PDA

View Full Version : new jk

r1chard
28-04-10, 09:18 PM
I'm looking for some advice on clubs and training, someone at ausjeepoffroad pointed me in this direction.

having been off-roading a bit with friends, and in hired 4wd, and taking a subi forester places where it was in danger of drowning, slipping down hills, etc, i decided i wanted a 4wd with greater capacity, a fun factor, a few highway safety features, and ended up getting a new jk unlimited crd, with a plan to learn to drive it off road, and gradually modify it.

Apart from rock rails and off-road group, it's stock right now, and from the off-roading I've done in it's first month, I'm already seeing things I need and to working on an upgrade priority list LOL.

But before I start spending, I figure more knowledge, skill, and driving experience than I currently have are probably help me make better decisions on how and what to upgrade.

So I am looking at joining a club in Sydney where I can learn the basics properly. Is this it? I read somewhere you sometimes do 'beginners' stuff @ somewhere near Lithgow, but I can't see much info on accredited (by who?) training here.

So if you've got any recommendations on how to proceed I'd love to hear your advice!

Thanks!
Richard

CraigB
28-04-10, 09:23 PM
Hau and welcome mate. Is the avatar a pic of your rig? Just turn up and join the club. There are a lot of different vehicles and different types of trips. You learn more here than in a non-Jeep specific 4WD club, simply because everyone else drives Jeeps around with you.

Your'e always welcome to come on a little jaunt with me - just text when your'e bored.

CRB 0438 212 739

Steve F
28-04-10, 11:42 PM
SJC doesn't have accredited training. All of our training is incorporated into the club trips, if we know you're a beginner then you'll get special attention and helped every step of the way and hopefully by the end of your first trip you'll have gained some knowledge and confidence and can build on that the next trip out. We have run beginner days before so if you're interested in one just post up and ask for one :) in the meantime a good first trip is Menai, close to Sydney and we have members VERY familiar with the place and know every step and drop :) Another option coming up is Stockton, sand is always different and they'll be plenty of experienced sand drivers there.

Anyway, welcome :)

Cheers
Steve

sbadman
29-04-10, 06:23 AM
I concur with what Steve F said, my first real 4WDing experience was a Menai trip with the club, and under the guidance of one of the clubs former Trip Coordinators and a Menai expert, I'm now confident enough to tackle almost any obstacle (perhaps too confident? :D)

Unfortunately going to Menai does require being a member of a club linked with the 4WD Association (which the Sydney Jeep Club is) however if you're in or around Western Sydney there are some spots around where you can get experience the way the JK performs without getting too far away from sealed roads.

And of course there's the club meeting next Wednesday at Regents Park Bowling Club. No four wheel driving obviously, but you'll have the opportunity to meet a number of other JK owners and see what they've done with their rigs!

r1chard
29-04-10, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I've been out to Menai and Lucas Heights area a bit mountain biking a couple of years ago, came across some 4WDers and saw some pretty incredible stuff on some on some steep rocky sections in, and especially out of a gully - although a mountain biking mate told me some of the area has been graded recently and is a bit less intense. I don't know if it's exactly the same area, but I would wonder about doing it in a stock unlimited as far as the stand-over angle is concerned.

Recovery points right now I've just got the stock tow loops, and gear right now limited to a snatch strap and a couple of shackles.

I'll do my best to make it to Regents Park next week, so looking forward to meeting you all.

Cheers
Richard

Hunno
29-04-10, 10:55 AM
Richard,

Don't worry about your JK being stock. I've come from a modified Landcruiser & Patrol back ground & I have been very surprised by the capability of my stock stranded ZJ Grand Cherokee which is not as capable as a JK of the rack.

Hope to see you at the next meeting.
Chris.

Steve F
29-04-10, 11:14 AM
Plenty of tracks down at Menai suiting different grades, your JK will get through a lot but if the comfort level isn't there then you wont be pushed and can just watch the harder tracks and attempt what you feel comfortable with. All types of vehicles in the club go out there from stock to heavily modified and they all find something fun to try with no pressure to go outside your comfort zone unless you want to :)

Cheers
Steve

Dave
29-04-10, 04:09 PM
Hi r1,

Don't forget longer trips too. A visit to Bylong on the June Long Weekend would be well worth it, a great variety of driving with plenty of people to talk to, and great camping. Then, if you are REEEEEALY keen, you can sign up to come out to Birdsville in July. See Posts in Trip Suggestions.

Dave

r1chard
29-04-10, 05:50 PM
Hi Dave

I'd noticed that trip already :) I love outback road trips and bush camping, just wish my boss and my bank manager understood better... Already I'm committed to a trip in September with some mates, though, going back to corner country for the second year in a row.

-r1

Bear
29-04-10, 08:01 PM
R1chard, join the club, then as a member you will be eligible to attend on this trip SJC #6 to Bylong. Come up with the Sat. convoy come home Monday, no hassles with your boss