PDA

View Full Version : Car Park Thieves at the Camping Show Rosehill

glend
19-04-10, 09:54 PM
I was out at the Caravan and Camping Show at Rosehill today and when I returned to my car I noticed that my UHF antenna base had been unscrewed from the front bar (it couldn't be removed as the cable is though a hole in base and there is no slot to slide it out, the whole bracket needs to come off the bar to get it). I walked around the Jeep to check for 'other' interference and found the rego plate had been flipped up to expose the spare tyre screws (security bolt there). There were a couple of guys hanging around a few rows away who didn't look like they were coming to or going away from the show.

So watch out if your going out there and avoid the infield carpark (no security guys there at all). Its a great place for thieves as many of the vehicles are kitted out with racks, lights, antennas etc.

sbadman
20-04-10, 06:17 AM
I won't be going this year, as I can't justify (nor really afford!) the $20 entry fee, let alone anything being sold at the show. I would suggest though for those that do go that if you have a regular car to take it instead. As Glen says, there will be so many potential targets there for thieves that they won't even look sideways as something like a Commodore with nothing easily steal-able except hubcaps!

SteveC
20-04-10, 08:52 AM
Good point on the parking...
I went on Saturday and think $19 is a bit rich but there is a wealth of information to be had.
I tried to buy something but the queues were so long I gave up. Probably won't go again unless I think I need something speciific

Maggie
20-04-10, 10:19 AM
Good point on the parking...
I went on Saturday and think $19 is a bit rich but there is a wealth of information to be had.
I tried to buy something but the queues were so long I gave up. Probably won't go again unless I think I need something speciific

We went last year with specific targets in mind and came away with several good purchases at show prices. We won't go again this year as we don't really need anything and even during the week it is pretty busy with long waits to get served.

Maggie

bradleyfutter
20-04-10, 11:50 AM
i think all the show is good for is to be able to see all the different products in one place. Not a place to get a good price, well not this year anyway. I went last year and the sales were FAR better, this year was pretty average :)

I went looking for a new tent, so you pay $40 for 2 people to get in, after queuing 1/2 hour to get into the car park, then another 1/2 hour to buy tickets, to be served by staff who really aren't that interested in being there, to only save $60-$80 on a tent that i didn't buy because i would have had to queue for another 1/2 hour at the register... whats your time worth? 1.5 hours of queuing for effectively a $20 discount, i think ill go to a camping store next time and see if i can haggle a good price there :)

Dave
20-04-10, 12:05 PM
Boots and Anaconda are both running sales at their stores to coincide with the Camping Show. Definately worth going and haggling!

Dave

Heidi
20-04-10, 12:09 PM
Don't forget there will be the new show out at the Sydney Drag Way in August. It will in theory be more targeted at 4wding and I think they are aiming for the cost to be $10.
the 4wd Masters is on the same weekend at Eastern Creek (across the road)