PDA

View Full Version : Front Drive Shaft Boot Missingn

TRBN8R
12-03-10, 08:44 PM
Hi All

I was under my Jeep the other day doing something and noticed half of the length of the front drive shaft rubber boot missing. Looking at the rust on the splines under the remaining boot it has been missing for a reasonably long period. Looks like at full flex the boot rubbed on the side of the transmission pan and cut itself.

Just wanted to know if someone else has experienced this as well. What will be the effects of driving it as it is now, as I do not want to spend money right now on a new drive shaft as it eats into the mud tire funds. Also how much approx a new aftermarket drive shaft will cost. I do not want to get another stock shaft when this one goes, as it will happen again due to the design of the boot and my 2 inch lift.

Cheers and thanks for the advice in advance.

Mani

rupicon
12-03-10, 09:50 PM
Can you just get a new boot and put it on, apparently they hit the exhaust too at full droop with a lift

SteveC
13-03-10, 08:03 AM
Hi All

I was under my Jeep the other day doing something and noticed half of the length of the front drive shaft rubber boot missing. Looking at the rust on the splines under the remaining boot it has been missing for a reasonably long period. Looks like at full flex the boot rubbed on the side of the transmission pan and cut itself.

Just wanted to know if someone else has experienced this as well. What will be the effects of driving it as it is now, as I do not want to spend money right now on a new drive shaft as it eats into the mud tire funds. Also how much approx a new aftermarket drive shaft will cost. I do not want to get another stock shaft when this one goes, as it will happen again due to the design of the boot and my 2 inch lift.

Cheers and thanks for the advice in advance.

Mani

try tomwoods http://www.4xshaft.com excellent company

casey
13-03-10, 11:42 AM
an auto JK with a lift will tend to do this.

most common fix: trim the pan to avoid damage when flexing.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=126589#post126589