PDA

View Full Version : Mud Tyre Suggestions?

Steve F
04-06-10, 11:01 PM
So I'm looking around at tyres at the moment,not planning on buying just yet but working out some costs etc. I'm open to any suggestion for a mud tyre, needs to come in a 35x12.5x15 and needs to be a radial (that's for Wooders as I'm guessing he'll suggest some super aggressive bias tyre ;) )

Anyway, what do you suggest, personal experiences would be great.

Currently my top three are BFG KM2, Mickey Thompson MTZ and Maxxis Bighorn.

Cheers
Steve

SteveC
05-06-10, 04:58 PM
Bfg, surprisingly quiet and works well in all conditions, including the tarmac and even in sand. Plus cheaper than most others

stevet
05-06-10, 07:27 PM
BFG are giving away a Bushranger Black Max air compressor with purchase of 4 or more A/T or M/T's until July 31st, if you need a new compressor as well?? What about the M/T Claws?? Looking along the same lines but in 33's for the TJ. Mine will be be basically for off-road only, with the current A/T's kept for daily drive duties................

Steve F
05-06-10, 07:38 PM
Got some quotes today on the BFG KM2 and Maxxis Bighorn, both in a 35". Even though it'll be a few months before I buy I couldn't help myself. BFG was $379 a tyre and Bighorn was $285!!! Bighorn is way ahead at the moment especially since it's what I run at the moment. Always keen to try something else though.

I'm not that keen on the claws, I dont really want a directional tyre as I normally rotate the spare in the mix as well and that sort of limits it a bit. Anyone know the priceing on the MTR compared to the BFG?

Cheers
Steve

Wooders
05-06-10, 11:47 PM
Michelin XML? Ops sorry you said 35 not 53 ;)
Simex? Hey they are a radial ;)

Jaffas
06-06-10, 07:21 AM
Steve, when I priced 33" tyres before Easter I was looking at MTR, MTZ and bighorn. Basically the pricing went MTR > MTZ > Bighorns.
Only reason I bought the MTR rather than the Bighorn was that Goodyear had a 4 for 3 sale, which basically evened the prices out, and I had really enjoyed my previous MTR's.
If I had to buy tires again, the Bighorns would probably be my first choice if I could not get the others on sale.

Cpage66
06-06-10, 10:08 AM
http://www.silverstone.com.my/#1275782890717

MOP44R
07-06-10, 09:09 AM
I have 35x12.5x17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, there only down to about 65%ish now and have done over 30,000Km without issues, they really are one of the best tyres going round. When these are pass to the tire heaven in the sky I will replace with MTZ again or Claws for sure.

Hunno
07-06-10, 02:51 PM
Why does nobody use Simex? When you look a places like Maylasia in the rainforrests thats all the use. Surely they now mud better than most. Are they no good on rocks? If they where your off road only set not daily drivers would they not be a good choice?

Steve F
07-06-10, 03:08 PM
If you're talking about the extreme then they are supposed to be great in thick mud and rocks, also excellent if you need to dig a trench in the yard or like to go deaf when you drive on the road ;) As an offroad only tyre they'd be a good choice but with huge lugs like that don't spin them up too much as when they grip say bye bye to you axle or CV (on the ZJ)

I think they're not so popular as they are pretty much an offroad only tyre.

Cheers
Steve

reyzor
07-06-10, 03:51 PM
arent they reffered to as axle snappers?

stevet
16-06-10, 08:15 PM
Ended up with Micky Thompsons MTZ's 33" x 12.5", with King black steel 8'' rims... Pleased so far off/on road. Not to noisey at all, grip well....................

Reszo
16-06-10, 09:11 PM
The boys over in the US are raving about the MTR Kevlar - Seems like a good option.

Wolfe
20-06-10, 10:32 PM
Ended up with Micky Thompsons MTZ's 33" x 12.5", with King black steel 8'' rims... Pleased so far off/on road. Not to noisey at all, grip well....................

If you don't mind me asking what did they set you back?

stevet
20-06-10, 11:10 PM
If you don't mind me asking what did they set you back?
PM sent Wolfe.....................