PDA

View Full Version : Sydney to Uluru

bradleyfutter
22-03-10, 05:14 PM
Hi All,

I'm floating the idea of a Sydney to Uluru camping trip with a mate in September. Anyone done this trip before? Got any advice or tips on duration, route, camp sites, things to see and do etc?

Thanks,
Brad

Steve F
22-03-10, 05:23 PM
The Jeep Jamboree is in September, just in case you didn't know :) Sorry, cant help with the question.

Cheers
Steve

D.K.
22-03-10, 09:22 PM
Did Sydney to Uluru via Walkers Crossing (Innaminka-Birdsville) and then across the French-Line to Mt Dare in 2008. Did the trip effortlessly in the despised (by some) GU Patrol .
Returned along the Stuart Highway down to Port Augusta and then across South Australia through the Wine Country and then along the Hay Plains road back through Mildura, Hay and Wagga. We did the 6000km in 15 days but allow longer for a more relaxed trip.

You could do the Hay Plains route and head out to Mungo NP. Then up to Broken Hill before heading down into SA to pick up the Stuart Highway. Check out WhiteCliffs underground stuff and Coober Pedy enroute.

Dave

glend
22-03-10, 11:01 PM
I would urge caution if your planning to cross the Simpson in a TJ. The major issue will be fuel that you need to carry to get across. Talk to Dave Grimes, he has fuel figures for the various Jeeps worked out for the July SJC Simpson Trip.

D.K.
23-03-10, 09:06 AM
A good route would be to work your way thru the Flinders then up the Oodnadatta track onto the Stuart Highway. No problems with fuel concerns that way. Check out "Skytrek" if you do the Flinders!

Dave
23-03-10, 09:50 AM
Hi Brad,

As Glen said, if you are thinking of doing Birdsville to Mt Dare or Oodnadatta, you need to think about carrying 180litres of fuel (main + jerry cans) for a 6 cylender petrol vehicle. This is the recommended amount for a Simpson crossing from the Tag Along operators that run this trip. When I did Oodnadatta to Birdsville in my 4 cyl diesel KJ I carried 140 litres. Similar distance, but everyone says that the trip is slightly easier from West to East... It is already getting pretty warm in September, and hot temps make the sand softer. I have a mate who did the trip last year in August, 40 plus degree days, and used 156 litres of diesel in his Patrol.

Dave

bradleyfutter
23-03-10, 01:17 PM
Hi all,

I won’t be doing any extended off road sections as I won’t have the space to carry much more than 40ltrs making my total fuel load 100ltrs (and in my TJ will probably only give me a range of 600-700kms). It will only be my car (my mate will be travelling with me) so I don’t want to be to adventurous because I don’t want to be in a position where i need to be pulled out and have no one to actually pull me out :)

We will probably have around 3 weeks to do the trip so will be taking our time, and would prefer to camp bush style as much as possible. and this trip is more about the journey than the destination, and not so much about the 4wd-ing (yeah yeah I know, blasphemy… blasphemy…)

Maybe with this information it will make the recommendation a bit easier :)

Thanks,
Brad

glend
23-03-10, 02:13 PM
Well if your sticking to roads then the obvious route is the Barrier Highway to Broken Hill (via Nyngan, Cobar, Wilcannia); and then from Broken Hill to Port Augusta SA and up the Stuart Highway to Coober Pedy, Marla, Kulgera to Yulara and Uluru. Longest leg is probably the one to Coober Pedy, but there is fuel available within your range but wise to carry at least one jerry as backup.
The must sees if your out that way would be the Western Macdonnell Ranges sights like the Serpentine gorge, Kings Canyon, etc all of which can be done on a loop around the Mereenie Loop Road and the Namatjira Drive. Plenty of camping spot around there. Go the the upcoming 4x4 Show at Rose Hill and head for the Norther Territory stand - they will have heaps of maps and guidebooks of the area and much of it will be free. They can also help you with trip planning.

Dave
25-03-10, 04:33 PM
Hi Brad,

Dave again, Barrier Hwy to Broken Hill, OR Sturt Hwy from Wagga to Balranald, North to Lake Mungo and Menindee lakes (couple of great spots for camps and photos), then up to Broken Hill. Follow my itinerary for the Simpson Trip (pretty sure you have one) around to the Flinders Ranges and up to Marree. Then you could nip up to Level Post Bay - camp at Muloorina. Then leave my itinerary, start up the Oodnadatta Track, look at the mound springs and Old Ghan Stations, camp at William Creek (Fuel). Continue North past Algebuckina Bridge (worth it) to Oodnadatta (Fuel).

From there you can decide to contunue to Mt Dare and on to Alice, although I believe that trek is pretty rough and remote, following Old Ghan route. Or you take the road from Oodna to Coober Pedy or Marla, and continue as Glen said. You should carry one Jerry, but you should not really need extra fuel to do the Oodnadatta Track, it is a GOOD drive, lots of sights!

If you are going to Uluru, you also HAVE to go to Kings Canyon on the way to or from Alice Springs!

I'll have my maps at the next meeting, come and have a chat.

Dave

AngusM
01-04-10, 11:06 AM
I did Sydney to Uluru via Cooktown in Jan if that counts :)

I stayed on the black top but there are some short cuts if you're offroad capable. NT is however deceptively empty. Long stretches in between nothing. eg Alice to the Rock is around 4 hours drive each way on the main roads.