PDA

View Full Version : UHF Radio Install

bradleyfutter
12-03-10, 11:44 AM
Hi all,

Anyone installed a UHF Radio in the centre console of a TJ? I am thinking of putting one in there but not sure if:
1 -> its going to be difficult spot to install in terms of running cables etc?
2 -> not going to be a good place to able to secure it properly, might have to bolt/screw it onto some wood and wedge the wood in?
3 -> its going to be an awkward spot to use?

I just like the fact that it will be out of sight - less likely to be stolen, and out the way - less likely to be damaged.

and while we are on the topic of UHF's, anyone have any first hand reviews of the Uniden UH400SX-RM? I can get one nice and cheap on ebay.

your thoughts are always greatly appreciated :)

Brad

Steve F
12-03-10, 03:38 PM
Get a remote head unit and install the main unit somewhere tucked away and out of sight, mine on the XJ is under the dash behind the steel knee pad backing, very hard to get too. The headunit can then be installed pretty much anywhere and if you're really worried even taken out of the Jeep.

Cheers
Steve

Maggie
12-03-10, 05:27 PM
Hi all,

Anyone installed a UHF Radio in the centre console of a TJ? I am thinking of putting one in there but not sure if:
1 -> its going to be difficult spot to install in terms of running cables etc?
2 -> not going to be a good place to able to secure it properly, might have to bolt/screw it onto some wood and wedge the wood in?
3 -> its going to be an awkward spot to use?

I just like the fact that it will be out of sight - less likely to be stolen, and out the way - less likely to be damaged.

and while we are on the topic of UHF's, anyone have any first hand reviews of the Uniden UH400SX-RM? I can get one nice and cheap on ebay.

your thoughts are always greatly appreciated :)

Brad
One of the major prizes we have to raffle at our next two meetings is an IC-400PRO 40+ channel UHF transreceiver. $5 per ticket or 3 for $10
Maggie

SteveC
12-03-10, 07:06 PM
One of the major prizes we have to raffle at our next two meetings is an IC-400PRO 40+ channel UHF transreceiver. $5 per ticket or 3 for $10
Maggie
Put me down for a few tickets maggie...

casey
13-03-10, 12:47 PM
Mine is in the centre console and it works great.

I got the Uniden 500sx which is the full-size version of the 400sx - i find the remote mic easy to use :)

bradleyfutter
16-03-10, 10:16 AM
Mine is in the centre console and it works great.

I got the Uniden 500sx which is the full-size version of the 400sx - i find the remote mic easy to use :)

Yeah cool thanks, good to hear some feed back on the 400sx not many reviews out there on the web about these kind of things. Installed it all bar the antenna now. actually decided to velcro mount it in the centre console, the velcro is rated at 5cm = 1KG holding strength, so i covered the whole mounting bracket in the stuff, there should enough there to hold over 5kgs !! Ran all the cables discretely, spliced the power cable and ground onto the cigarette lighter so its one less hole in the firewall :)

Next question is anyone know where to buy antenna mounts similar to these ones? been trawling the web and like these two options. Seen a few online places, but would prefer to buy in person, no point in paying postage for such a small item.