PDA

View Full Version : Locker Recommendation

Pura Vida
07-04-10, 02:22 PM
I’m going to the US in June and thinking about bringing back some lockers and I’m looking for a recommendation on which brand/type to get (my knowledge is very basic). Also will front lockers alone be fine or do I need rear lockers. I figure (after new tires) getting lockers would be the next logical step to improve Pura Vida’s capability for a reasonable price without major modifications.

I’m looking for something basic that’s a good value for money if I won’t use them very often. I’m only running 31’s so I figure I don’t need to be able to climb anything too hardcore anyway.

Pura Vida is a 2001 TJ sport with a 4L engine. He’s got 31” tires with a 2” lift and disconnects. I assume the axles and gears are stock standard.

reyzor
07-04-10, 03:40 PM
in my opinion, if your going to do lockers then you may aswell do ratios too,

again in my opinion arb air lockers are the way to go.....but thats just my opinion...

Pura Vida
07-04-10, 06:04 PM
I assume that different lockers are better for different purposes and ARB's seem to be the best performing but don't seem to be economical for someone who doesn't use them very often, which is my application.

Cpage66
08-04-10, 08:43 AM
Probably some lunchbox lockers would be best for the way you use yours Ben...

And they're small enough to fit in your luggage!

Steve F
09-04-10, 10:32 AM
Yep, a Lockright Lokka or similar can be picked up whilst in the US for around $320USD and fitted without having to do any gear setup or have any knowledge of it :) The only thing is its an auto locker so will make some noise on the road (depends on your driving style as to how much etc) Its a lot cheaper than an ARB and has less to fail on it though. I have a detroit to go in the back of my XJ which is the next step up in strength and probably the preferred option of the auto lockers if you're going to change ratios. If you do decide to change ratios the locker that you buy now wont fit with the new ratios so just bear that in mind as well.

Cheers
Steve

Cpage66
09-04-10, 04:36 PM
And if you're going to North Cackalacky, the best folks to see in that area is north of Atlanta and they 'll ship. Check out Performance Offroad Center

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/

Pura Vida
13-04-10, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the locker suggestions and website to buy them.

Will the lockright locker make noise on the road in 2wd if I just install them on the front? Do you suggest just installing them on the front axle to start with?