PDA

View Full Version : Warning for Winch users

stevet
16-04-10, 12:42 PM
Used my winch at Bylong over Easter. There was a sudden, short billow of smoke but checking eyes saw no fire underneath as I was in a bit of long grass/weed so on with the winching, no issues. Turned out later that the earth strap from the right side of the motor to the chasis was still the original weak strap which was on the TJ from original and was not upgraded when the winch was installed???. So I was the one which finally saw the earth strap fry itself completely with resulting burning out of the main computor on the TJ>:(. All earth straps/points since checked and upgraded to cope with the power usage of the winch. Some sensors rooted in the process (O2's) as well:rolleyes:.
So everyone check those standard earth straps and change them to something capable of handling the power your winch uses/generates under load or you know what can happen.........
Stephen T.

Steve F
16-04-10, 12:56 PM
After speaking to you last night you got me thinking. Does the earth from your winch run back to the battery or to the body/frame of the Jeep. If it runs to the frame or body of the Jeep then the earth strap from the battery to the body is part of the system. If it runs back to the battery then the earth strap is not part of the system. I couldn't remember how mine was setup but after a quick look It seems I ran the earth back to the battery which seems to make more sense and should be safer. Seems I upgraded the earth strap as well anyway though as its the same size as the winch power cable :)

Cheers
Steve

Wooders
17-04-10, 01:38 AM
Definately should earth back to the battery.

sbadman
17-04-10, 08:51 AM
Definately should earth back to the battery.

Concur. This applies for any high current load really, including driving lights, fridges, etc.

The engine to body strap is the return for the alternator and starter motor. During winching the alternator may supplement the battery, and these straps likely weren't designed for the alternator to be running maximum output continuously (approx 90A rating).

Your upgraded strap which looked to be about #2 AWG should be plenty though. You may even find it cranks a bit quicker when starting :D

stevet
19-04-10, 09:08 PM
Back on the road at last. New O2 sensors. all earth straps replaced with what Scott said-- #2 AWG??-- and another to the battery as well for overkill as it was earthed back to the chasis on install whenever that was years ago....... new leads, plugs, oil etc,etc................