PDA

View Full Version : recovery points on jeeps

reyzor
12-06-10, 09:20 AM
morning all,

it has been brought up time and time again with he ever growing new members who are joining our club the question of recovery points.

i know the JK comes with a hoop on the front and back (as do other models) but it was my understanding that these are only tie down points and such should NOT be used for recoveries.

i also know that some members have used these with success but do you really want to risk it?

the reason for the post is, are we as a club allowing the use of these as recovery points?

open for suggestion but i personally would not want to see damage to a car or person due to the use of an unsafe tie down point as a recovery point.

thoughts??

Steve F
12-06-10, 11:45 AM
Yep, tiedown points. The JK manual says they can be used for emergency offroad recovery but then it says not to tow with them, I'd be reluctant to do a big recovery using them, maybe a short flat tow but not a big snatch. Ideally a bar with proper recovery points is needed or aftermarket recovery points, I think Wooders sells them. As for the club stance on them, on the TJ historically they weren't considered recovery points and I wouldn't have snatched from them personally and the club didn't consider them recovery points, the blurb in the JK manual blurs the line a bit now and I'd consider recovering from them on a case by case basis.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32418&d=1240620868

Cheers
Steve

glend
12-06-10, 11:55 AM
As far as the rear is concerned, I believe the JK Mopar towbar can be used as a rated recovery point.

reyzor
12-06-10, 12:34 PM
thanks steve, thats what i thought aswell, personally i wouldnt snatch off them at all, its all the unkown forces and loads which imo makes them unsuitable.

now do we as a club state that anywhere as im sure people would like to come on club trips but dont have the correct recovery points, what happens then? do we leave a car stranded due to the lack of safe recovery points?

Wooders
13-06-10, 09:48 PM
Lend them a shovel to start digging.
I have had to recover a few people in the past without proper recovery points - in each case (except one) I have been able to wrap a strap around their diff and gave a gentle pull.
Had one bloke that insisted on using the end of his bumper, even after I declined - I then offered to help dig him out, which got a rude response so I got int the car & drove off.....Oh yeah he was stuck in the middle of lavis lane so I knew someone else would come along very soon.....
Oh yeah I wasn't travelling with him, just found him stuck there & we offered to try to help - tard didn't even have basic recovery gear.

khalak
15-06-10, 09:57 AM
I know that my TJ came with 2 u-bolt type things on each bumper. Thought of using these as recovery points, the problem is that a shackle won't even fit through them. So, now I have 2 fancy towhooks attached where they used to be.