PDA

View Full Version : water/electrical problems

snoik
11-04-10, 09:01 PM
After being stuck in the water at Bylong, my TJ has been playing up(dead spot/missing) the motor didn't stop when it was under water and never missed a beat all the time I was at Bylong, but on the way home it developed a miss, I thought there must have been water in something so I unplugged the electrical connections on the motor, nothing stood out, all looked good.

The check engine light is also on.

What do I look for next, any idea's.

sbadman
12-04-10, 05:22 AM
Easiest step is to work out what the computer is trying to tell you via the Check Engine light. Your scan gauge will make that process easy, else you can use this site (http://www.offroaders.com/tech/jeep/TJ_diagnostic_codes.htm) to obtain and translate the numerical code via the check engine light.

My money's going to be on water in something like the distributor or spark plug leads, or one of the sensors. I believe the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) may also has some say in when the spark plugs fire, but I doubt it's a serviceable part.

Hunno
12-04-10, 08:17 AM
After swamping the ZJ, My problem was as Steve T said the Throttle Position Sensor. It was ok to drive home but after about 4 hours the engine check light came on. Water slowly got in I'm guessing.
I still have the one Steve gave me, as my ZJ is the upgrade 97-00 model so the TPS was different & I couldn't use it. He wanted $75 for if you want it or even just to try it's a quick swap.

Hunno
12-04-10, 08:22 AM
http://www.wooders.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=525&products_id=3849

Wooders link to TJ TPS

looks like it is different to the one I've got.

snoik
12-04-10, 06:45 PM
thanks for the help, I haven't found the problem yet, but I've got plenty of fault codes to check out 12/15/21/24/47, it's gotta be water in something, have to keep looking.
if I do find the problem will the faults reset or is there something I need to do

sbadman
12-04-10, 07:11 PM
15 is Vehicle Speed Sensor
21 is O2 sensor(s)
24 is TPS
47 is most likely Alternator (low voltage/not charging)

12 generally just means you unhooked the battery in the last 50 starts, which is also how long codes are stored in memory for.