PDA

View Full Version : A choice of tyres ??? of the 33's variety

Jaffas
01-03-10, 07:15 PM
Well, it has come to that time where the Goodyear MTR's have done 80k km's and are starting to look a bit shabby. Thought I might get a new set before Camp Coffs so I don't slide around too much!

I have really enjoyed the MTR 33 x 12.5 R15's, but am wondering what choices are out there now in the mud-terrain variety... it has been nearly 4 years since I last looked.

So I decided to start where all good research starts -> on an internet forum!

So tell me what you think!

reyzor
01-03-10, 07:19 PM
with my tj (driftdaves car now) i used to run dick cepek fc2's..... a real good all terrain....

marcus
01-03-10, 07:58 PM
if you want a good all around tyre the mickey thompson mtz has a good rep from all i know who have them
the bfg km2 muddies are slightly more aggressive but mtz better all round
but i personally love my baja claws awesome off road well mannered onroad once you get use to them

NT-Boy
01-03-10, 11:07 PM
i've always been a fan of the BFG's, after running the MTZ for some years now, they have been great on all the trips that i've done. The TriGard® construction — innovative 3-ply polyester carcass, realy helps when you side bit the tyres. But in saying that, after the last run i did with the the club i realy like the way wolfe's Baja claws worked that day.

So i'm with Marcus. BFG or Mickey T's

driftdave
06-03-10, 11:20 AM
Yes I agree with Rey

Very happy with the FC2's true AT tyre

Cheers
Dave

Pura Vida
16-03-10, 07:14 PM
Where is the best (cheapest) place to buy tires? A local retailer? Online? Online from the USA? This would be to purchase 33" alterain tires.

SteveC
16-03-10, 07:20 PM
While not 33s I'm very happy with the Km2's. if on Sydney, north shore try Able tyres in Brookvale - cheaper by miles than else where that I tried back in Aug 2009 for BFG, They also provide finger balance (what ever that means)....

Jaffas
17-03-10, 05:21 PM
Well, I decided to take up goodyears' 4 for 3 sale, so new MTR kevlars, here we come, have been ordered, installed later this week!

SteveC
17-03-10, 05:59 PM
what they cost can I ask and what size did you get

stevet
17-03-10, 10:48 PM
Are they the one's with the unidirectional tread design Jaffa's??...

Dave
18-03-10, 12:22 PM
Quite a few people say good things about Maxxis - and Ive seen them on everything from Suzukis to Jeeps to Tojos and Patrols. Maxxis tyres are competitively priced - check out any Bob Jane dealer for Maxxis MT 762 Bighorn or MT 754 Buckshot Mudder (see BJ Website).

Dave

Pura Vida
18-03-10, 10:54 PM
How do you get the 4 for 3 sale? Direct from the manufacturer? Through all dealers?

Jaffas
28-03-10, 07:16 PM
The 4 for 3 sale is through Goodyear Autocare shops during March. The good thing about it is you only pay for 3, the bad thing about is they charge you the list price for those 3. So for 33x12.5xR15 you pay 3x$460 ish... which yes is expensive, as you can get the tyres from other places for around the $400 mark if you try hard enough... but if you x3 and divide by 4, you get $350/ea (comparative) which suddenly sounds nicer!

I ended up deciding on the Goodyears as my current/previous set did 80k clicks for me and I never had a problem and the new design is meant to be better again... but the Bighorns were a very close second... just so happens the ATO was nice to me this year! next time if I am feeling a bit poorer I would look very hard at the Maxis's

Steve F
28-03-10, 07:32 PM
I was looking at the new MTR's but they're directional now aren't they? That's the main thing that puts me off them. I think I'll be going Bighorns again just wish they had the kevlar sidewalls like the MTR. Now just need to decide on 33's or 35's.

Cheers
Steve

stevet
29-03-10, 10:01 AM
Jax at Blacktown quoted me $350.00 each for Mickey Thompson MTZ's, 33 x 12.5, 15's on Saturday when getting tyres for the better halves commodore there.........
Not a bad tyre from what I heard from different folk's around the place?? Anyone with personal experience lately??.......

reyzor
29-03-10, 01:31 PM
Jax at Blacktown quoted me $350.00 each for Mickey Thompson MTZ's, 33 x 12.5, 15's on Saturday when getting tyres for the better halves commodore there.........
Not a bad tyre from what I heard from different folk's around the place?? Anyone with personal experience lately??.......

steve i run MTZ's on the JK, to be honest i expected more out of the tires, they do wear extremely well though but in the mud they dont clear out as well as i would have hoped, i think my next tire will be trapador's either in 35's or 37's (depending if i wanna lift it more or not)

D.K.
29-03-10, 10:52 PM
One or two people in the club run Radial Claws , im curious - having read quite a few views on this tyre some people love them and others hate them, and there seem to be comments about poor lateral grip. Anybody like to comment? (I think Casey runs Claws on the Colonel doesn't he?).

Incidentally the tread on the new MTR's is so wierd - I think they call it an asymmetrical tread pattern - not very pleasing to the eye, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder :-)

Jaffas
30-03-10, 07:36 AM
Yeah it is an asymmetrical tread on the new MTR's, but I don't think that means directional... there is no indication on the tyres, or in the documentation that they are directional...

Stevet, try Tyre King in Baulkham Hills, I think my quote from them for MTZ was a touch cheaper than $350. From my reading on the web, they are meant to be a very capable tyre, and seem quite popular in my "survey" for the tyres I saw on various 4wd while walking the streets!