PDA

View Full Version : Lithgow to Capetree

Reszo
16-06-10, 06:10 PM
Took the family out on a day trip for the first time in the new JK. Started off with at the Zig Zag railway at Lithgow, first stop being the 'Lost City' Then started making our way the long way round to the entrance of the Gardens of Stone Nat Park, stopping off at the Aboriginal Cave paintings. Decided at this point that it was getting too late, so drove down to Newness and then back on the freeway for the trip home. Didn't even get a chance to try the lockers, but I did disconnect the sway bar for a short rocky section, just to see if it made a difference.

I can see why many people complain about the 'minivan' motor. Some of the hills on the way back home around Richmond were a third gear affair. And that was with 2 adults, 4 children and not much else. Would have been interesting with the added weight of some armor, big tires and a load of camping gear, let alone with a trailer. And this was with the Rubi's 4.1 gearing.

Got the JK very muddy which was the whole point.

Sorry if the trip description is a little vague. I was following my friend in his Prado 120 TD. While he was going round the mud, I was ploughing straight through them, but then again, he had no problems up the hills!

Keen to go out on a trip with the forum to really have some fun. Those Toymoda drivers are a bunch of sissies :D

SteveC
16-06-10, 06:47 PM
Welcome aboard Reszo an dyou not far from me too...

I always thought if I got changed my grand V8 I'd buy a JK but always worried about lack of power. Is this a real issue

Bear
16-06-10, 07:48 PM
My petrol v6 manual 2door JK has plenty of power, even towing a trailer loaded with camping gear,if I don't want to be passed going up hill it does'nt happen.
With judicious use of the gear box I can maintain the speed limit, if someone tries to pass in the overtaking lane they have to exceed the speed limit. You can't just stick it in top gear and go every where you have to use the box

Reszo
16-06-10, 09:00 PM
Is this a real issue

In every day driving, with the 6 spd it almost feels sporty. I have fun driving my Jeep like a hot rod (lots of revs, lots of sound, but not really that fast) Comparing with my departed TD Pathfinder, that very easily pulled up hills in 4th gear (auto) when the JK needed to be in 3rd. But the Jeep feels strained. But then again, it may just be a less refined engine in a minimally insulated box.

Is it a problem? no. As bear said, if I do not want to be passed, I will not be. And I can easy stay at the posted speed limit. But it is not effortless.

Do I regret my purchase - nope! Still in the honeymoon period, and enjoying every drive.