PDA

View Full Version : To Disconnect or not to Disconnect

David Eyles
19-07-10, 06:14 PM
HI there

Good to meet some of you at last Meeting

I was there with my son Thomas (who is mostly Blind)

Can anyone advise me on whether to install TKS Quick Disconnects in my 97 TJ

Will they help that much?

I am concerned about springs falling out or sway bar rotating out of place when disconnected

Sorry for being such a Noob

stevet
19-07-10, 07:07 PM
Disconnect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have R/Express type that have a retaining lug/thingy with a securing pin up higher to secure the swaybar out off the way when disconnected off-road. Think JKS have something similiar with their setup. Larger bump stops will help with spring movement depending on your lift, but they will get past places that you once stopped at or went around. Amazing what having good wheel travel & traction can do to get you through situations instead of waiting to be snatched-out when you get struck........................Extended brake lines to if you intend to lift as well...............
Cheers,
Stephen T.

David Eyles
19-07-10, 07:15 PM
Thanks for that Steve

On another subject was I talking to you about a second hand winch and maybe a bar? or was that another Steve?

stevet
19-07-10, 09:10 PM
Thanks for that Steve

On another subject was I talking to you about a second hand winch and maybe a bar? or was that another Steve?
Enougher Steve somewhere I think!!

Jaffas
20-07-10, 09:05 PM
Disconnecting the front sway bar will provide increase suspension travel while off road and makes a huge difference to keeping your wheels on the ground. note that it will decrease cornering stability at road speeds... but you should reconnect when you air up before you hit the roads again. If you don't have the fancy disconnects, keep a packet of cable ties handy to tie the sway bar links up out of the way.

Disconnecting is the FIRST and imho the only mod you should do until you have driven off road and enjoyed and learnt as much about your car as you can while it is stock.
After that think about what purpose you want your Jeep to fulfill (touring, rock crawling, etc), decide how what specs you want to end up with and then decide on a plan to get it there without doing mods more than once...
but most of all, enjoy driving it!