the Local ...... Bog Hole

Hunno
28-02-10, 09:40 PM
Got it going ok after pulling the plug & pumping it out. Run smooth sounds fine.
However on the drive home the CHECK ENGINE light came on & splutters under throttle.
Still runs fine otherwise, oil & everything under the bonnet seems ok.
Just looking for peoples thoughts other than - don't drive in puddles.

Thanks Chris

p.s. Newns is getting pretty chewed out in section & others that where impassable for me I drove with ease.

Steve F
28-02-10, 09:49 PM
How much fuel in the tank, any chance there's water in the fuel, did the filler/breather go under?

Cheers
Steve

sbadman
28-02-10, 10:02 PM
Just looking for peoples thoughts other than - don't drive in puddles.

Just remember snorkels don't protect alternators :D

stevet
28-02-10, 11:21 PM
Throttle position sensor (TPS), they do not like taking a bath......... always wrapped mine in waterproof tape after the first one gave out.....

Hunno
01-03-10, 07:46 AM
Throttle position sensor (TPS), they do not like taking a bath......... always wrapped mine in waterproof tape after the first one gave out.....
Actually I do remember you saying that. I don't suppose you got one of these as a spare you want the sell?

Hunno
02-03-10, 10:00 AM
Does anybody have a Codekey or similar they could bring to the meeting on Wednesday night that I maybe able to borrow for a couple of minutes to read the code & reset the Check Engine light.

Thanks Chris

reyzor
02-03-10, 12:06 PM
obd2 port?

ive got a scangauge in the car, if i make it to the meeting then by all means have a go

Hunno
09-03-10, 07:05 PM
Throttle Position Sensor Shot. Thought I had it covered with one from Steve T. However they change on 97-00 model. Found they BN on Ebay $85USD including shippingwith a one week wait.

Hunno
28-03-10, 02:18 PM
OK. I got the new TPS & fitted, changed Oil & filter.
Now the Idle speed has dropped from 1600 RPM to 1150 RPM but this is still to high. Any Ideas why???

Hunno
28-03-10, 03:55 PM
Ok might have jumped the gun, took it for a 20 min drive up the freeway. Must not have run it long enough for the computer to reset. still need to clear to fault light. Tried the on/off thing to get the code but that didn't work.

Bear
28-03-10, 04:32 PM
Try disconnecting the pos + lead from the battery and earth it out. This discharges the capacitors in the computer and resets it, reconnect the battery and see if this makes a difference.

Hunno
29-03-10, 12:49 PM
went to auto shop to have a look at what code readers they had, but had none. on the way home it seems to have reset. yah!!!!!!!!!!!Its running very well aagain fresh oil & filters, plugs/leads next week. now on to the front diff again.