PDA

View Full Version : Mud flaps - legal length?

glend
19-06-10, 12:25 PM
I am replacing my rigid molded Jeep oem mud flaps with some DIY flexible ones I have made up from insertion rubber sheeting. I copied the original lengths for now. Does anyone know what the legal length requirement is in NSW (ie height off the road surface or whatever measurement is used)?

Secondly I am putting small tieback chains on the rear flaps to keep them from being ripped off when reversing on rough ground. Has anyone done this and if so how?

Cheers
Glen

sbadman
19-06-10, 12:50 PM
It isn't height so much as the departure angle from the rear tyres, specifically 20 degrees off the road surface (see attachment copied from ADR's)

Hunno
19-06-10, 01:03 PM
when I blue slipped my patrol ute mud flaps could be no higher than 150mm from the ground.
Then lasted about the first gutter I reversed up when I got home.

stevet
19-06-10, 01:43 PM
Went 5 years with the mud flaps off the ZJ having no hassles at all except buying the replacement set to start with--- Still for sale, rear only :)--- I will have to see what happens when the next rego is due on the TJ.........

SteveC
19-06-10, 01:51 PM
I thought I read they had to be 300mm from ground. But if you notice a lot of newer cars do not even have them....

Hunno
19-06-10, 03:47 PM
I thought I read they had to be 300mm from ground. But if you notice a lot of newer cars do not even have them....
My mistake it was 300mm.

glend
19-06-10, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys, I had heard it was 300mm in South Australia - where most of the Desert Trip is taking place, so I will make it that height for now.

Wooders
19-06-10, 09:44 PM
I got away with no mudflaps on my TJ for years....then that's what they pinged me for eventually.
Worth having them on theire as it's otherwise just making you an easy target.